1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS FOR GUN DEALERS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    in your own professional opinion, how much does shortening a gunstock devalue a gun? also, if the gun is not all original, lets say they place an adjustable pad on the stock, does this devalue a gun too? is there any after market add ons that will increase the value, lets say an adjustable stock, after market choke tubes, recoil systems? is it best to keep a gun all original to get the most for ones money at trade in time, or do these after market add ons increase the value in your opinion?
    steve balistreri

2. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

In my opinion, it is not so much that aftermarket add-ons devalue a gun, as it is that they narrow the potential field of customers.

Not everybody wants what you might have added or had done.

3. senior smoke

redhawk44:
    thanks for responding. i would think the lengthing forcing cones, adding an adjustable stock, recoil devices, is what most shooters would want?
    steve balistreri

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Senior Smoke They you would be wrong . I for onr dislike all recoil devices makes the stock look like crap and can,t be fixed . Same with porting-add-on-Ribs and Paded Comb,s .

As for lenghting the forcing cone Yes and No not a deal breaker .

5. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

Steve, adjustable pads and/or adj combs are ok, but when you have to cut 1" off a stock to add a recoil device, gets to start devaluation. If customers see a recoil unit on a gun they assume it must kick the sh** out of you. Porting is another issue, don't do it if your a gun trader and it won't be around long. If your going to keep it and want to port then go ahead. I have alot of friends that are co-vendors that install these products and I don't want to deprive them of making a living, but if you want me to step up to the plate and give you top dollar on a trade, keep it nice and a virin.....just my 2 cents. Doug @ SGS

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The golden rule of gun mods. If it wasn't on it when new then it will add 0 dollars in value and in most cases decrease the value or make it undesireable.

The only exception to this rule that I know of is upgraded wood.

ss

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Do what I do, When ever I want to cut a stock or change something on it I spend the money on a second stock and do what ever I want with it and I just don't care about it. I then that the factory stock and put it in the closet in case I sell the gun.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I want my Precision Fit Stock to remain as it came from the factory.

Pat Ireland

9. senior smoke

Doug: makes good sense.

auctioner:
    very good advice, did not think of that.

steve

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Not a dealer but someone who has owned and owns a bunch of guns...I've seen a lot of guns for sale here over the years that I would have bought in a second had someone not "improved" them with some sort of stockwork. If you plan on never selling a gun, what you do will never come back to haunt you.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Some dealers say it is upgraded wood, if you looked at a lot of guns by that Mfgr you can tell if it is upgraded wood. If it is upgraded wood to me it better have a lot of burl and look really nice.

Kolar is one that puts nice wood on their guns and CG is another one.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

In general men like their guns a lot like their ladies ... they want to date the loose and easy ones and marry virgins.

This tendency then means that "improvements" to guns not coming from the factory, are potentially negative impacts on the saleability, hence, value of the gun. There are some exceptions to this, but not many.

This is what I tell my customers. "Buy the best you can afford, make whatever improvements necessary to maximize your shooting potential, and shoot it for a long time". Now, that sounds funny coming from the guy who sells guns for a living but its true. If you are more worried about the future value of your gun than whether or not you can shoot it ... buy a 1100 or a 391 and spend the rest on gold coins or Muni bonds.

Trap guns, by the nature of the sport, get shot way too much for any possible increase in value. Some wall-hanger engraved pistols and hunting guns that get seldom used if at all MIGHT increase in value, but even thats iffy.

We push tens of thousands of shells through these things and by the virtue of the quality of the manufacture they manage to last for years! The fact they hold their value as much as they do is a testament to the high quality ... buy a new bass boat and run it hard for 4 years and see what you get!

Tom Wilkinson or Kerry Allor barrel work will not have a negative effect on value it might actually boost it a bit. Things like RAD's and Counter coils are maybe yes, maybe no depending on the potential buyer. Adjustable butt plates if done well can be neutral ... the first guy buys it the next owner gets it for free!

Hope the weather breaks soon .... as much as I like reading and posting, I'd rather be shooting!

Bob Schultz

13. hopper810

hopper810 Member

i'm not a dealer,or buy and sell guns.on another site a while back a person was trying to sell an O/U. The person had added and done all the must have's. adj. comp,ported,forcing cones,etc-etc. said i spent xxx amout for the "upgrades" and was basicly trying to get his money back. a couple of posters stated and i agree with them when they said the gun in 90+ condition was worth about xxx amount. the seller got real nasty with his replies about how much it was worth.
    so to wrap this up the other posters said all your add on's only mean something to you not me. needless to say the gun never sold on the site, and the seller never returned to post again.

14. senior smoke

a friend of mine had a good quality trap gun. he had a adjustable stock done, forcing cones, a good quality recoil reduction device that this alone cost him years ago $700.00. at the wisconsin state shoot, he listed what he had in the gun and a dealer offered him a trade and my friend felt he low balled him.the guy said you never get back the money you paid for all these add ons. he took a huge loss because he got the hots for one of the dealer's guns. the next day, his old gun was up for sale, with a sign individually stating all the work that was done on the gun and the dealer wanted a high price for all the work done to the gun. my friend was very angry. i told him he didn't put a gun to your head to make the deal yesterday. it is his gun now and he's trying to make a buck. of course he is going to let people know all the work that has been done. i don't think there is anything wrong with a dealer doing this. it's the nature of the business.
    steve

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Pat why have a Precicion Fit Stock if you want it the same way it came from the factory????????? Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recoil system devalue shotgun