1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hat shooting for first 100 straight

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tom monzitta, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom monzitta

tom monzitta Member

I heard that the ATA sent a letter to a friend of mine who participated in shooting the hat of a squadmate who had shot his first 100 straight. My understanding is that he was told that he should not have done this and that the ATA discourages this practice. This was done at the end of the event and on an unused field.

I don't know about you, but I think that shooting someone's hat after their first 100 straight is a fine tradition that I have participated in several times. I don't want to stir up anything, but what do you think? Did you have your hat shot? I did and still have it as a proud trophy.

2. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I did and still have it. Ray

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

And for the first 25. My son is 11 and shooting pretty darn strong. I swear, he wants his hat shot soooooooo bad. Jake

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've still goy my "trophy hat"....it was shot by my son and best friend who were on my squad...

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have no idea why the ATA would care about such a practice if it was done in a safe manner, let alone inform you of the same via a letter ... I have seen this done at some of the bigger shoots where the ATA Officials were present and not one word was said about it as they watched it happen ... It appears there is a missing part to your story, please inform us as to what it is so we can defend it if it needs to be defended ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I don't recall shooting anybodys hat for a 100 straight, but we always do it when somebody reaches the 27 yard line for the first time. I still have my "trophy" hat from 1977. Larry Evans

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Head in or out of the hat?? Fred

8. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I would like to see the letter in question. It has been done for years and will continue to be done. I have yet to see any one of those events be unsafe but to the hat. Well I can't say that, I have seen some hats just get wounded badly and had to be put down quickly before it suffered. Some of the shooters could not shoot a hat the way they should. Other then that is a mile stone for all young and older shooters. They should have fun at that point of shooting. To the ATA as always they don't know what they are talking about or doing. They are to high up on their horse and don't care what we ATA members think or say.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pat,

Then it would make sense to get a letter, maybe from the hosting club and or the ATA also, if it was reported ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

It was in trap and field a bit ago. A complaint was filed is the only reason the ATA got involved. Then again, there is the whole do not shoot anywhere but on the line thing. Trust me, they ARE serious about that lol.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it is done safely. Just a fun little tradition. That club just had someone with a stick up his other mouth and he got all bent out of shape. They asked, he said no, they did it anyway=all bent out of shape.

John

11. oletymer

oletymer Member

I still have the shot up hats from many years ago. It is fun to look at them and remember those days. These are the things that bring back fond memories of 100, 200 singles, 100 handicap and 100 doubles. Those days are long gone but will never be forgotten. It's a shame if people cannot understand tradition and fun.
    Karl

12. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

In the South it has been a long standing tradition to shot a hat for milestones first 25 or 100/200 etc. This has been done at almost every club I have shot at over the last several years. It was always on an empty field , under controled conditions "after" the shooting was over. I never saw a situation where it was considered dangerous. ---It is my understanding from reading the minutes in T&F that in this case, shooting was still in progress and they were aked to wait, but did it anyway. I think it was was a member of the of either the B.O.D.or E.C. that filed the complaint.

13. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

WPT, they already are crying that they are to busy as is. Do you really think they will take the time to do something like that?

BCNU, who was it that complained? I for one would like to know. The one that wrote the letter probably did not get his hat shot and is now crying about it.

14. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Gargoyle, I would have to go back through my back issues of trap and field to find it out and frankly, it is just not that important to me. If you have the last 6 or 7 issues laying about though, it will be in there. I do not think it was any farther back than then. John

15. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I think it's a fun thing to do but you just have to be so careful.

I saw a bunch of league shooters getting ready to do it after one of their guys broke his first fifty just as the kid is getting out of the trap house. He thought they were all done.

After the shoot on an empty field sounds totally safe though.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Should have put the trap on wobble when you loaded the hat,,, would have been more interesting. I have heard a lot of people complain about some of the actual trophies given out, maybe those should be loaded up and shot at also. My thing if done safe whats the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.