1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN LOW MAN ON 5 MAN TEAM SHOOT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Years ago I use to love shooting in my state's 5 man team shoot. In recent years I have had the unfortunate happen, being low man on our team. Sure, most of the team will say, who cares, it's Lewis class. But I have always felt shooting the low score on a team, lets me feel as though I really let my teammates down. One year I did not shoot with my regular team and I was begged by someone to shoot on their team as they had no one else they knew. I told him I was in a slump and he didn't care. I started out on position #5 and as luck would have it, i missed two targets on that station. The guy who asked me to shoot with them started yelling that I was ruining the team. Every miss I had, he would yell something out and my score got worse. When we ended he had the high score of 99, the rest were 97, 95, 94, and mine a 92. in front of everyone, he pointed his finger at me and loudly said that I would never shoot with them again, as I ruined his team. Have any of you ever been low man on a 5 man team, and how was it handled by your other squad mates and how did it affect you? As for me, I no longer shoot 5 man teams do to the above situation.

steve balistreri

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Well that guy sounds like an a-hole. Was it Luther?

I've never shot on one other than league.

3. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

wow and these are your FRIENDS ? Even if you are a serious money shooter, I can not believe the guys on that squad took it that way. Just a tip.... find real buddies and go and have a good time and enjoy the time shooting together.

I guess I am lucky, The shooters from our club that we go to team events with are friends and fellowship is important.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Yeah I did some years ago at the Florida State Summer Championship shoot, we still won the team race. I have the trophy to prove it.

Eric

5. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

You say you really let your teammates down. Well there are 5 members and 5 scores so sombody has to be last.

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

When he dropped -his- bird he let the rest of you down. He was supposed to be the leader and only shot a 99. He did not show the rest of you the way! It's his fault, not the rest of the team.

Ajax

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

A few years back at the Southern Grand I was asked to join a squad that had a "regular" become ill and couldn't shoot. Of course, I agreed and off I went.
    They were great guys, great shooters, and kept a pace at the speed of light. At the end, our squad totalled a 499/500...guess who missed the target (95th). Talk about wanting to climb in a hole.

The best thing was, each of the guys came up, shook my hand, and thanked me for taking the pressure off of them and asked me if I would should with them the next couple days....which I gladly did.

Interestingly enough, in subsequent years they asked me to shoot with them several times. Always had fun in that squad.

Jim C

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Back when I started shooting trap at a local club, all we had were the hand set Winchester machines..Low man on the previous squad went in the hole for the next round..I spent so much time there, I learned all the dirty tricks like wiping grease on the rubber..no spin on the target ..harder then heck to break..upside down bird every once in awhile. Setting targets beyond the target finger to throw extreme angles. If the shooters could break the targets we threw, they could break anything.

Big Jack

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Shucks, 20 years ago, I was ALWAYS the low man even if I was on a squad with four blind guys. I quit shooting trap in 1974 because a shooter who almost never missed a target dropped one and blamed my poor shooting for it. I didn't as much as look at a clay target again until 1989.

In 1992, I was told that I missed too many targets and a shooter I respected greatly wouldn't shoot on our squad in an event at our state shoot because of it. He eventually did and although he had the high score (99), he was the first of us to miss. I have to admit that I smiled a little when he did...

Ed

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

No one on any squad at anytime should belittle or repromand another shooter on the squad . If they do I wouldn`t shoot with them . WE are out there to do our best and have fun in doing it . If it ever happens to me , I wish they were pointing their trigger finger at me when they did so I could make it impossible for them to continue shooting that day or the next week . Sure you may not win but thats Trap Shooting .

11. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Hind-sight is always 20/20, but I think I would have to look him straight in eyes when it was my time to shoot…PULL , and busted the clouds… and just smile at him……….Grubby

12. senior smoke

Trapboy 1957:
    "Hey eat more fiber... you are getting darn grumpy. I love you bro. Jr

Jr., how ya been? I have been having lots of health issues. Went through a time when I was mad at the world, but now snapping out of it. Realizing, there is always someone who has it worse. "you state we meet the same people on the way up as we do on the way down", how true. My dad use to always tell me that.
    take care,
    steve

Average Ed: I once shot with a guy who blamed me for his two misses because I was smoking the target real well that day, and he said he could not see his target real well due to the smoke????
    steve

13. ABH

ABH Member

Ljutic111

I'm with you. You point a finger at me and raise your voice,I'm willing to bet you'll never do that again to anyone.Piece of crap.

ART H.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm almost ALWAYS the low man on my squad...I shoot with arguably the 4 best singles shooters in the state. Anything less than a 98 is a terrible disapointment for any of them - and for me, its about as good as gets.

I'm glad they let me shoot with them, but I get awful tired of hearing the post changes called 5,5,5,4,5 all the time.

But I guess its better than 5,5,5,3,5 that they call sometimes.

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

No, I've been low man on a 5 man team shoot, but I don't shoot team shoots for that very reason. I'm afraid I might be the one.

16. senior smoke

Bazooka joe:
    Thanks,
    steve

17. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Point a finger... not a bright idea. Point a finger and raise your voice... you better hope to God it's not your trigger finger.

Jeff

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I participate in a couple team events each season and win,loose or draw we NEVER assign blame for the outcome. The reward in these things is never the trophy or whatever the prize may be, the reward is the good times shared by buddies. The finger pointer lost more than the event.

Now if you want to give that jerk the satisfaction of humiliating you that is your deal but I wouldn't. Just find a better class of people to shoot with (and that won't be hard) and get out there and have a blast knowing you are going to be a winner just in the fact that you are not letting an asshole define your value.

emmylou1 thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.