1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Ever Moulded Eccentric Targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by IndyShotgun, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Has anyone ever moulded a target with an eccentric center of gravity?

I wonder how something like this might fly.

[​IMG]

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Probably like one with a chunk out of it. Not far, and off to one side because of the wobble. The aero would be there but the wobble would throw it off, I think. Stick some gum on one and watch it go?

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

In the winter, you could turn targets upside-down, and let a bit of water freeze on one side.

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

You can also distort them with a torch and then see how eratic they fly. The only disadvantage is when they are thrown from a trap the throwing arm might break them if the rim is out of round. Larry Evans

5. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Never molded any, but I'm pretty convinced that I've shot at a couple.

Mike Mann

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was told that some pranksters glued pennies off center to make them fly funny. I never saw it, and never tried it. I just remember people telling stories.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why?????????????

You had your chance last week end to ask this question but you chose to lurk in the background. One of guys I was shooting with was the head of Manufacturing for White Flyer.

Don

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Should be easy to find out. All indy needs to do is follow a few suggestions named above and see how his personal Outers manually operated foot trap handles 'em. Of course, he might need to recover from some back issues. Having to bend over and pick up those unbroken targets at the local gun club can be quite strenuous. All in the life and trials of the world Outers trap champion!!

9. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Glue a rock to a Frisbee and find out..

10. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Don

when you tell Indy he had his chance last weekend, remember is sorry excuse.

Indy shotgun looked at your score, saw what apparently was your car, and slipped away. He said he didn't want to "intrude" on your weekend, as it would be rude.

Actually, he simply dodged you, whether out of fear or out of concern you'd see what a phony he is. He seems to only want confrontation when he is safe at home behind his keyboard.

Bob

11. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Indy.. Seriously, what would be the expected goal of doing this ?? Neil tested the spin (rpm's) on the targets from the house to the stake and very little was lost.. so I'm not sure what your looking for ..

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've plenty of eccentrics shooting targets.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

We old target setters used to throw them all the time.

I can't say for me, of course, but I've seen targets go out in plastic bags, chewing gum stuck on the inside (your eccentric target), cardboard stuck inside the target, centers broken out (in about 10 years of setting targets I never saw a target come out of the box in this condition without a setter knocking the center out with his/her knee), two targets glued together with that same chewing gum, paint scraped off, holes drilled with knife, spray painted a different color, thrown upside down (usually the machine breaks the target but when they go out whole they hit the bottom of the traphouse roof and they might do about anything after that.................and the piece da relistance, a small whisle glued to the outer top of the target that gives your eccentric action with the plus of a nice musical whistling as the target spins.

It's a boring job.

14. racer

racer TS Member

We used to fill some with ashes from the wood stove and glue a cardboard circle under them. Talk about a soot ball..... Dan

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Barry, when I volunteered to run the hand set trap for sporting clays. with two clays on the arm, we had a bunch of novices who needed soft targets. A couple of the old guys I shoot with were getting bored. So I'd put one or two in the trap upside down. They had to get on them extremely fast. Sure took them by surprise, which they liked.

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Spent my share of time setting birds. Wipe a bit of grease on the throwing rubber...the target won't spin..they can poke six or eight holes in them. Lots of dust but no break!

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.