1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have New Ponsness Warren

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I have a new Ponsness Warren Patriot. I have been using a Hornady 366 for a few years.

I am having a terrible time getting used to placing the hull and wad at different positions of the handle stroke.

I know it is just a learning curve, but it just seems awkward to me. Has anyone else had this difficulty?

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Yep, still do. Having 2 Mecs and a RCBS doesn't help either.

I do not know of any other press where separate functions occur on both down stroke and up stroke of the handle.

The only way I can turn out good shells on my PW, is to take my time, look and think about what I am doing.

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Spring for P/W's excellent motor drive with the hand toggle and the PW machine will become a joy to operate. Think: loading rate of 9 shells per minute at a comfortable pace.

best...mike

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I went from a Mec to a Hydro P/W 800+ in just a short time, but I needed to concentrate on what I was doing for that short time. Hang in there, it will be worth the time and effort.

5. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I bought the shell feeder for my 800. I find this to be a welcome addition and speeds up reloading by 3times. I load approx. 8/10 per minute more if I push it

6. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I helped a friend set up his new Patriot and it seemed really slow to me I also have a 366 I'm sure it's faster once you get used to it but 9 shells a minute?Jerry

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Jerry, 9 shells a minute is at a leisurely pace. You need to stop to and fill the primer tray and the shot & powder hoppers. While at the fill-up chores, box the loaded shells (the shot & powder hoppers are a flat's worth) and clean & inspect for another go. There are things to learn, feel, and listen, with the PW, but a motor driven PW is hard to beat.

best....mike

mikepoore_2008_270825.jpg

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Have a 800+ with auto drive and shell feeder. Just ordered a Patriot from Whiz today. I cant wait to get it up and running. I have loaded over 14,000 shells on my 800+ and once you get things figured out how they work and if you have half a mechanical brain you will find there is none better. Like I have said before, I can load a box of shells in 90 seconds without doing nothing more than holding a toggle switch and adding a wad. I will report back as soon as I get the Patriot dialed in.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use to bad-mouth PW reloaders. I was a confirmed Dillon man. But, due to arthritis and carpel tunnel I went to the electric PW800 plus. That is a great machine once dialed in. And you get use to the wad shell manipulation after a few hundred rounds. I tried, but never could make the auto shell feed work consistently with the electric system. But, that's OK. Once one gets use to the operation of the wad and shell insertion, there is nothing to it.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've got a P/W 800+ with Hydro. I timed myself last night for one minute at a time and the best I could do is 15 per min with no interruptions. That is with the Hydro set on #2 speed. By the time you fill shot and powder, fill shell boxes and fill the primer tray the numbers will be down but that is still plenty fast.

I don't care what others say, P/W is still a good easy reliable machine to operate. If they have problems its their doing not the machines.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Let's be honest ... there are people who should not be allowed anywhere near loading machines!

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Ahab, very well said.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

paul7177 , It may help if you spit out the gum.

14. paul7177

paul7177 Member

JerryP,

Maybe you may have trouble chewing and walking at the same time, but I do not!

This is a place to be constructive and helpful, not to make nasty comments!

15. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Amen to paul!!!

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Sorry to offend you Paul, I just don't see the difficulty. It is a simple rythem.

17. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Jerry, Thank you for your re post, I appreciate it. Yes, I agree it is rhythm, but after using a Hornady 366 for years, I was mentioning it seemed hard to get used to. I am sure the PW is a great machine, I purchased it due to the recommendation of others.

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

After a while you will be so used to it going back to a 366 will seem wrong and backwards.

19. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

On my Spolar , if I am really loading quickly, I can do about 12 or 13 per minute, ,500-600 per hour.. I have timed it several times and done 100 in just under 8 minutes. That new P/W looks like a really nice machine also.

Charlie

A guy at a shoot once told me he could do 800 per hour with his PW pulling the handle. I did doubt the veracity of his statement.

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

Charlie,

I managed over 700 per hour once (and only once) using the hull feeder only. The Electric Drive will not allow that high a production rate - at least I can not do it. That rate includes time to add powder, primers and top off the hull feeder and wad dispenser.

I decided that speed was not that important and got rid of the hull feeder. Using only the Electric Drive, I get 400-500 per hour with it.

Like you, I doubt anyone can reload safely at the rate of 800 per hour that some claim. They may achieve high rates for a 15 minutes or so but it cannot be sustained for 2-3 hours.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.