1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has shooting gotten too expensive?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jnoemanh, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

We (wife and I) started shooting in the mid-70s, and shot until the early 80s, when we quit, for a variety of reasons. We just started shooting again, and I was surprised at how little costs had increrased. Our local gun club charged $3 for targets then, and it's still $3. New shells were $2.90/ box then, and until a few months ago were $3.60, now up to $4. Allowing for inflation, our cost for shooting has actually gone down.

Two exceptions - the wife's first Rem 1100 cost $260, and her new one was $700. Also, 25 years ago I could reload for $1.50/box. At present component prices, we shoot only new shells. I can't reload as cheap as new. In fact I sold my reloaders and put the money in 150 boxes of new shells. I'm happy not to be reloading. I know some guys enjoy it, but I always thought it was a PITA.

-Happy shooter.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I started in 1982. Shells were $105 a case ($50+ a flat), hard shot was $28 a bag for a while, and registered targets were $16/100 or so. With inflation factored in it's way cheaper now.

Neil

3. skydiver

skydiver TS Member

If this is true. Why are there always post about the cost of shooting getting to high ans driving off shooters?

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

It's true. The cost of shooting trap at the Michigan Trapshooting Association, for example, has gone up at less than half the rate of inflation for at least the last fifty years. Registered trapshooting is a relative bargain.

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I starte shooting in 1986. At that time a case (20boxes) of Gold Medals was $55, shot was $8.50/bag, powder was $48 for 8lbs, and club member price per round was $1.75. I has all doubled for me. Except for the Carter years that is more than inflation for the 20 years that have passed. JRM

6. skydiver

skydiver TS Member

If you adjust those prices for inflation the current prices would be Shells $99.33, shot $15.35, powder $86.69, and targets $3.16.

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Minor correction: targets at the GLG were $26/100, not $26.50.

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I should have said even with the Carter years all of it is more than inflation alone would have increased the prices. JRM

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It might be proportionally less to shoot now than 20 or so years ago, but it's still too costly for a lot of folks. Don't forget what gasoline cost back then, too.

You can rationalize today's shot, shell and component prices all you want - that doesn't make them any cheaper.

Ed

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Prices have doubled since 1985.

Neil

11. Ted N.

Ted N. TS Member

It's not the cost of shooting, as such, but the related costs like motels, gas, food, etc that have the cost up there. To use the Minnesota state shoot as an example, I could not go anywhere for a week and have the amount of fun and good fellowship that I can have there. It still is a great family pasttime, and really quite reasonable compared to a lot of other vacations.

Shoot well, Ted N

12. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Ya'll need to get into sporting clays,like i am,
    at .45 cents to $1.10 a bird,
    And you get virtually nothin in return,
    then you'd have a legitimate gripe.

13. rumseyplum

rumseyplum TS Member

Ya know, of course it costs more to shoot. What doesn't cost more nowadays? My club, (Carlisle Fish and Game), in Pennsylvania, is raising target prices this year, for the first time in a long time. My point is: local club shooting, ie: leagues, practice, is still a bargain. Bottom line...support your local club...Bob F...

14. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

It's not fair. I paid for my model 12 in one year (1987)with my winnings. At this point it will take 17 years to pay for my Seitz.

15. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

By far I think trap is a cheaper sport. I used to be a skeet shooter, and NO I didn't wear pink panties. LOL! In trap there is no mandatory purse. Most skeet shoots part of your entry fee includes class purse, gun champ purse, and runner up purse. Plus you have to pay refs. I quit shooting skeet after 10 years of registered targets. I can shoot trap 2 weekends for the price of 1 weekend skeet tourney. I shoot targets only in doubles and singles, but I load the wagon in Caps. Gas at $3.00 a gallon, and cheap shells at $4.25 sucks, but it is still minimal inflation. My 2 cents, Matt

16. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Well I'm glad to hear that it's cheaper than it used to be when adjusted for inflation - you guys really cheered me up - but it sure hurt to buy 1000 W209s today at Sportsman's Warehouse for $31.99 plus tax ($6.00 more than last year at same store). The shot was still holding at $30.99 - I was relieved it didn't go up, LOL! 8 lbs of Clays was $134.99. Just last year, they were selling 4 lbs of Clays for $54.99 a piece which is $25.00 less (for two) than the current 8 lb price. I don't shoot enough to be griping too much though, and I enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting, so, damn the torpedoes...

Jennifer (Idaho)

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's only too expensive for me since I have retired and don't have the disposable income I once had.

18. moldmaker

moldmaker TS Member

I don't think it is the cost of the game but the cost of everything else that has gone up. Especially gas and taxes. I don't think people realize how much taxes have been increase in just the last 20 years. Tax breaks have been all but eliminated, except for home equity loans. Medical cost and insurance is out of sight. Unless you're and illegal alien in this country. Sorry kinda got carried away.

19. REA

REA TS Member

Around 1965, shot cost $5 a bag max, (now it is as high as $40). primers were no more than $10 /1000. A box of field loads were $2 max. Yes things are more expensive. Plus gas, unemployment, starvation wages.

20. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I'm cutting back. Practice will go to almost nothing. I'll be very selective in tournaments, and those won't be long drives nor require motel expense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting clays expensive