1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has trap changed through years much

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copper, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

In looking at the old pictures except for guns how much has game changed speed of target angels of targets and so on changed through years

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hand fed traps have given way to auto loaders resulting in a more uniform target presentation. Voice activated target releases have replaced sometime inconsistent pulls. Targets are thrown at narrower angles, shorter distance, and are higher, showing more target face.

Ed Yanchok

3. copper

copper Member

I was wondering on target angles and speed of targets suprised by shorter distance were yardage same from trap how long has that been same . in some of old pictures the stations look closer together what year did the current lay out and rules get put in .

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Guns were ill fitting, recoil punishing. Shells were blackpowder, fiber wads, soft shot. Shooting glasses were non-existent.

And the Indy 500 cars had onboard mechanics....

5. copper

copper Member

I do have a couple old Trap gun the black dimond mod 12 solid rib shot stock you have to hold onto a over 4 rounds and you start to get twitchy I had some old cheap shells one day and guys were asking about looked like snow at times

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I can remember sitting in a wooden trap house, lined with straw bales, putting clay targets on an arm that was springpowered, indexing it's
    direction "at random". It was released by someone yanking on what looked like a long metal pipe, the entire mechanism making almost as much noise as the guns (if you were in the traphouse).

Later, when I was old enough and paid well enough to shoot, the trap was, of course, electrically triggered and directed, but still spring powered. It was released by someone who may or may not have been good at it. It was loaded by someone who may or may not have been good at it. And the presentation could vary greatly from trap to trap, some low, some high, some with more face, some with less, some long, some short, some spinning well, some not, and in some cases, a lot of them already broken.

Were they harder to hit back then? Some days. Is there any reason to return to "the good old days"? No. Are scores higher today? Yes. Are there reasons (didn't even bring up ammunition or the guns themselves) for this? Yes, and it isn't just "2-hole" targets. It's a lot of things, and thank goodness. Maybe now, when I miss, it IS me. ;-)

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Hearing protection was vertually non existent. Target presentation was at alot of clubs symbolized by, well its in the air, ain't you good enough to hit it? Now we have radar guns and heigth regulated to supposedly uniform standards. Guns fine tuned to the ninth degree. Adjustable this n adjustable that. Back in my early days we bent barrels, cutup tshirts for comb heigth, filled the bolt hole with weigth if you couldn't take the heat and for the most part, focused on the target and broke it without all the worry about the lil things we feel necessary to perform today (yes Iam guilty as well).

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Seems like trap is a lot easier to score well, even since the late 1950's....better equipment for the shooter and better, easier target throwing equipment. Consider how many shooters are capable - and do - regularly shoot 100s in all registered competition events. You miss a target and you are very likely out of contention. Fun to shoot in leagues, though. Regards, Ed

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Does it really matter if you shoot 99 and lose to a 100 anymore than it did when you shot 89 and still lost to a higher score???

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I believe the electronic call release is the biggest change. Bad pulling could kill a score. Then the Pat trap with the variable cam so it's almost imposable to time (read) targets. Before the Pat, a team could time (read) the traps resulting in some great scores.

11. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Perhaps the bigest change has been the shooter base.

When I started shooting in the late fifties all the shooters at our club were hunters and trap was an excuse to shoot our shotguns when there were no live targets in season.

Wasn't unusual to go to a "hay bale" shoot put on by a church, civic club .
    Most of the shooters shot their hunting guns .
    If you showed up with a "trapgun" you were looked on with suspicion .
    i started with a stevens double barrel 12 gauge that I laced a comb pad on.
    Didn't take long to realize I needed better equipment.

Evenually the "hay bale shoots" went away as did the guys that showed up with their field guns.

Those of us that were serious bought trap guns and the game evolved into what it is today.

ed.

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Perfect cold weather thread, NOT!!!!......What I am surprised about it that Dr. longwind hasn't posted yet.

Can you say hooked on phonics....

Bryan

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Why? That is all I ask. Why? Jon

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Dropping out for nearly 20 yrs. yields a lot of changes.

The worst is many shooters I remember are deceased or no longer shooting.

Half the fun of shooting is the BS that goes on in the clubhouse.

A diverse of talents and vocations, many never to be today.

Equipment changes but the person on the end is where it's at. (my opinion)

Regards....Gerald

15. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have been told that today's trap shooters are much more pleasant and agreeable than shooters of old.

Today's shooters get along well with each other much better and never have useless arguments or harsh words with one another.

Peace and calm have overcome them.

Today, any disagreements, of which there are too few to be concerned with, totally revolve around the best trap vest to wear.

All the issues concerning #7½ versus #8 size shot, 2¾ dram versus 3 dram, 1 ounce versus 1-1/8 ounce loads, improved-modified versus full choke, 3-hole versus 5-hole, and under $2,000 guns versus over $5,000 guns have been resolved.

Krieghoff shooters and Browning shooters actually have dinner together with both pleasantly offering to pay the bill of the other. They even allow their sons and daughters to date each other.

Rumor has it that they don't even debate the merits of Ohio versus Illinois any more.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Where'd you hear THAT?

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

RV's made more change than any other factor in trapshooting. Most of the people we enjoyed jawing with in the clubhouse now hole-up out back in one of those tin campers.

Few rational people shoot to make money. In the old days, even with the primitive equipment of the day, we could spend a day at the club associating with friends, new and old. Not now. They shoot and scoot.

18. ctreay

ctreay Member

I started shooting trap in the late 60's. I spent many nights in the "house"
    loading those old winchester traps. Most of the time the pullers always knew about how much time you needed to keep from getting your fingers snapped but every once in a while they would double clutch the button and get you. I don't miss that but I still think that those old traps threw a good target. I won't get into the 3 vs 2 hole bit.

ctreay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.