1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have Trap guns always shot high??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Have Trap guns always shot high? ....or at least guns that were used to shoot Trap, like the Model 12..or the 870 or 1100 for instance.

Thanks..Stan

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

No,
    Surfer

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap guns have a built in vertical lead for ATA trap. That is because all the targets are rising targets. HMB

4. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Yes I know why Trap guns shoot high...in fact some shoot considerably higher than others.

I was just wondering how guns used for Trap shot back in the day...?

I'm invisioning some good ole' boys that shot Trap quite well with flat shooters...

In fact they may have shot skeet, trap, dove, ducks, and gophers all with the same gun....and one that likely shot "flatter than a flitter"....LOL.

Just askin'...curious to hear some tales of how it all evolved if thay didn't shoot high back then...maybe some guns we're individually modified to shoot high and that's when it started or....?

Stan..

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Guns tended to shoot flatter and shooters tended to shoot slower-a fine combination!!

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

No, the Mdl 12, Ithica and Brownings for example all shot pretty flat with factory wood.

jim brown

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Back in the day, 1940's & back, most beginning and lots of veteran shooters used field guns.It was the only shotgun they had. If you get a chance to go through the Hall of Fame, you will see field guns used for trap. Some had no ribs,some matted ribs. The Winchester Mod 37 was popular with a lot of drop on the comb,shooting the standard trap load of 1 1/4-3 1/4 dram loads,OUCH !!I started trap in the 1950's shooting my only shotgun, a Rem Mod 11. When you got more serious and could afford it, you graduated to a trap gun. My 2nd. gun was a Mod 12 3 inch field gun with a matted rib. Over the years, I've shot most everything.Mostly Brownings. Clyde Doll

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Targets are thrown higher today than those of yesteryear. That, even though the old rule called for targets between 8 and 12 foot high compared to todays recommendation of 9-1/2 feet and a rule change of 8 to 10 feet high? Some trap guns do shoot higher than others made just like it from flat to several inches high.

Hap

9. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Hap, I used to love those 8-foot targets. :)

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Remember -- some old-time trap shooters didn't even put their face on the stock. That can make a high shooter out of any gun. It's amazing that they could shoot consistently that way.

I mean, look at this picture of E.D. Fulford. Does that look like "wood on wood"? Hardly. And notice where his eye is in relation to the line of the barrel. It is 3 or 4 inches above the line of the barrel. And Fulford was one of the best in his day. This is why I shake my head when people say you MUST have choke tubes, high rib, adjustable comb, blah, blah, blah to shoot trap well. Fulford could likely out shoot 99.9% of us, even using his old side-by-side and antique shells.

It's the INDIAN.

-Gary

gw22_2008_0303140.jpg

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Size 7-1/2 shot at 1200 fps. drops 3.7 inches at 40 yards. So even a field gun that shoots flat, is shooting 4" high. Your eye is still higher than the muzzle. It doesn't take much of a tapered rib or raising the comb to get the POI higher than the POA. Put a MC stock or a 1/16" tapered rib on a field gun and you have a trap gun.

Yes, trap guns have always shot higher than field guns.

Wayne

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Clay target guns evolved from live bird guns which were essentially field guns. The comb dimensions angles were dropped allowing the stock to be thrown up under the eye while making the shot in one fluid motion while game was on the wing.

When trap evolved from live birds to targets, the stock was premounted becoming static making the old stock dimensions work against the shooter both in recoil sensation and eye alignment over the barrel. As target shooting progressed, the combs became more pararallel to the bore axis allowing for more comfort and consistent eye alignment.

Almost all trap guns throughout this evolution maintained the so called 50/50 pattern and this would be true on all the guns you mentioned. It seems post WWII shooters started messing with the poi so they could see the target above the barrel while making the shot. The most common method was bending the barrel, some shimed their combs or held their heads more upright to raise their poi.

Higher shooting guns got there boost from Guy's like Stan Baker, Al Ljutic and other forward thinking people who had a grasp on what would make a better tool for the game.

It's hard to believe the scores posted with some really clunky plain barreled guns that shot flat as pancake.

Surfer

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Nah Gary, Fulford shot so well because of that great shooting station material he was standin on. Very comfortable too, like shootin from the livin room? :)

Hap

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That's funny, Hap!

-Gary

15. leadvail

leadvail Member

TM1's shoot as flat as a frog on the interstate

Bob

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Wayne nailed it. Trap guns are designed to shoot higher than field guns and in the old days most all trap shooters shot field guns.

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I agree with Hap. We used to shoot a lot lower target when everyone was shooting Model 12s and such.

I still like a lower target than most shooters like.

Hauxfan!

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The TM-1 Specials shot higher than the Std TM-1 I had one and it shot about what I would call 80/20.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.