1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone seen this before in a reload?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I got, what I thought was a squib load today, and found this! What in the heck happened?
    [​IMG]

2. yvonne

The end is concave

[​IMG]

3. yvonne

Looks like it imploded!
    [​IMG]

4. yvonne

One more....
    [​IMG]

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Yes, I've seen that happen when a loader tries to insert a primer in a hull that already has a primer in it.

Carol Lister

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Well you will need a longer firing pin!!! HEHEHEHE...

Had one do that once... had a primer that fell into the primer pocket and then put another on top of it..

7. don q

don q TS Member

That's when you want a die you can remove rather than make a mess if you can identify the problem when it jams. Thats why I bought the removable set-up from Whiz, takes about 5 min get back to loading. don q

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The only time I ever saw one concave such as that the fella loaded open flash hole primers (old Remington 209's) with Winchester ball powder and it blew the back out of the primer and pushed the case into the barrel. Had a heck of a time getting the case out of the barrel. No open flash holes since!

Big Jack

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Carol Lister has it right.

I never take any reload and shoot it without a quailty check. My P/W reloader dumps my reloads on my bench, when I get about 50 on the bench I begin boxing them up. I take 5 in my hand and look at each crimp and then look at the primers, I then roll all 5 at once on my hand looking for anything wrong on the side of the hull. By doing this quality check I have not had a funny sounding or blooper shell in so many years I can't recall (at least 10 years).

I will get an occasional reloaded shell with a problem, these I seperate into a special container and then when I have time I will go thru these and do whatever to make it right. Shells that aren't to bad I will use for practice, the rest I disassmble, saving only the shot and powder.

Tom Strunk

10. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

was that done on warren

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That can also happen when using oversized primers such as nobels

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I do exactly as Tom Strunk does. Same reloader, same inspection, the slightly different ones go to a practice box. The only problem I hav eiht my PW is that it likes better hulls. Worn crimps tend to catch on the wad insertion and offset the index and then the whole machine goes "KA-FOOMP".

Yvonne. I have had that happen becasue of the indexing situation I mention above. But I liked my MEC grabber because it forced me to mostly inspet the finished product. And my PW is more precise, but I still inspect the loads prior to boxing them. I do exactly as Tome Strunk does. I do not have "KA-FOOMP" issues as long as I use lightly used hulls.

[​IMG]

I load STS hull exclusively. But thise odd hulls were begging to be run thru and so I did jus tot see what they would look like.

13. yvonne

The shell was loaded on a mec 9000G. Thanks for the info!

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

A guy gave me a bag of once fired "AAs" and all of them were domed in like yours. He had fired them all in an old 11-48 Remington. After running them through my Grabber, they were fine.

15. philk

philk Member

What Tom said. You should have caught that on your boxing inspection.

16. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I would have expected to hear that the shell had been loaded on a press that was powered in some way... hydraulic or electric. I tried to double-prime a hull once with a P-W and the amount of force that would have been necessary to get the loader to cycle probably would have broken it first.

It's so important that the operator be able to feel the machine working and be able to pick up on changes in sound, pressure, resistance or movement to know when something has gone wrong. If it feels odd, stop and check it!!

Carol Lister

17. kstwind

kstwind TS Member

I have seen this before too but dont know the cause. I have loaded tens of thousands of trap loads with no problems then one time I wanted some field loads so got some HS5. I assembled three cases exactly as per the loading data even weighing the charge. On firing, there was no recoil, a peculiar sound and upon opening the gun I found the exact same looking empty. I tried the second one with the same results. I dismantled the third and rechecked the contents. No problem there. I destroyed the rest of that can of powder. The base of the empty was caved in and the primer was gone and the primer hole would allow a new one to fall through. My guess was the powder was not what the label showed. I had a second can and several years later I tried one reload from it and it did the same thing so I had another nice 4th of July fountain with that can also.

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Load details? What powder and what primer especially.

19. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

I actually started to do this once (prime an already primed hull) but caught myself before I exerted to much pressure , you should be able through feel know when there is a problem and stop ASAP, I'm curious why "yvonne" didn't notice or question the extra force required as it looks like he had to stand on it , thats why I'm not a big fan of hydraulic systems no feel to tell if something might be going wrong.

20. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

If your reloader only supports the case by the rim when priming, this is the result if you have a primer that doesn't want to fit into the case for some reason, oversize, already primed, whatever, and you use enough force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.