1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone picked up any New Ithaca Vent Rib Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I was at the Ohio State shoot and looked at the Ithaca 37 Trap and the Grade 4 and Grade 5,

When looking down the side of the rib where it is attached to the Bbl the ripples in the Bbl at rib support posts, Terrible looking.

You would think a company would not release a product with those what I call imperfections, terrible workmanship.

I was not the only one noticing it, there were numerous others.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

The ripples are from the machining the supports as part of the barrel. It is far superior to soldering the supports to the barrel. Duh!!

3. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Actually it is from too thin of barrel and when the rib post get soldered on it distorts the barrel tube!!! DUH!!! Tim

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

They are absolutely gorgeous shotguns, proudly made in the USA. It's hard to improve a John Browing design but they may have done so.

-Gary

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Solderless barrel equates to no heat distortion. I've shot the 28 gauge - very nice gun! GAP

6. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Oletymer is right, Ithaca machines their barrel and rib supports from one block of steel, expensive but strong. I have a 37 in 28 gauge, sweet little magic wand, just under 6 lbs.

JohnR
    [​IMG]

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You mean to tell me someone FINALLY did something about that hideous rolled on engraving?

8. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Nothing fancy but this is the base gun.
    [​IMG]

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

50/50 gun at best.

10. Dr.Longshot

None of you obviously looked at the guns on display, definetly heat caused ripples when applying the rib posts, very poorly done to say the least.

Guns were on display at Ohio State Shoot.

I have not seen them on the older Ithaca Shotguns

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I took a look at their Phoenix momentarily. Could not get the top lever to lock over correctly. Thought maybe it was designed that way, some over/unders and side by sides don't have a lockover mechanism. I looked closer, and it turned out it was SUPPOSED to lock over, but the pin that protrudes from the breech face which releases the top lever when you close the gun (and locks it to the side when you open it) was AWOL. Oops.

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

The gun also is available with different ribs. On the trap model you can order a 60/40 or 70/30 rib. You remove a screw and slide on off and another on. With the adjustable comb you can get almost any POI you desire.

13. Dr.Longshot

Just like a not knowing person that has not looked at the NEW Ithaca Guns Bbls do not know what they are talking about, it is a heat problem installing the rib posts, and they are not made by machining posts from the same blank as the BBl as this would be way too Expensive to manufacture at the price the guns are selling for.

Are they making their Bbls or are they buying them from a Bbl Mfgr like a lot of Gun Mfgrs do, Very few make their own Bbls, some purchase Bbl Blanks and do the machining and threading for the mono-blocks.

You guys see I know a lot of what I am talking about.

If you doubt me contact Ithaca Gun Company here in Ohio and see for yourself.

Moneymaker bought Barrells from a Bbl Mfgr as he told me some Bbl mfgrs did not make a Bbl close enough to their specs, to prove a point he cut one in half to show the Mfgr that the Bbl was too thin in places and sent all the Bbls back to them'

Ask his son about it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

They do make their barrels from one blank themselves. I have talked to them and I own one. There is no heat applied as the posts are not added to the barrel. I see you don't know guano about what you are talking about.

15. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Please check out the Ithaca website - the drop down box explaining how their barrels are made.

Machined posts integral to the barrel. No argument.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Some know-it-alls should read Ithacas website. Provided above.

A quote from their site. Two lines down in the gun features:

"•Solderless Barrel System : strongest, truest barrel of any shotgun"

Then further down:

"The new Ithaca upland shotgun sets itself apart from the pack in this crucial way: It has absolutely no soldering or other heat-induced joints. Our Ithaca SBS (Solderless Barrel System) vent rib barrel is the straightest, strongest barrel you can get because it is entirely a machined component--that means the barrel has never warped from heat and it does not require any corrective straightening. The attachment of the vent rib to the barrel is accomplished with a single screw, allowing easy replacement. This approach to barrel making also allows us to use a better grade of steel than what is commonly found on shotguns."
    [​IMG]

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hello Doc, just gonna hide now?

18. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

LongSnort bashing a quality American made shotgun. Don't own one but would like to have one. LongSnort clueless again.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Raise your hand if you think Longsh!t is full of balony as usual.
    [​IMG]

20. oletymer

oletymer Member

I don't know about usual but he is full of something other than baloney on this one.

Search tags for this page

animal raising hand