1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Has Anyone Had to Use Bear Spray?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Have any of you been in a position where you had to use bear spray? What brand is best? Are there rules to follow regarding its use? Thanks.

BB

2. philk

philk Member

My plan is two rounds of bird shot and the 20 ga O/U will be empty followed by 6 rds of 44 mag hammers. Dam, I hope thats enough.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

A shooting buddy went to Alaska last year trout fishing, a brown bear started to chase the guide's dog from 100 yards away while they were cleaning fishes by the river, everyone ran for the boat, one fat guy tripped and fall on the bank, the guide pull out his rifle while the fat guy managed to sit up and pull out his bear spray, the dog went pass him and jump into the water toward the boat, he rise his arm and push the spay when the 10'er was 15 feet away, the spay went 90 degree sideway....

The guide didn't want to shoot while the fat guy is still in the sight line, but the bear went right pass the fat guy and went straight for the fish they left on the ground.

Nobody knew if the spay would work or not.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bears love Cajun spiced people.

5. twotimer

twotimer Member

philk, only use 5 rounds out of that 44 mag, save the last one for yourself! Mike

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

When I used to backpack in the Rockies I was told to wear little bells on my pack and gear to alert bears to my presence. I was also told to carry pepper spray.

I once shared a campsite with local guys that called themselves cowboys though they also guided hunters in the fall for their rancher/outfitter boss. They were on vacation riding the trails they would be guiding hunters on in the fall. They had horses and when we went over the saddle the next morning they slung my pack and my wife's pack on their horses. That made a tough climb and hike much easier.

While spending some time with them they showed me how the check bear scat to determine if this was from a black bear or from a grizzly. It turns out black bear scat smells like pepper spray, but grizzly scat has little bells in it. ;-)

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wasp sprat:
    WASP Spray

I know some of you own GUNS but this is something to think about...---
    If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection.. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.
    The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them..."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!

8. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

mrskeet410, here is a sign for your story. BIG JIM

9. dhip

dhip Active Member

I know it probably will spark a controversy,however,I was surprised while reading a survival book to find out that between a Black bear,and a Grizzly bear,the one that can actually consider you FOOD,,is the Black bear not the Grizzly.Playing dead trick,can work on a Grizzly,but NOT a Black bear if it intends on eating you.Oh,the bears DO have a false charge,you find that out if they run past you,,lol,,

Doug H.

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

Supposedly it works. You have to be close. It is an irritant, not a repellant, I've heard of people spraying it on packs, coolers etc thinking it would deter bears - it won't. Actually being a food based (pepper) product it would more likely attract bears. You have to hit them in the face with the spray - so it's pretty much a last resort.

A friend of mine talked to a Yellowstone park ranger that had used it on more than one occasion. His practice was to keep two cans handy on a chest strap - with the pins pulled. When he had a serious encounter with a bear, he dumped both cans into the bears face.

IF we are hunting in bear country I keep it handy - I try to avoid hunting in bear country. But there are a bunch of them (Griz) around here now - We pheasant hunt on the Flathead reservation - and the bears have been found out on the flats. There are some areas northwest of town where the bears have learned that there is often food around if they hear a rifle shot. Several hunters have had griz show up while they were gutting an elk. I think Doug is correct, A black is more likely to look at you like you were food, Griz will attack if they think you're a threat- especially a sow with cubs.

john

11. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

This question is asked on every gun board on the internet. Do some research and you will find lots of good info as well as the same tired old jokes that you are getting here.

When I hiked in Yellowstone, I carried UDAP bear spray. They sell it everywhere in Montana. At the time, guns were not allowed to be carried in the park. Now they are. Next time, I'll still carry bear spray but will also have my Redhawk with 300gr hardcast bullets.

Some people carry two cans, mainly to have a backup. My backup is my Redhawk.

I have not had to use it but I got a whiff of it when I was test spraying it and it is powerful stuff. There was a documentary on TV awhile back about bear attacks and they showed a supposedly tame grizzly bear turn on a trainer and bite down on his neck. The other trainers jumped in and blasted the bear, the trainer and everyone else with bear spray. The bear instantly stopped the attack because it was blinded and could not smell anything. The bear spray effectively shut him down. He was staggering around while the trainers tried to get the man to safety. So, my conclusion from this is that bear spray works.

The advantage of spray is that you can carry it in your hand if you're in a heavy brush area or are nervous for some reason. In Yellowstone, you can't walk down a trail with a gun in your hand.

UDAP will spray 20 feet.

Bear spray vs. bullets is a religious debate. Everyone believes what they want to believe. Nobody knows for sure what will really work. Each bear attack is different. I believe that, at 10 feet, I'm better off blasting a bear in the face with a 10 second burst of spray than taking one or two shots with my magnum. Unless you get a lucky shot with the magnum, you are unlikely to shut down the bear before it kills you. That's my belief. Others believe differently. It's a religious debate.

The hiker in Yellowstone who was killed last week didn't have bear spray (or a gun) on him. They sell UDAP in every store in Yellowstone, as well as most of the gas stations, food stores, fly fishing shops and outfitters in the area. How sad....

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Has this UDAP spray ever been tested on skeet shooters?

13. philk

philk Member

Now that was funny right there.

14. philk

philk Member

I hear that Mike, hopes it chips a tooth on the scandium frame.

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

They say to play possum until the bear is right on top of you and at that point, take your thumb and stick it in the bears a$$. They hate that.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Dunno about wasp spray, but a strange dog menaced me one time in my driveway while I was working on my truck. I gave him a dose of Brak-Kleen in the eyes. Any of you who have ever had a bit of this get in your eyes know how well it works.

17. mike201011

mike201011 TS Member

Wasp spray for self defense and as an animal attack deterrent is a bad idea. It is a myth! Stick with the Pepper Spray & Bear Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans or animals. In fact, the EPA recommends Bear Spray, which is a proven tool used by Wildlife and Law Enforcement Professionals Worldwide. Quit spreading this stupid wasp spray myth before somebody gets hurt or worse killed!

18. hcable

hcable TS Member

if you or your companions have asthma do not use the pepper spray.....if it gets blown back on you it can cause a severe, maybe untreatable, ashtma attack.. [ many things can set off asthma, this is one of them ] this is fact not myth. we had a healthy 28 year old park ranger at Denali Park have the spray blown back in his face. he was not resuscitable even though efforts were maintained while he was transported to the hospital in Fairbanks. his asthma was very mild, he was not even on maintenance medications for asthma. i am a physician and an asthmatic myself....i carry a 44 magnum or 454 but no bear spray.

hf cable md

19. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Tron....!!!!!! That was unFAIR...I just choked on a fresh draft beer!!!! I'll be back...going for a fresh one....aahhhahahaahhhhha Good one Tron

20. pale horse

pale horse TS Member

I have lived in Alaska for 40 years and never had to shoot a bear black or grizzly . Bear spray is well pissing in the wind and shooting a bear with a 44mag will just piss it off. If you carry a gun for bear carry a short riot gun with the best slugs money can buy and use a shot gun with extended mag tubes. If say you where a handgun expert and had a 500 S&W or 480 you still are under gunned. I hope this helps. Best if you see a bear go away as soon as you can. Kim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

has anyone used bearmace

sport chalet bear mace