1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hauling shells to PITA shoot, legal?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RV4driver, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Some of us are planning on hauling some cases of loaded (factory) shells to Washington state for the PITA shoot in a small (4x6) cargo trailer. I've tried Google, NRA website, Trapshooters.com, and can't find any answers. What are the legal requirements for this endeavor? Three of us, maybe 18 cases or so...what do I have to do? Surely someone knows! Everything I can find relates to travel by air or international shipments.

Jeff

2. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

don't get caught

3. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

If you want to open that can of worms, you need to contact the Highway Patrol or the State Transportation Agency of each State you are traveling thru to see what the laws are. Good luck. BIG JIM

4. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

There is no prohibition I know of . If you are still uneasy , try ATF.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There is no restriction. That's why you can't find anything on it.

How do you think they got to where you bought them?

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jeff, You may have to place the correct type of warning label on the trailer. Just like a Semi does. You see them on "gas tankers" and other haulers as well. One call to the DOT should answer your questions about traveling on the highways. Good Luck and Good Shooting. Break-em all. Jeff

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Just 18 flats of shells for three guys....Good Lord! Warning lables...for what? They're not explosives. Just take the damned things and concentrate on busting targets. Hell, I took that many bullets along to the PA State shoot, in case I got involved in multiple shoot-off's. (brought all but 1,300 of 'em back...grin)

break 'em all.....mike

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

ORM-D (This will be on the original case)

ORM-D is the name of the hazard class assigned to consumer commodities under the US DOT regulations.

Placarding of trucks / trailers is not required.

Go, don't worry!

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

They may be considered HAZMAT hazardous material. Drive the speed limit,no problem. 1OT

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

They aren't HAZMAT hazardous materials.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Oh for christ sake. I cant believe you guys. Just put the shells in the trailer and go. There is no law that says you can't carry all the loaded ammo you want. Jeff

12. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Cy-Kick is correct. Small Arms ammo is considered HazMat but they are allowed to be reclassed as ORM-D if properly packaged, thus are excepted from most quanity limitations.

Placards are not required.

Load 'em up and drive away.

13. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Jeff,

You do not say where you are coming from. The only restrictions on the amount of ammo that you can transport that I know of are going into Canada. If you are staying in the United States load as much as you want and drive. You say you are going to have the ammuntion loaded in a cargo trailer, do not worry about it. If the question does come up and it really should not. Let the officers know that you are going to a trap shooting competion and you should be fine. I knnow a person who goes to Canada to shoot alot. Sometimes he will hit several shoots in one trip and takes as much as 12 flats for himself. I assume you are headed to the PITA Grand Pacific, See you there.
    Jim Bradbury

14. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

we have got a pallet of shells and 10 shotguns across the hoover dam just checked the rv told them we were going to a trapshoot and they let us on our way no promblem i think

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

In regard to Canada.

Going into Canada.

Import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.

Canadian visiting the USA.

As long as they have the ammo listed on an approved ATF form 6NIA, not a problem.

16. Toddy

Toddy Member

As usual, Joe is absolutely correct and every year I submit my Form6NIA that I carry 6 different brands at 2500 rds. each brand and have only been asked once why so many are listed and they accepted my reply "because I never know which brand will be available to me when I go to a shoot".

Reg. Todd, BC

17. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Thanks, Guys! I knew this was the right place to ask.

The Colorado State PITA crew will see y'all at Evergreen!

Jeff

18. Zardozforty

Zardozforty Member

I agree with SuperXJeff.

Including the "Oh for christ sake" part !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.