1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

have you bought an LED lightbulb yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by quartering, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

i saw the brightest, whitest, most pure light i've ever seen in my life today. it was a $37 LED bulb on display at home depot. i think i'll have to go back and buy it tomorrow. what do you think of LED's?
  2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Too expensive.
  3. gun1357

gun1357 Member

They are supposed to last 20 years. Cows give more milk under this light, just think of the implications. Ron
  4. 221

221 Well-Known Member

<em>"Cows give more milk under this light, just think of the implications."</em>

Do they affect all females that way? consider those implications...LOL
  5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I bought one to check it out in my garage lighting the stairs up to my man cave. It is not affected by winter cold like the corkscrew fluorescents either. I am happy with it so far. I think that these types of lights won't really get popular until the incandescents go bye bye. As long as you can buy a bulb at ACE hardware for $.99, not too many of the $30 ones will sell. Once all that you can get is an LED or a fluorescent, they will eventually catch on. I have switched all of my flashlights over to these new LED bulbs. If you have never seen one of the newer Mag Light LED units.. O.M.F.G!!!! They throw a beam of light that will thoroughly blow you away. You have to see one to believe it. I am completely sold on those.

JK
  6. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

I bought a six pack. Put two in the lights on each side of the garage and they lasted two days. Replaced those and the same thing happened. I returned them to Home Depot and the clerk asked why I was returning them. I told her they were too bright. She didn't bat an eye and refunded my money. I think the failure may be related to the electric dusk to dawn light sensors I put them in.
    Rich
  7. gun1357

gun1357 Member

They probably would have given you a refund even if you had been honest with them. They might have good use for the information. That's just me. Ron
  8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I agree with Ron

I have some 9 watt flourcent that are inverded and pointing down I was told less life time on them due to heat collecting at the base... I hope that makes sense??

Jim
  9. oz

oz Active Member

many flashlights and automotive bulbs are LED's. price should come down. oz
  10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I read an article the other day on these bulbs - a Dutch company won a competition for the production of a 100 Watt replacement LED bulb.

The bulb sold for around $40, but local power companies are supposed to give rebates (part of the competition was that the bulb needed to be made available for $20 or less).

The gist of the article was that your local power company MAY give a rebate for buying these bulbs...

Worth a look.
  11. shooterIII

shooterIII Member

I loaded up on incandescent bulbs so at 70+ I figure I will not have to purchase any of the other things.
  12. 3dram8

3dram8 TS Member

This is similar to the dollar coin, the metric system, etc. As long as people have a choice & consider our present system to be somehow superior, they will cling to the paper dollar and the English system of measurement. ....Rick
  13. schockstrap

schockstrap Member

As a disclaimer: I don't use the English system of units - I cling to US Customary Units ;-).

Regardless, I haven't had a great experience with LED bulbs. I've not yet found one that puts out as much light as a similarly sized incandescent bulb. Granted, most of my experience has been with the smaller format bulbs used in my exterior lighting fixtures (I hate changing the bulbs, and incandescent bulbs lasted maybe 6 months tops). LEDs were just terrible in that case, almost no light and it cost me a fortune. Small format fluorescent bulbs work fine in the same fixtures, though they do take a while to warm up in the winter. To me LEDs have been long on promise and short on delivering any value.

--Dan
  14. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

worthless for now - those are what the common man can purchase- maybe there are some others at much higher prices that work better

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  15. surfcitydude

surfcitydude TS Member

Im a gen. contractor and here in Calif., there is a energy code (title 24) that requires your primary lighting in the kitchen to be energy efficient, which means LED or fluorescent (fixed base, no screw in). I recently remodeled a kitchen using 6 LED fixtures in place of the 6, 48" flour. tubes that were recessed in the ceiling. Unbelievable! The lights were so bright, the customer had me add a dimmer (no dimming flour.). These units use a standard 6" recessed housing, like the ones used in ceiling can lights. I bought mine from an electrical supply warehouse for $45/each. They are Cree brand and they offer them for both 6" cans and 4" cans. The usage is 12 watts per light and best of all, no added heat in the kitchen. LED's are the wave of lighting now and in the future. If you already have the existing cans in place, it is an easy retrofit to change over to the new LED's. I tried 2 from Home Depot on my own home and found no problems but the Cree lights had a bit more heat sink on the unit.
  16. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

When they started making LED safety equipment for emergency equipment, the small police department I worked at, glummed on to them like ugly on a Liberal woman.

