1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone been successful going back to Pull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipking, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

Just a curiosity question. Have any of you ever been successful going back to a pull trigger after going to a release because of flinching. I guess I would also qualify that by saying going back to and staying with a pull trigger. I know several folks myself included who can shoot a round or 2 with a pull trigger while playing with a new toy but then the flinches start to creep back.

--- Chip King ---

2. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Chip king.

Had been shooting a Release pull for 10 years and a Double Release for the last 2 years, cannot pull a trigger any more than 3 times and the dreaded flinch returns, only in the "Gun-Up" position if I try gun Down no problem, go figure.

Release..........

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I had just the opposite happen. I went to a release because it feels so much faster and smooth. I took out the hook for the last two rounds of practice and noticed a bad flinch on at least two birds per round. Figures. I think a psychologist is next. LOL

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I thought I did once but I flinched !!!! I still have to conscentrate with every shot with the release after 15 years or more . I have to have a very tight grip as others don`t ?? Once I loosen up I`m finished .

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Nope,I try and try but no luck the dreaded flinch returns.Jerry

6. SBray

SBray Active Member

Yes,

But it took months before I didn't have to concentrate before getting ready to shoot. I would still be shooting a release if all I shot was trap, but with five stand, sporting clays, and skeet, a pull trigger seems to work better for me.

JMHO,

Steve

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I shoot with a fellow who not only goes back and forth between pull and release, but he also had to convert from right handed to left handed shooting, due to a rotator cuff injury. He discovered a flinch with his left hand release shooting, so tried shooting a pull trigger, and it worked! Once he gets a trap or two done, the flinch reappears, and he goes back to the release. I don't know how he can do it, but it works for him. I guess he is proof that trap is mostly a mental game.

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Yes I went from release back to pull.

jim brown

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I wonder what the percentage of release shooters are to pull trigger shooters there are .......in American trap.

10. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

In my opinion I believe anyone that can successfully return to Pull from release, never needed a Release in the first place (JMHO).

I know in my case without the benefit of a Release I would be out of this sport approx 12 years ago.

Release....................

11. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Release, I agreee with you 100%. If I hadn't gone to a release I would have had to quit shooting trap in the mid 70s. I tried release-pull for doubles, but that only lasted for a few hundred and then I had to go to double release. Every now and then when practicing, I will try a pull again but always tell everyone to watch for a good laugh. I just can't pull the trigger almost always. However, flinching doesn't enter the picture when hunting as I can pump the mod 12 and pull the trigger without flinching. The same is true for target shooting or hunting with a rifle or handgun. Allen Timney told me I had a psychological flinch. Larry Evans

12. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

When I had to come up with a handle for this forum it was a no-brainer. Thing is it just started about a year ago but when it started it came with a vengeance. No more pull on the Trap line, can't do it. I can shoot everything else with a pull though. Go figure. Mark.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

"Flinch" sits upon my shoulder... Ever and always shaking his index finger at me

14. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I tried in '94 when I bought a new gun and again last year when I bought another new one. Thought I could go back and save having double releases installed plus I always preferred to pull. Lasted about 75 targets in '94 and last year I made it though 5 before "the F word" returned. Wish I could go back, but it appears highly unrealistic!

15. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I took the BEST ADVICE I ever got on this topic:
    "If you're shooting 95+ consistently...you can't afford to drop a single target due to a flinch. Get a quality release, take a case of shells, learn to shoot it and NEVER LOOK BACK.." Frank Little
    I have never looked back. See no reason to. On the other hand, my buddy kept trying to "go back"...blew an entire target year.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I just tried a release, what a disaster LOL. I could shoot about 5 and then I would set the trigger and release it at the same time, just couldnt get it. Going to see Roger Eubanks today to convert back to pull

17. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

I just had a roller release put in my K-80 for the EXACT REASON Don Steele mentions. This is a game of one bird. One bird can make you or break you. Was breaking 98/100 last summer consistently, then along came a flinch. Scores dropped to 92-95/100 primarily due to fear of the unkown, so your confidence suffers and you shoot too fast and miss a couple more. I was not going to spend years trying to solve the flinch. Went straight to the release. Only put 7 rounds through it so far (in the past week), but the confidence is coming back fast. Expect to get back to the 98 range very quickly.

18. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Why would you want to?

19. rrose

rrose TS Member

I was able to go back to pull after shooting release for a few years. I have to hold on the top of trap house like a one eye shooter even though I shoot with both. I still like a release better but can not get a release for my Cynergy. My scores did not go down and I do not flinch as long as I hold on the trap house. Good luck
    randy

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

cubancigar, what you've described is quite common. If you're flinching badly with a pull it's not gonna go away. Two possible corrections are to increase set pressure substantially if possible or set the trigger with the action open-then close-sometimes both. Good luck!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

has anyone been succesful at going back to drinking