1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hats For Shooting ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by below 0, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I'd imagine that it's to keep the sun out of your eyes...Or the Sun off of your sunburned neck...lol

Dale

2. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

For me I turn my hat backwards because at times a high target will disappear thru the brim of the cap. It's better if I see the target and not lose it in flight. Darrell

3. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Keeps the hair that is falling off your head from getting into your eyes????

4. Mike G

Mike G Member

I personally don't like to wear hats, I think they interfer with my vision but as I have gotten older and less hair I wear them to protect my scalp from sunburn - ouch.

5. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I wear a cowboy hat. Mainly to keep the sun off. Besides it looks kool when you wear it with a tee shirt and shorts.

6. below 0

below 0 TS Member

GW . Do you wear Cowboy boots with your shorts? That would be really kool...
    Dale

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

GW11 The people telling you how cool the hat is ARE LYING .

sorry ALF

8. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I wear a viking helmet with horns. Chicks dig it.....

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You'all are talking about wearing hats!! The thread states shooten'em. I love to shoot other peoples hats after they break their first 25 or 100 strait. I do hope they get around to shoot'en mine soon. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

10. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

below 0 no they don't seem to match and Alf99 I'm sure you are correct with that but who is going to tell you that when you are holding a gun.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

GW11 I really like the hat .

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Paul...... There are many, varied, reasons for wearing a ball cap when at a shoot. I believe that a ball cap with a bill that is too long will definately interfere with your vision when shooting, especially if the targets are set a little high. The target can quickly get out of your vision above the bill, and the natural tendency is to lift your head off the gun to look for the target. I, personally, prefer to wear a visor similiar to those that a golfer wears. The bill is much shorter. It still keeps the sun out of my eyes, but, it is much harder for the target to get away from my view with the shorter bill. Arnold Reigger wused to shoot with one like the old time bankers used to wear with the clear green plastic visor. I don't know if that was the reason he shot with one or not..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. jhoward

jhoward Member

A lot shooters wear them as another way to block out distractions. A ball cap and shooting glasses with blinders on, and it's hard to see anywhere other than right down the barrel.

Personally, I don't like wearing hats when shooting for the reason mentioned above. I tend to hold a low gun starting out and I don't like losing the target. If I do wear one, for rain or bright sunlight, it's usually a boonie style hat, the brim is shorter and doesn't bother me as much.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Us bald guys wear them so that the glare of the sun off our heads don't interfere with the other guys shooting!

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I usually wear a darker lenses in my glasses than most people do(Bronze)if I don't wear a hat when the sun is high the light from the sun shines behind the lenses and causes a lot of Glare so I wear a hat to stop the Glare.

Bob Lawless

16. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Wearing or not wearing a hat while shooting is a personal thing but those who shoot a lot without a hat when the sun is shining are running a losing race. It is not whether or not they will get skin cancer, it is just when. Skin cancer mestasizes and morphs into bone cancer, allegedly the most painful of all. This stuff is not to be ignored, especially when it so easily preventable simply by wearing a cover of some kind. The Fred Cousins-type golf visors don't help, they provide no protection at all for your head, ears or neck. Call up basal-cell carcinoma on the internet and take a look at what you in for when you don't wear a hat on the line. One can joke about the cowboy hat on the trap line but it probably gives more protection againt skin cancer than any other kind of hat.

17. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I think a black silk do rag could be the latest fad among trapshooters. Keeps the sun off the chrome dome and doesn't restrict vision. Who is going to be the first to give it a try? Yo Tyrone! gyrine

18. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Those that wear their caps backward must be going to eat watermellon! (you know, keep the bill out of the mellon!!).

eak...

19. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Big Mexican Sombreo, here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.