1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Have a question on Spolar 12ga Reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

When reloading on a Spolar I have noticed that, when reloading once fired grey AA hulls, sometimes a lot of pressure is needed to knock out the primer on the depriming station, almost feeling like you are going to break the arm off. I reload by hand and not with a hydralic unit. Using Nitro hulls I do not have this problem.
    Here is the kicker I use Winchester 209 primers for both hulls when reloading and when I reload the AA hulls the 2nd time I do not have this problem.
    Its almost as if the deprimer rod on the once fired AA hulls doesn't hit the primer square to knock it out. Reloading them the 2nd time they come out easy.
    I use both hulls AA for one ounce and niros for 7/8 ounce, so I want to keep using both hulls.
    Any suggestions?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you have another press or Mec case conditioner where you can deprime the hulls before using the Spolar. HMB

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

I don't load AAHS on mine, but when I reload gun clubs they are more difficult for the machine to knock out at the final station. I'd suggest removing the hull and die at the next to last station and see if you still have the problem.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Did the hulls ever get wet?

5. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

The Gun clubs were a bit harder for me to knock out also. It almost felt like there wasnt enough lube on the mainshaft, but their was plenty. I put the sts's in and it was smooth as glass. When loading AA I did not have any problems knocking the primers out.

I do have a couple of questions about the spolar. Does anybody have a pictures of rigs they set up to hold more powder and shot. I have heard people using funnels and things like that. Also, it would be nice to see a larger primer tray. I can get about 250 in without knocking over the primers. It would be nice to load a batch of 500 hulls without having to reload primers, shot or powder. Right now I have everything set for 250 shells. Once I hit 250 I top the powder, shot and primers off.

Edit: Did you double check the primer seat cup. Mine was out of round when I bought it used off a guy. I put a new one in and it worked much better. I just dont know why it happening to you with one hull and not the other.

6. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

@ HMB that would defeat the purpose of the reloader with a resizer and deprimer on it and it doesn't do it when I reload the casing the 2nd time using Winchester primers. @ APrice I have taken each station out to try and figure out the problem and it all comes back to the deprimer station. If I start the Spolar from scratch with a new AA hull it will do it at the 2nd station with no other hulls in other than the first station. @ oldoliiedawg no never wet, the spent hulls go from my o/u into the back of my vest, but I can see your point if the hulls were rusted by the primer. @guinner16 I can get 400 primers on mine using Win 209, I take the top off the primer tray and slide them out of the box, but using Fiocchis or Nobles I had to cut the side of the box then slide them out on to the tray. The box was too tight to slide them out, but it still held 400 primers, 25# shot and about a pound of powder. Thanks guys for the input.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I haven't ran any through mine yet but on your behalf will tonite. Ran across some empties that I want to get rid of.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

With a Spolar there is no need for prior sizing unless you've got steel headed promo shells. Even those will load fine with a bit more effort. Seems to me you just came up with a batch of empties with very tight primer pockets!!

9. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

The only difference I noticed between STS's and AA is the crimp. the STS's look about as close to a factory crimp as your can possibly get. Some of the AA's look great, and some there is a tiny tiny gap in the center of the crimp. The only other difference is the STS's still look like a once fired at the second reload, where the AA's look like they went 15 rounds.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Get a hydraulic unit and you will not notice the difference and you will save your shoulder. Fred

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

It's not the Spolar. It's the your hulls. I'm having the same issue with mine. No hydralics. My hulls were dry, once fired. The second time around there fine. Primer comes right out. It's the only AA HS Gray hull I have that gives me this issue. Hard to deprime and hard to crimp. So I reload those once fireds on my Dillon then on the Spolar after that. Also, being a hand loader, I have a very hard time popping out steel base hulls. I avoid them all together, unless I use them on My Dillon. I'll tell ya. The Spolar and Dillon side by side. Dillon runs any type of hull with no problems. The down stroke is easier, with a better handle, Hull feeder etc., makes the Dillon a better machine in my eyes. The only reason why I bought the Spolar is for the 410 reloading which it does flawlessly. Dave T.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Sometimes you may get a hull that is a little shorter or longer. Those will have the twist or small hole in the middle, depending on length. I just adjust my reloaders to have a slight twist on everything. I have also found that AA's will have a tight pocket on first reload. It may be because of the tapered design of the original primer, and Winchester really jams them in tight.

13. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Gunner 16, Our primer system hold approximately 400 primers, the shot bottle holds a full 25# bag of shot and the powder bottle holds enough of most powders to load all the primers and all the shot, 400 shells. Beyond a certain column inch height, you are taking a chance that the powder will blow up. Also Blount has a very informative video that demonstrates what improperly handled primers can do, it will make you think twice.
    Dicksie Spolar
    800-227-9667

14. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Dave,
    The loader you bought used in late 2010 was built and sold originaly by us in 1996 and has had 2 other owners prior to you.

It was never sent in for the updates that we offered at our cost from 1998-2000 for all machines prior to serial number 400. If it is pulling hard, there is something wrong with it. Please call us for tech support or make an appointment to send it in .
    Dicksie Spolar

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"Beyond a certain column inch height, you are taking a chance that the powder will blow up."

With all due respect a question if I may. If you worried about the powder blowing up if stored over a certain height in your powder bottles would that be due to the weight of the powder upon itself?

If so how could they store the powder in 12# kegs. Isn't the keg height taller and more weight upon itself at the bottom of the keg than your bottles?

Bill

16. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Bill,
    Look at the 12 # kegs, they are flat like hat boxes. The height varies by powder.
    Dicksie

17. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Not to speak for Dicksie, but there is friction at the bottom of the powder bottle when you load. There is also shear force on the powder as the charge bar moves. I could imagine that you want to keep both of those forces to a minimum with live gunpowder:)

18. APrice

APrice Active Member

Live gunpowder?? Is there any other kind?

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Wow...My Spolar is in the low #4xx serial number range, I'm the original owner, and I love my machine.

I understand being concerned about proper operation of an expensive machine, but it seems pretty clear that if the factory installed original primer is hard to remove (requires a bit more force) and that during all subsequent reloadings of the hull it deprimes easily, then the issue is with the factory configuration hulls.

For myself, I dont' think I would want larger shot and powder bottles, they are pretty sizable as they are and it would just mean more to drain out of the bottles at the end of a reloading session.

Dave mentioned reloading 410's. Well, I did not order a 410 tool set when I originally purchased the machine but did so a couple of years ago. With just a little help from Robert at Spolar (great customer service, this company), we got my older and well used machine more perfectly adjusted tuned which was needed for these finiky little hulls (I was peeling some hulls down during wad insertion...took some very small adjustments in a couple of places to get it running perfect). I'm loading beautiful 410's now...they come out great and they shoot great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.