1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hats for Shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I remember some discussion on here about wide brim hats that work well for shooting. I did a search & didn't seem to be able to bring up the info. Anyone have a favorite hat that keeps them cool & shaded while on the line? Thanks!

2. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

I shoot with an umbrella hat on... works great for rain and sun!

Walker

3. gotbass

gotbass Member

Breezers from Cabellas, 3 1/2 inch brim mesh crown, shade and ventilation. Baseball type mesh if windy, solid caps hold too much heat.

4. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Some thoughts on hats...

Some of us can't really use a mesh crown, as the burn on our unprotected (by hair) scalp can be painful and dangerous.

Floppy type brims can be a distraction in a good breeze.

Baseball type caps are great, but won't protect your neck and ears from the sun.

I'm currently leaning towards a stiff brimmed Panama hat. It has to fit well enough that it won't depart in a good wind. Most of my shooting seems to be in a good wind. And lots of sun.

Jeff

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For those that wouldn't mind a little "ribbing" look at a "flats" cap that offers an extended brim with some offering a fabric cape to protect against sun and rain on the neck...

regards,

Jay

6. missemucho

missemucho Member

Check Amazon for Henschel breezer hat; cheaper than the Cabela's and works well.
    John

7. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Walmart has white and brown panama style abt $7.00. Great shooting and fishing and they cool. Better hurry supplies where I live getting low.
    Railroad

8. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I agree that the soft sided hats with large brims can move in the wind so you will need a little stiffer brim. I have used the softer straw cowboy style hats for three years when the sun is high and I get a glare on my shooting glasses. I don't like the glare and usually go for the cowboy style over the caps. I have found the caps will still let me get side glare on the lenses of the glasses. I also have a felt broad brim hat that I wear when it's cold out. Funny story about the hat was that I got it as a gift about three months before the movie "Indiana Jones" came out. I loved that hat and it was a present because my lady friend saw a picture of my grandpa and me when I was 14 and he about 76 and we had our hat's on. I always got the old hat when grandpa got a new one.:) Well I got a couple good months of wear out of it before the movie came out. I once had a long brimmed fishing hat that gave you a shaded look on the water early in the morning. I can't find it anymore but Ill bet that it would work to keep the sun out of your eyes. Dan

9. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Funny story about hats: A few years ago I took my first clinic with a coach who will remain unnamed since he's looked on as some kind of god on this website. He looked down my barrel at my eyes while I had the gun mounted and decided I couldn't see the birds because I wear a straw cowboy hat when I shoot. I'm still not sure how he thought he could make that determination from almost five feet away from my eyes or my hat, nor am I sure why he thought a 60-yr-old "well-seasoned" trapshooter wouldn't know if he was losing sight of targets because of a hat brim or not, but that was his only piece of advice. When I didn't immediately lose the hat, he was done coaching me. I still wear the hat, and I've since gotten some actual good coaching from Britt Robinson, and I can see targets just fine. Just can't hit all the damned things...

10. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Easy question.

Whichever hat is your "lucky hat".
    Everything else is academic.

Be advised, the "lucky hat" can change without notice. This does add a certain touch of unpredictability to the equation. Sorry.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I got my hat at Dick's. The important thing is get a hat that has a strong brim. One that does not flap around or sag when wet. You have to look at each had and see how they are made.

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Walker I have seen you in your hat in action!! And Lucky Hat is subject to change without notice and remain in hideing!

Jerry

13. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Tilley with lifetime guarantee. If you have a $7 head buy a $7 hat.

jim brown

14. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I know a fellow who wears a ---PITH helmet,cool looking LOL
    Sandy.

15. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

I wore a pith helmet for a while and liked it- very light and cool, but I since changed from in-ear hearing protection to electronic earmuffs. Wide brim hats aren't compatible with these. Now I wear a cloth "do rag" style motorcyclist's head cover (WalMart has lot's of these in many colors) with a built-in sweat band, and wear a stiff billed baseball cap over it. A light mesh cap on hot days and a heavier wool one in cooler weather make this combination very versatile. The "do-rag" absorbs perspiration and keeps my face dry. Also keeps sweat off my glasses and keeps them from fogging. I usually take several of these and change them out between events to keep my head dry. The earmuffs keep the baseball cap snug on my head when the wind is up. I like this set-up very well. Besides, as I jokingly tell my shooting buddies, the "do-rag" enhances my multicultural sensitivity. LOL!!!!

16. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Jacaru leather/mesh hat: great for summer.

17. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Akubra Snowy River: great for fall, winter & spring shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you shoot with a brimmed cowboy hat

cowboy hat for trap shooting

hats for shooting

shooting hats with brims

summer shooting hat

trap shooting hat

wide brim hat for target shooting

wide brim hats that allow wearing of earmuffs