1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has the cold weather had an effect on your shootin

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Has this cold and damp weather had an effect on your shooting? I have not been shooting much these last few months.

What I have noticed is I am shooting before I get the gun to the target and my buddy shooting partner has been doing the same thing.

I have noticed I am not holding the gun tight against my shoulder when this happens.

Friday night and Saturday night this was happening frequently, but I settled down and won the Annie Oakley.

I just got the new Comb Parts from Caesar Guerini and installed them a few minutes ago, maybe that will make me do my part holding the gun tighter to check them out.

Maybe it is loss of concentration added into the arena.

Those Longshot 1 1/8th oz of 6s are really doing their job at 1475fps in the Gun Club Hull w/34.3 grs Longshot, Rio Primer, Windjammer wad @ 8,800 psi.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I haven't fired a shot since labor day. It's been a long winter in Minnesota.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yeah, I've been pretty much snowbound since the middle of January. Some days about all I was done was feed the cows and keep the furnace running.

John C.Saubak

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Dr. Longshot: Have you tried 1-1/4 #6 with Rem S/P wad with 28-29 grains of Long Shot in a sts with Fiocchi primer. They will give you a more dense patern with no more recoil than your fast 1-1/8's. Clyde

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

I sure hope so,if not my shooting had deteriated for nothing.

Doug H.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I suffer from dry eyes in cold weather. Dr. said the tear ducts work overtime so to speak. He gave me some eye drops but I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

7. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I've noticed that after freezing my a#s of early in the winter I've felt a little off balance when I'm on the line... and I'm not talking about that recurring mental problem either!

8. capulona

capulona TS Member

The cold weather, a little bit...

But the rain !!! Our club in Fairfield NJ was under 4.5 feet of water as of the weekend.

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

My shooting has gone down hill. I seriously considered quitting trap after this past weekend, shot a 23 after dropping the 2nd and 4th bird of the first round and then ran the rest. The second set of 25 I shot a 15. I'll give my shooting another 1.5 months but if I can't start shooting a ~93% avg. (where I left off at Westy's last year) then I'm dropping trap and I'm going to start shooting IPSC. There's nothing fun about shooting embarrassing and pathetic score week after week.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I shoot my best in a t-shirt. It is the layers of cloths that ruin my shooting. I may shoot in a t-shirt this weekend if it is around 50 degrees. No wind of course. Jon

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Stl Flyn,

I live by the same philosophy. I've shot all winter here in NY in shorts but I think wearing pants would hurt my scores even more. I'm hoping that as soon as I ditch the jacket my score reflect it.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ya I switched to skeet! But only until snow is gone.

13. shotgunr47

shotgunr47 Member

I haven't fired a shot since returning from the Autumn Grand 07/Nov. I did shoot

in every winter league last year and it just wasn't fun freezin' my a*s off

every week(No. Utah) so decided to take this winter off and fix up the reloading room and

other 'honeydo' projects around here. I also had Jay at MoneyMaker put an adj rib

on my tm-1, and re-blued everything with a non-shining type. With my gold prec.

trigger the gun looks great and am hoping to shoot it soon. This cabin fever

sucks. Jeff

14. epmn

epmn TS Member

My scores stayed about the same over the winter here in Minnesota and that is while shooting about 200 birds a week. There were a couple of 1F days in that stretch. Now I am getting messed up by removing layers as things warm up.

epmn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.