1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**Has anyone tried to re-size with a Mec 650?**

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

My Mec 650 came with a resizer that screws over the deprimer. I tried it out and couldn't get it to work. Any suggestions? Bill B

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ismah:

Are you sure it's a 650?

Here's what MEC says about the current 650N model, "The MEC 650N does not resize except as a separate operation." They go on to suggest a Supersizer.

I have a pair of older MEC 650's - one 12 ga. one 20 ga. Like the 650N, as hulls rotate thru the stations, they're held in place by a carrier. There's no way for a steel ring resizer to work on a 650.

sissy

3. ismah

ismah Member

Sissy, Yes it's a 650. The re-sizer tube came as an accessory and at the very top of the deprimer station there is about a sixteenth of an inch of threads that it screws onto. When I tried to resize some Gun Clubs it just squashed them. Bill

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

1/16th of inch of threads isn't very much at all. I don't think it would be able to size and hold onto the machine with that little of thread coupling. I would bet money that would fail in less than a few hundred rounds sized if you do get it to work. Just Say'n................

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I tried to resize once on the 650, but after loading 200 shells, I stepped on the scale and found I was still the same weight AND the same size! ....Rick
    (Sorry, the devil made me do it.....).

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ismah:

I'd suggest cutting directly to the chase and call MEC. Good luck.

sissy

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm not real familar with the 650 but i also didn't know it was possible. I think "Sissy" has the best idea. They will walk you thru it. Please let us know what MEC says for our education.

MEC Reloaders

For Technical Support call: (800) 797-4632

8. cle

cle Member

Ismah.......

I had a MEC with the same "resizer die" around the deprimer pin. Could never get a proper resizing on the hulls and it really slowed down the whole process.
    Finally gave up and bought a MEC "Hull Conditioner" that resized and deprimed together. It did a good job but added an additional, separate step.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've done it. It works but it's not easy. For me it was easier to just change resize rings and resize on a 600 jr. I have for another gauge.

10. wm rike

wm rike Member

As a general rule, if I choose to load much with a MEC, I don't mess with the ring-type resizer for a little list of reasons. If you are just getting started with reloading, you would be better off to omit it or, painful as it may be, take the necessary cash to get yourself into a collet type resizer.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Mec Sizemaster...

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

650s came with a PITA add-on re-sizer!! I threw mine away and kept my hulls seperated between my 1100 and model 12. Solved that problem.

Hap

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per recoil sissy buy that Mec super sizer, it's # 77 I think it's a collet type and yes it's a separate step but if you shoot different guns-- one with a tight chamber or not perfectly round this will be your salvation, it will also do an excellent job on steel head gun clubs which are about the longest lasting hull for me. Ross

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Put the 650 on Ebay and start looking for a used Grabber.

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

No knock toward the Gun Clubs, they are great hulls, maybe the best as far as the promotional style goes. But those steel bases don't retain a size memory like brass bases and some times can be a bitch to resize especially with a slip over resizer vs. a collet type resizer.

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Ismah - Supersizer ($40) for sale at TS.com. At the link.

17. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

When I had one I was shooting an 1100, I did not resize as long as I only shot the hulls from my gun.

If I picked up hulls I had to resize with the Jr.

Take care,

Jim

18. ismah

ismah Member

Thanks everyone. I tried it again on my 650 and it just doesn't work. Guess i'll try that sizemaster. Bill

19. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

Resizing on a 650 is a separate function, before you actually reload. You have to have the 1/4 inch bushing that goes in the deprime station that comes with your reloader, unless you threw it away because it wasn't obvious what it was for, to raise the shell up enough for the resizer to slide all the way to the rim. Works fine if set up correctly. Bert

20. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bill: I have a Hornady 366. This has a resizer; but I find it a PIA to resize on this loader. I have a MEC Supersizer. This has a collett resizer and I can resize a box of shells in one minute. I would highly recommend that you use the Supersizer and resize all of your hulls and then load them on your 650. It will give you piece of mind that your reloads will fit in any gun that you choose to shoot them in. JMHO. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

converting the mec 650 to resize

does mec 650 resize brass

does the mec 650 resize

does the mec 650 resize shells

mec 650 resizing ring