1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has you lost a job of 25 years because of AGE????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rennerize, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Have you lost a job of 25 years because of AGE????

I was let go 11/14/08, been with this company for over 25 years. I am wondering if I have any recoure as far as court action.
    Don

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you are a black gay skeeter over 65and crippled, I would say maybe!

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Have you lost a job of 25 years because of AGE????

No I am a 60 year old trapshooter.

4. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

An “at-will” employer - that is, an employer who reserves the right to terminate employees without cause - generally does not need to worry about such claims. Like all other employers, however, an at-will employer still must be concerned about many other possible claims.

Possible Claims of Discrimination Upon Employment Termination
    All employers need to be cognizant of possible discrimination claims arising from employment termination. To prevail, the former employee would have to prove that he or she was terminated, at least in part, because his or her employee’s protected status (gender, religion, race, national origin, age, disability, etc.).

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

The official statement is eliminated my position. How would I go about proving age discrimination. He did say in a meeting with us managers that "it is a curse to have old foggies working here".
    Don

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if you can get an opinion from your state department of labor. HMB

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

RENNERIZE,that ""curse" is a good start.I went through this problem a few years back, sued and won. Then I stayed working there for another 5 years. Go to the yellow pages and find a Lawyer that specializes in employment rights. Give him all the facts. He will tell you if you have something or not.Bulge

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Yes I am going to see a Lawyer tomorrow

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Discrimination is hard to prove but if you can do it you won't have to worry about the job ... Get a good Attorney who deals in this type of law and talk to him ... The EEOC might be on interst also (equal employment opportunity commission) deals with these cases all the time and they are on your side ... This is a Government Agency but they love to play hard ball with employers in most cases, if they think you have a case ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

But in the mean time I have no health insurance. I had a heart attack 3 months ago.

11. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

It was said in front of several managers, but I am afraid they will not say it is true because they are afraid of losing their jobs.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Don,

They have to offer you Cobra in the mean time if the insurance you had with them is no longer in effect ... Its the law ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Yes but it is very expensive. I broke a tooth this very morning and now no dental insurance.
    Go figure>>
    Don

14. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Any good lawyers on here?

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Terminating you right after you had a heart attack sounds like a violation of your civil rights. Get a lawyer. HMB

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

How many of those managers would lie in a court of law? It may be them in the same spot in the near future.

You said something about a heart attack 3 months ago. I'm sure the lawyer will want to know all about that as well. Being singled out for age and health maybe as good as start as any.

ec90t

17. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Yeah< woder about my self even though I am doing fine now.

18. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Am not sure how many will lie I may have to find out.

19. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Yeah that is what I am afraid of.

20. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I have never lost a job,but have not been hired for the reason,and also recently after 13 yrs of service and 4 yrs as captain the town I work for eliminated my position and while everyone else wil recieve a $.50 pay raise at the first of the year I will only get $.40 along with my demotion.......HANG ON TO YOUR UNIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.