1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hate Red Light Cameras

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I just received a $ 100.00 ticket from the Village of Franklin Park, IL. Evidently I didn't come to a complete stop when turning right on red. The light was green 1.6 seconds earlier according to my ticket. What a bunch of crap! Big Brother is watching. I live about 1.5 hrs away so not worth fighting and I do admit that I didn't come to a complete stop but that's very common. Franklin Park has 4 cameras at 4 of their busiest intersections. They say on their website the cameras are not for money generation but safety, yeah right! Sorry for the rant but $ 100.00 is alot of money for me right now.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

If you stop like you should you would not get a ticket. Red light runners are my pet peeve. You broke the law get over it.

3. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - you should fight this just because they have no idea who was driving the car and as best as I know, they have to prove who was driving the car for a criminal conviction. the beav

4. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

Consider yourself lucky where you live. Out here in S. Calif any red light violation is hovering around $500 by the time you get done with all the fees and court costs.

5. FIB

FIB Member

Oletymer, the law that I broke was not coming to a complete stop when turning right on red. Go to any major intersection in any large city and see how many folks come to a complete stop before turning right on red if there isn't any oncoming traffic from the left. Dr. Beav, can't fight it. Law says the registered owner of the car is responsible unless the vehicle is stolen or being used in an emergency. I'm not denying I broke the law I just hate the traffic camera "Big Brother" mentality. These traffic camera's are HUGE money makers!

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

On the dumb crook show on the radio 2 weeks ago they reported that.. one guy was driving down the road and saw a traffic light flash, he knew he wasnt speeding so he drove by it again at a lower speed, it flashed again, he drove back by it even slower and it flashed again.. later that month he got 3 tickets in the mail for not wearing his seatbelt..

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I ran about 14 of them while plowing snow in the blizzard at 4.00 a.m. I just make sure my plates are impacted with snow. The last few got a nice pic of me giving the one finger salute.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Few miles from my house just outside of a local Costco, there're cameras around every corner of the intersection, I can see the flash lights going every time I was there, they took pictures from every angle of the red light runners. According to my neighbor who got two tickets from it, the pictures were crystal clear, she said one of them was even better than the one she took at Costco passport center.

I go around that intersection whatever I can, through gas station, corner parking lots, and drive through fast food stands, just to avoid that light, because I'm not sure if I'll remember to stop for 1/2 second before a right turn on red. According to my neighbor, that ticket was $385.

I fully aware we suppose to make a complete stop before turning right on red, like we suppose to use company computer solely for company business, but how many of you are on TS.com with company computers now? :)

For those who gave big speeches about "obey the laws", were you completely honest on your tax returns?

9. FIB

FIB Member

The ticket is $ 100.00 which to me is alot for not coming to a complete stop when turning right on red if there isn't any oncoming traffic. I can understand a $ 100.00 or more if I ran thru a red light but come on.

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If the ticket serves as a deterrent in the future it has served it's purpose, though I do empathize with the size of the fine. Red light cameras are being turned off in many cities due to the low rate of revenue return and high cost of litigation, seems the only ones who make any money are the camera company's.

Robert

11. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Those cameras are BS and the ones for speeding too! Just communism

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A group of high school kids took a digital pic of the teachers plates then printed it off a lazer printer to correct size. They taped it to thier car and ran about fifty lights, teacher got all the tickets in the mail.

When the were caught, the judge even had to give a little chuckle as he laid down the law.

13. primed

primed Well-Known Member

In Minneapolis, the law was thrown out and all monies collected were returned. The above link has the story.

MN Supreme Court ruling reads in part "The problem with the presumption that the owner was the driver is that it eliminates the presumption of innocence and shifts the burden of proof from that required by the rules of criminal procedure,".

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would have no problem with red light cameras if and only if the following 2 conditions were met:

-All traffic lights are calibrated to have the same duration of yellow signal. I know where I live, even within a couple mile radius, some of the yellow lights are 2-3x as long as others (there's one near me thats at least 5x as long as the shortest one).

-There was a timer somewhere near the light indicating how much time was remaining on the green and/or yellow lights. This would give you a much better idea of whether or not you can safely (and legally) make it through the intersection.

I don't believe anybody is currently doing either of these, and its basically turned into a "gotcha" type law, since you have no way of knowing if the light your at has a "fast" or "slow" yellow.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I got nailed by one of the cameras for running a Red light that was yellow ... I paid the $260.00 and went to the school to keep it off of my record ... It wasn't worth the time to try and explain it to a Judge, besides that then the fine doubled and it was me in the picture ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I thought they could not give you a ticket if you were in the intersection when it turns yellow

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They are not supposed to, but you have to face the Judge to explain your case and if he don't buy it, you pay double ... My excuse was the sun visor was blocking my being able to see it ... If you were the Judge would you believe it ..? I paid and chalked it up to an lesson learned ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Our local govt is taking heat for running speed cameras in work zones 24/7 even when the crews are not working on the road...they caught a lot of people on 295 and now they are fuming and vandalizing the equipment

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Go to any major intersection in any large city and see how many folks come to a complete stop before turning right on red."

Oh that makes it ok then. That's like my 17 year old and his "John's mom and dad don't make him go to bed early" mentality. Sorry but the law does state you must come to a complete stop. Don't get me wrong, i'm certainly no angel and have had my share of tickets. The difference is your complaining about getting caught breaking the law. Man up and pay the piper.

There are always plenty of lawyers waiting to take your money and perhaps get you off with a slap on the wrist if your not interested in paying it. That's my take on it anyway.

Matt

20. FIB

FIB Member

Matt, the thing I object to the most is being caught by a camera. If I had been given a ticket by an officer (which I don't think would have happened) I would still be ticked by not as much. To me these cameras are nothing more than money making scams and Big Brother on the loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are there red light cameras in lawton ok