1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone paterned Federal papers........

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Has anyone here ever paterned Federal Papers reloaded with the 12C1 wad vs those reloaded with the 12S3? Is the 12C1 superior?

ss

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I bet Neil W has. ... ;-)

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Well, I would have. . .

I even have a fresh bag of 12C1's sitting next to my reloader but I was distracted by Müller and Briley Helix chokes and didn't get time. North Star Clay Target will cover them both before long. I'm getting my flak jacket patched and resewn at this moment; I expect to need it.

Next spring, unless something comes up. Heck, it's almost New Years - spring is just around the corner!

Neil

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Neil Neil Neil(shaking my head)

You got suckered into the Helix thing???

5. Neil Winston

Just you wait, grnT. As you know, they were banned by the NSSA/NSCA as being, in the words of those rules committees "an unfair advantage," and production was stopped. Thus I expect them to become some of the most sought-after equipment for those ever-more-popular "outlaw" SC shoots, surpassing even the "Everted-Turkey" tubes which bring to mind an image I don't even want to think about. They - I bought Briley's entire remaining stock - are in my safe and will only be offered to a select, wealthy few and the price will be appropriately high. They are the only way to buy a spot on the podium I have ever seen. I'll put your name on the waiting list if you like.

Neil

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

LOL..........Sure put me on the list.

I would like to see the data. You know the patterns, charts, graphs etc. etc. I picture in my mind a buzz saw cutting thru the air. No??

7. Neil Winston

Well, more like a thousand buzz-saws, but in general, yes.

Neil

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Funny stuff. "Only the Shadow knows"

The guy to ask this question is "Cubancigar". When it comes to relaoding papers for fun and profit, he is king.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

"Moooolers"

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I once patterned them and found no advantage other than a bit softer shooting and they smell good. Sniff.

11. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shoot Federal Paper reloads in the warm dry season. I have loaded a lot of 12S3s when I could not get the 12C1s. I was lucky enough to find and buy 3 full cases of 12C1s last year. In my patterning, I have found them both to be good with the 12C1 having the best pattern. I'm old school. Can't beat Federal papers, soft in recoil and the smell is intoxicating. Bill Hom

12. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Federal papers makes up about 90% of my reloads, with the Federal Gold Medal plastic being the other hulls. And to date I've used 12S3 wads and found them to throw excellent patterns with a variety of chokes, from XFull to Mod. Depending upon the weather conditions, these are the chokes I use. On those cold, strong headwind, high pressure blue-sky days, sometimes even the XFull choke is not enough to keep the pattern from opening up too much. The consistent Federal Paper patterns help on days like this with the 12S3 wads. I'm pretty sure the C1 wads would be about the same...

13. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Neil,

Please delay all testing until I run out of the 12C1 wads I'm currently loading.. at the current rate it should be about this time next year.

Thank you,

Jerry B.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Switch over to Federal 12 S-4's. You'll never miss 12 C-1's and the crimp with bulkier powders is the greatest!!

15. 2shot

2shot Member

I use claybuster fig.8 (red) 21grs. green dot. Super 27 yd. load and still smells good. I found no differance with 12c1s when I had them.

16. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

DR windjammers work the best!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.