1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hatchery steelhead

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by windyflat, Aug 4, 2013.

1. windyflat

windyflat Member

My Daughter snapped these pictures today.. Had a great day visiting the Powder Mills Park Hatchery just outside of Rochester NY..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Shark attack!!

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Green with black spots? Must be a different type of steelhead than I'm used to.

-Gary

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

look like browns

5. windyflat

windyflat Member

Salmon river steelhead

[​IMG]

6. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear WF,
    The fish in your picture with it's mouth open is a Brown Trout in the stream color phase. It also looks like it has a blunt upper nose and may have a microwire in its nose for ID info also.............Sincerely, X-Jet Boat Bill

7. windyflat

windyflat Member

Plenty of browns in that tank.. including the fish above the one grabbing the fish pellet.. The browns have much bigger spots.

If you look at the second photo you'll see a male brookie at the top then a big rainbow, then a brown trout then another rainbow.

The biggest browns at this hatchery were about 2/3 the size of the big rainbows..

I've caught a ton of NY browns in my 43yrs.. never caught one with a pink stripe all the way down it's side.
    Learn something new every day I guess

8. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear WF,
    Your picture fish COULD be a rainbow if it had spots on the tail. A few orange and brown spots on it sides would have definitely locked in as a BROWN trout. If this pic. was in the fall and the spots were all black.....RAINBOW The size of the mouth leans me towards a brown. A pink halo on the side makes me lean towards a rainbow....or........a Palimino possibly. Sincerely, X-Jet Boat Bill

9. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Unless there is a different strain of Brown trout in New york than are here in California, the photos appear to be Rainbow trout or Steelhead Rainbow trout. The Browns here do not have red lateral lines. The one with its mouth open Looks to be a older hook jaw male. The last photo appears to be in spawning color. Bill Hom

10. windyflat

windyflat Member

tons of small spots on the tail of the fish taking the pellet from Natalie

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The truth is in the tasting, I love trout ... Nice pictures by the way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. rw993

rw993 Active Member

13. rw993

rw993 Active Member

No trout in this bad boy!!!!! BC Steelie.

14. C-Money

C-Money Member

I believe they are all brood stock steelhead, colored up like they should be when in a river system or hatchery for quite a while. They are not silver until they have spent time in a big body of water like a great lake, or the Pacific ocean. Lots of fish experts on here, but I believe the OP that these are steelhead. All a steelhead is, is a lake/ocean run rainbow trout.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My expertice ends at tasting, I am not a fisherman but enjoy helping the friends of mine that are get rid of fish they catch ... I will even bring the beer for them being as I am not much of the drinker, but a damn good cook and taster ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Steelhead salmon (Oncorhynchus mykiss) are commonly known as trout, but in fact they are a species of salmon native to the Pacific region. Land locked steelheads are also known as rainbow trout; in fact that is their common name. The term steelhead is used to differentiate between those rainbows that stay in fresh water permanently and those that go out to the ocean. Both rainbow and steelhead trout will return to the place where they hatched in order to spawn; therefore, steelheads are an anadromous species. Unlike their Pacific salmon cousins, steelheads and rainbows can spawn numerous times before dying.

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

rw that is a pic of a happy guy! Wish it was me. Bill

Search tags for this page

powder mill park steelhead ny