1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hastings Barrels ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rrose, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrose

rrose TS Member

Can some one that has actually tested the patterns tell me if the Hastings high rib 1100 barrels are worth the price compared to an original full choke step rib barrel. I like the high rib but if the step rib barrel is going to pattern better I can add a rib on it for less. Appreciate your imput.
    Thanks
    randy

2. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I shoot both barrels. I have never patterned either, but the Hastings barrel really seems to smoke targets. Patterns must be impressive judging by what the Mod tube does to targets from the fence.

3. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Buy the Hastings and be done with it. Shop for a used barrel and then spend money to add another rib ... sooner or later your going to say to yourself it would have been far easier and possibly and probably cheaper just to get the Hastings and have been done with it.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

rosebuster,

A couple of observations about the Hastings barrel.

The POI is a bit taller on the Hastings. They shoot closer to 80/20 than the advertised 60/40. This may differ from shooter to shooter as gunmount will have a lot to do with POI.

The Hastings barrel is a little heavier than the step-rib barrel. This helps the follow through of your swing. The downside is that the gun will feel a little barrel heavy in comparision to the gun with the step-rib barrel.

I never patterned a barrel in my life other than seeing how they break targets. The Hastings will break them hard from whatever distance.

If they ever produce that barrel for an 870, I'll have one in a minute.

ec90t

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I think but am not sure the Hastings barrel has a larger bore than the original step rib Remington. I have both and the old Step rib barrels are some of the best shooting barrels around. If you are buying either I would chose the Hastings but it will cost 100.00 more than the Remington on adverage both will do the job.

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

I concur with ec90t,

if they ever make one for the 870 I will also have one asap.

I don't know why they haven't yet, but it is very irritating that they don't...

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Randy, if you live near south-central Pennsylvania and want to try one, you're welcome to shoot a few rounds with mine.

And regarding the 870 barrel, I'm trying...

Ed

8. rrose

rrose TS Member

Thanks to all for the imput and to Ed for the kind offer, Ed your article is the first thing I read every month please keep up the great work. I have a nice step rib barrel but in the never ending quest for one more target the Hastings barrel has been ordered and is in route as we speak.
    Thanks and good luck shooting.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Randy.. If you ever get a Left Handed 870.. I have many Hastings straight rifled barrel.. 32' and 34".. To heavy for 16 yard.. but does it ever crush targets from the 27.. No.. not patterned.. just 15 men on the bench saying "Holy crap".. what is Mike shooting..??? Factory full choke.. Cheap Remington Shur Shot 1 1/8 #8... The targets just vanished.. I used these as barrel blanks for my Titanium Cole.. They flat WORK...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.