As time passed more and more colors became availalbe in all sorts of things, from the light bars that go on top of a marked car, to the portables that attached to the sun visors in the unmarked.

Because of the smaller mounts, colors, running cooler, lighter weight and reduced current draws, they turned out to be a welcomed replacement to strobes which were hotter, shorter life and heavy electrical draws on the cars system.

This turned out to have a real impact with savings in batteries, wiring and fuel costs.

They are just as bright as strobes, if not brighter.
  17. Chichay

Chichay Active Member

LEDs will become more popular are prices go down. LED flashlights are cheap. They're very bright and because they use much less power, the batteries last considerably longer.. something to think about because it seems whenever you need to use a flashlight, its battery is usually weak or dead! LED lights in my car are unbelievable.
  18. schockstrap

schockstrap Member

If the fixture that you're putting them in is designed for an LED then I'm sure they're fine and provide plenty of light. LED flashlights have a good parabolic reflector and/or a lens to focus the light, and they're typically fine. I think the issue is with using fixtures that were designed for bare incandescent bulbs. When the LED bulbs are just sitting out in space they don't appear as bright as a similarly sized incandescent bulb.

I'd love nothing more than to change all of my household fixtures to LEDs once and not have to change a lightbulb for 15-20 years. Right now I get about 3-6 months out of most incandescent bulbs and 5-7 years out of compact fluorescents (my wife deems these unacceptable wherever they might be directly exposed, so mainly in my garage and workshop). Since my wife and kids never seem to notice a burnt out bulb, I get the pleasure of changing all of the bulbs, and it drives me nutz. Naturally my wife insisted on getting a lighting designer when we built our house, and every space seems to have about twice as many light fixtures as I would ever feel comfortable using at one time so I get this pleasure often :-(.

--Dan
  19. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I have switched two lights to LEDS and about eleven other lights to the compact fluorescent in my house that was built 25 years ago (due to the idiots that wired and the inspectors that allowed it to pass).

I have two circuits that are way overloaded and should have been split into four. I have since ran one extra circuit and without going into a long explanation.. that one extra circuit plus the fluorescent bulbs and LEDS have now fixed my problem of constantly tripped circuits when say a high AMP appliance as two portable fans are turned on in the evening with the exterior lighting turned on, etc.. (SARCASTICALLY TYPED)

One brief example expanding on the above reference.. the morons wired my exterior lighting to include security lights into the same circuit that my entire finished basement is on and the stairway outlets and ceiling fan at the top of the stairs!

Regardless, replacing eight bulbs high watt bulbs with 26 watt bulbs really helped in my situation!

With that being said, if the circuits would have been correctly run to begin with... I would totally be using cheaper bulbs!
  20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

I still think that the LED's are too overpriced still at this time. Another two years maybe less and then the average family should be able to afford them. I saw a price sheet comparing the standard incandesent .99 cent bulb, the new cork-screw type floresent bulb, and the LED all in a 100 watt fixture. The prices of the bulbs and powder used for just one year. This listing also took into account the extra A/C used for the cheaper light as well. The .99 cent bulb used 9 times more energy over the 3-4 dollar cork-screw floresent type. The LED used only slightly less power over the year, but at 10 times the price to buy the bulb. So you would never recoup the price difference of the bulbs "Yet". Soon they go to bulb. We need to stop using the old style incandesent bulbs, as they just require way to much powder for the light you get out of them. break em all Jeff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.