1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

has anyone tried Nopalea for joint inflamation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

This is shooting related because if I can not control the joint inflamation in my hands I will be forced to curtail big time my favorite sport trap shooting. I was recently diaognosed with CPPD which is pseudogout.It is a form of gout but not caused by diet. The joints in the wrist and fingers get inflamed and it can be very painful. I saw this ad for Nopalea which is an extract from a cactus that is in drink form. It is supposed to be a strong natural anti inflamatory. It is sold by an MLM Tri Vita. I am searching for anything that can help reduce the inflamation in my wrist and fingers. I would rather take a natural product than MD drugs. Therefore, I was wondering if any one has tried this product? I am not interested in MLMs been there done that. I just want to improve my health! TY

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Great question! I take Celebrex now for arthritis pain and would be interested in this product, too.

Ed

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I broke my ankle as a kid and walked around on it for a while, causing a lot of damage. It came back to haunt me after I hit 60, felt like there was a fire going on in there.

After a lot of false starts by myself, my doctor put me on Diclofenac.

I later found a pharmacist shooter who uses it too. I think it's the best thing going for me, and Walmart sells it for 5 bucks a refill.

If I stop taking it the fire comes back.

Reccomended dose is 2 a day but I only take one, so it costs me 2.50 a month.

That's my best info, try it.

HM

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For arthritis my wife took Voltaren for some time... in generic form was very effective for her issues and then she had her hip done... recommended for osteo and mild RA...

Cheap and effective possibility?!

regards all,

Jay Spitz

5. mobear

mobear Member

Diclofenac is the generic form of Voltaren, i have been on it for quite a long time now, and it works great, you will frequently need to have blood work done to make sure that it is not effecting your kidneys though.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I take Indocin or also known as Indomethacin....works well for me..would be locked up tite as a drum without it

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Took Celebrex for 6mos in 2004. Had a massive heart attack while taking it. It really helped me and my cardiologist told me it wasn't the Celebrex that caused the attack. When I asked her if I could go back on it she said no.

I now take diclofenac and it works but not as well as the Celebrex.

I write this not to dump of Celebrex........only to relate MY experience.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just a brief overview on Google says the company promoting it is promising clinical research results but nobody can find that any have been done or planned.

9. Borderland

Borderland Member

Nopal is Spanish for the leaf or tuna of the prickly pear cactus when it is cut into green bean size strips and used as a vegetable dish. Like the Aloe Vera (another succulant cactus) when the leaf is cut or damaged a gelatinous liquid appears that is supposed to have curative properties. Many people in South American drink (if you can get it down)or smear this liquid on in the belief that it is helpful. Of course the Aloe is used in many skin products. Now no one can dispute the medicinal properties of the Blue Agave when it is made into Tequila

Ken

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

For the guys taking Diclofenac Sodium/Voltaren, you might want to think twice. There are some new warnings about liver issues. Get your liver tested (blood tests) on a regular basis. Any change, you know what is doing it. Found it out the hard way. Even the gel is known for it's hepatoxicity. If left unchecked, this stuff can kill you.

As for Nopalea, never tried it. It's a form of cactus juice and is reported to be either beneficial, harmful, or snake oil. Depends on the source. I'd do a lot of research before spending a ton of money on it or actually drinking the stuff.

11. 90T

90T Member

Striper,
    Give me your email address, and I'll give you some important, first hand information regarding Nopalea.
    ( yes, I do use it )
    90T ( be advised I have a strange work schedule, and may not get back here for a couple days, or so )

12. striper

striper Member

90T sent you PM but my email is jmarks10@windstream.net. Hope to hear from you.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If the FDA hasnt approved it- why would you think it works? More importantly- why would you put it in your body?

Everyone thinks they have found something magical that very few other people know about.

Take what your doctor prescribes-

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rather than Voltaren/Diclofenac you might look into Kafenac/Aceclofenac. It is specifically recommended for bone/joint inflammation.

I have found it to have fewer side effects than Voltaren, and WAY fewer than indomethacin.

As a natural product you might look into Bromelain (from the pineapple plant). This is a well documented anti-inflammatory.

David D

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"If the FDA hasnt approved it- why would you think it works?"

Much of the FDA is ALL about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....

They are not necessarily on the up and up.

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I have mild arthritis in my feet and shoulders. I tried aspirin and similar NSAIDS and also Celebrex for about 6 months. Neither one did a thing for me.

My wife suggested glucosamine/chondroitin. I'm not disposed to take over the counter meds, so I looked it up. It's over the counter, is well tolerated with few if any side effects, no interactions with other drugs, and it helps me. I've been taking it for about a year, and I can tell if I skip a dose.

Like any medical advice you get here, look it up. What works great for me may not work for you.

17. 90T

90T Member

Striper,
    Will send you an email soon.
    90T

18. pullll

pullll Member

Inflammation appears to be a shady area for many physicians. I have needed Voltaren for five years, as well as can be tolerated, always taking the needed blood work every six months. Recently being seen by a neurologist who specializes with inflammation of nerves around bone joints, etc. I am now on a restrictive test diet, no beef, pork, soy, wheat, eggs, peanuts, and several more foods. Allowed to eat, but not limited to foods such as chicken, fish, fresh or frozen vegetables, fresh fruits etc. Several trap shooting friends have used this doctor and have had positive results eliminating joint pain. It appears to me that some foods are not well tolorated for certain people. these friends need of pain meds has been reduced or mostly eliminated. I have no idea what results to expect but joint pain takes away a lot of everyday pleasures, especially trap shooting.

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Try MS Contin in low dose,15-30 mg couple times/day. This is about as good as it gets for joint/muscle inflammation & pain. Doctors call it the "Gold Standard" & measure most all else by it. Be advised that this stuff is very scary & can be addictive & you must be monitered very closely. Generic name is Morphine Sulfate.

20. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

My wife suffered from arthritis for years and took every drug in the world trying to beat it. Most of the drug side effects were worse than the condition. Then we stumbled onto the little publicized facts of FOOD allergies. She quit all dairy products and the arthritis disappeared in a couple weeks. Yes, weeks and she had been on the drug therapy for almost four years with NO relief to speak of. Then she put down the poison diet sodas and the screaming headaches disappeared. Western medicine has conditioned us to figure a pill will solve anything. Sometimes less really is more and not eating things your body thinks is crap can be a good thing.

Only a few regular MD's are willing to speak out on food allergies but they are fortunately easy to find now with the 'net. You don't have to be a nut-case tree hugger to eat right and be nice to yourself.

check it out - save your money - save your life

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.