1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Else Noticed a Decrease...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SEC, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC

SEC TS Member

Has anyone else seen a decrease in the participation at their local shooting club?? We have here.

2. SEC

SEC TS Member

Good for you Wally!!

It is good to see that some are doing well. Our members are complaining about the increased cost of shooting...shells, travel, birds, etc.

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Our club has grown quite a bit. We are mostly skeet and SC with one Pat trap field. Without a doubt the sporties have grown our club from about 400 members to 600+ members. We have a great club manager. No leagues though :-(

Recreational participation in skeet and SC are at an all time high.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Four working traps and about that many shooters. Have lost about 30 trap shooting members since 2005.

Rock

Jim

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Lots of new shooters here but this has always been a "hot spot" for shooting.

Our big decrease in number of shooters came in the late seventies. We haven't yet recovered but the SCTP and the influence of great shooting venues we have have generated a great deal of new interest here.

I also have to give the association between the ISTA and Brittany Shooting Park a lot of credit. Although a bit rocky sometime, that combination is a winner.

6. BTC

BTC TS Member

We are having the bedt year the club has ever had. SC's and the introduction to River Skeet has brought alot of new shooters

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Many new shooters don't know components are expensive, they have nothing to refer to. We old farts remember when shot was $7.00 a bag and wads were a penny apiece.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

sec,

How many people that have seldom shot a gun have you brought out to club to shoot in the last year? All you need to double your membership is for each member to recruit one new member.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

At the Smithfield, IL. gun club it looks like we lot about 40%. Our club is 17 miles from anywhere and with the increased of every of everything it's understandable.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

BTC, What is "River Skeet"??

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Down a little, but still pretty good considering gas at almost 3 bucks a gallon an shot at 30 bucks a bag. I think shooters are traveling less due to expenses, but Trap sees to be holding it's own considering. Yes I'm old enough to remember low shot prices. We used to buy cheap shot from Mexico at 6.50 a bag. Practice was a buck and a quater per round, and ATA registered was 6 to 8 bucks per hundred. Inflation has balloned in the cost of shooting lately. Hopfullly it will level off soon.

12. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

When I want to say Shot was so and so and punchcard was this,I look around at the younger members of my club (1500 in all) and know most if not all paid more for a car than my House cost.So I just keep paying 31.00 a bag for shot and keep shooting till I can't afford it any more and what I paid for two sons to go to college could of put a lot of P-Guns in the safe too! Jon

13. trapman69

trapman69 Member

How many clubs out there offer fun days. What I mean by this is most clubs you go to all they have is serious 50 bird style shoots. How about shooting some annies,protection's,meatshoots, 3bird distance shoots. Most younger shooters get very bored with the 50bird style shoots. If a club is going to make it. It has to have a good mix of members young and old. How many times does someone bring there kids and get charged full price. If you cut the parents some slack there apt to shoot a whole lot more. If I'm going to go somewhere that I can't have a good time and shoot the breeze. I would rather just stay home. I'm very lucky where I live here in Mo there's a meat shoot every Sunday. Anyway have a great 4th. TR

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

If you have slack fields, make up a 5 stand sporting clays course. Shooting will pick up. Jake

15. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Yep, our club lost alot of regular shooters, they went off to another club down the road. The focus of our club is the new shooter, they don't know the real cost of shooting on a regular basis yet. Our club charges a 35% markup on ammo, but we are so far out of town that the new shooters pay there instead of Wally World. Our trap range is overseen by RSO's to pull the round and score. A round of trap is just under $6.00, to help offset the cost of labor. We had a good league going, ran by volunteers, but management wanted more of a hands on. Raised the cost, and ended up chasing alot of members off. Too Bad!!

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Not only did the range management raise the cost, luvs2, but canceled several of this year's leagues that were already on the calendar... :(

Ya' gotta' give the customer what he wants, or he'll go elsewhere.

17. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

All clubs are down shooters except the ones who have stopped raising prices on birds . Not many new shooters coming into trapshooting SC are a womens game now in Michigan lots of women shooting SC with K-80s . Maybe because price doesnt bother the professional women Lawyers Dr ect

Pat Kelley

18. LV Trapshooting Park

LV Trapshooting Park TS Member

We have made necessary pricing adjustments as necessary, and are currently hosting the largest Wednesday night summer trap league we have ever had. It's all about offering value, and yes, it is 115 degrees here right now!

Steve Carmichael

Las Vegas Gun Club

19. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Our club in sunny Southern California, has hosted three and a half years of Wednesday night leagues, most with 40 shooters over a 6 week period. Then enjoy a 5 week break to let non-leaguers and game shooters a chance to enjoy shooting at night in 80 degrees. We also host a 5 Stand and a Doubles league, but on Thursday nights, just to let shooters have a variety of nights, or even a chance to go back to back nights. The leagues were managed by a volunteer group who changed the formats each league, from 16 wobble (or not) to team handicap, progressives (wobble or not), and 25 yd wobble (or not)..lots of fun, pot-luck the dinners, it keeps us out of the house and away from the TV!....lb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.