1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Seen The Empty Hull Picker Upper?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

We are looking to buy one for the trap kids. You roll it and it picks up the hulls and drops them in a basket as you push it, saw one years ago, do they still make it?

If so how much and where do we get one?

E-mail me or PM me w/info.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

They are made for picking up golf balls and have been used to pick up hulls. Try a golf driving range they may be able to help you locate one, wherever they get their supplies.

3. skipsor

skipsor Member

Go to ammoupusa.com. You can also scroll down the page and there is a post about this product. It may be what you're looking for but they are a bit pricey.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have one and they are also used to pick up pecans. Pull up bag a nut or simply type in pecan picker upper and you will see a sample. They are made by different names and different applications. Mine was originally around $400.00 and works well for pecans or hulls. I don't remember what model mine is. Jackie B.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We have one at our club. We ask shooters to pick up their own empties during practice, so it doesn't get used that much. We have solid cement pads which helps, and we get it out for registered shoots, especially for doubles. It works well for picking them up off the cement, not as well from the grass. Mark
    [​IMG]

6. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

How about just picking your hulls when your done and not leaving them for someone else to clean up your mess. Your mother doesn't work here.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Every place I've seen one they don't use them. They pick up some of the empties and leave a bunch too. You end up hand picking anyway.

8. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

We use plastic rakes and plastic snow or utility shovels. Rake the empties into piles then rake into shovel like using a dust pan and broom. You don't have to hand pick any hulls or bend at all. You can buy dozens of rakes and shovels for the same price as the machine.

Tom

9. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"How about just picking your hulls when your done and not leaving them for someone else to clean up your mess. Your mother doesn't work here."

The Silver Dollar has rules posted prohibiting you from picking up your own hulls.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Pecan picker works well.

11. letts

letts TS Member

The pecan picker I have cost me about $15.00 works good for my personal use.

Letts

12. pitt100

pitt100 TS Member

A big magnet epoxied to the end of a stick is cheap and works great. We have 3 and clean up is a breeze! (Still have to bend down to pick up the brass though).

Pitt

13. chemist

chemist Member

Would someone please tell me why is it against the rules to pick up your hulls at the silver dollar?
    Can you keep them if you extract and take them out of the gun?

Rich K- chemist

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Chemist: Silver Dollar wants to sell them, Yes if you pull them out of Bbl and put in your shell bag you are OK.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Hmmmm....when I was a "trap kid" we picked up hulls the old fashion way. It wasn't that hard and it worked pretty well. Are these the same kids that expect a trophy at the end of the season even thought they lose every ball game?

16. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

One of the clubs I shoot at uses plastic grass rakes to collect the hulls in a pile, then a plastic manure fork to pick them up. The fork is slightly cupped side to side (maybe 1 to 1 1/2 "), but the flex in the tines allows them to scoop flat under the pile, then the cup keeps the hulls from falling off. It isn't like the metal forks we are used to, it has at least double the number of tines closely spaced, so nothing falls through.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Many clubs, not just the Dollar, have the rule that if you hulls hit the ground they belong to the club. The only reason for the rule it to prevent shooters from wasting valuable shoot minutes and keep the shoot moving. Many times the rule is posted in the program for registered shoots.

This usually only refers to organized shoots that are time sensitive. Most clubs will let you pick up YOUR own shells during practice. The clubs that enforce the rule usually don't want folks just willy nilly harvesting more than their own shells. Some clubs sell the hulls. One major gun club used to let the caretaker keep all the hulls that hit the ground. It was part of his compensation.

18. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I have shot and picked up my hulls at the Dollar.. they didn't take them away from me.. they didn't yell at me.. they didn't take away my birthday.

Common sense and thoughtfulness for those waiting to shoot is the key to this.. if it's a big shoot and your holding up the next squad crawling around grabbing every new hull on the ground then YES.. then they should yell at you and take away your birthday !!

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gary, It seems to me that a good magnet with a curved head on a telescoping type rod that would retract and fit into a standard size shooting bag would be a good seller. Not sure where you could find one, but maybe the dollar could have some made up on a special run and sell them there and on-line as well until gone. break em all Jeff

20. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I reload, so the empties go from my gun to my hull bag. Even when I'm shooting shells that won't get reloaded they go in the bag. It's a very short walk from the line to the garbage can at the end of a round. Why make a mess for someone else to clean up?

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
golf ball picker upper
pecan picker upper

pecan pickers

push pecan picker upper