1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has the Massachusetts Firearms law changed?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by ercowles, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ercowles

ercowles Member

At a Connecticut shoot on Sunday there was quite a lot of talk about alleged changes to the Massachusetts Firearms law that supposedly now requires a separate license for ammunition. Additionally, it is said the changes make mandatory a requirement to hold both licenses to transport a firearm in or through the state. No longer is it permissible, it is said, to lock a shotgun in its case and ammunition in a separate locked container and drive to a Massachusetts ATA shoot. Can anyone enlighten us as to whether this is at all true.

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Call GOAL the mass gun owners ActionLeague, they are up On all laws, their web site also has great quick reference guides to local laws and how they relate to non residents for which I am now happily one. Fc

3. ercowles

ercowles Member

4. ercowles

ercowles Member

5. Frank C

Here is some good info for non residents planning on traveling to the Peoples Republic of Mass! I hope the link works FC

6. Frank C

Just keep the gun in a locked case and you will be fine. In reading the law, it does not state that ammo must also be locked.... But read it for yourself

7. ercowles

ercowles Member

Thanks for that Frank. It would appear that this reading represents what we have been doing for the past several years heading into Mass. for ATA events.
    But the talk this weekend was that the laws have been changed and made much more strict, with the implication that if one followed the old laws, you could find yourself jailed immediately for having a shotgun or ammunition in your vehicle without two separate licenses. It seems far-fetched, and that's why I posted the question in the first place. --Ed

8. Frank C

no such laws have changed as far as I am aware. There is no non resident license required to go to a shoot or travel through the state. nor if you have a hunting license.....if laws had changed, GOAL would have been all over it!
    just keep it locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

have mass firearms licenses changed