1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anybody read this book?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

"An Insight into Sports, featuring Trap" by Dr. Wayne F. Martin. Is this a good book for an intermediate-level shooter?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's pretty good. There was a spate of belief that eye doctors had some magic insight into "sports vision" and at the Grand I remember someone selling that book and the honeycomb glasses that apparently went with it though that whole idea had been discredited decades before.

I even went to one of the practitioners and paid several hundred dollars to find out that practice improves performance at least when you are moving your arms and following a target and that's at least something and I really think so. Even now I say to myself, as a result of that experience, before I call for a bird, "LOCK YOUR EYES ON THE TARGET!" though half the time I forget it anyway.

Get the book. It's something you should know about and will probably get you more targets in your career than the same amount of money spent on a round of targets and shells.

Neil

3. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Dr Martian had his office just outside of Seattle in Lake City. There were a few locals here that I knew went to him including my wife and me. Everyone that was a shooter had to read his book before you could get your RX for your new shooting glasses; all he sold was the old style aviator glasses to shoot in.

He didn't have any special glasses he was selling but he had some basic solid ideas that did seem to help. Now that being said the RX he gave others and myself was to give you optimum vision at 40 yards. With my shooting glasses on I couldn't find my gun in the gun rack. I went back to my normal eye DR and had to get the RX changed back to were it was in the past.

Jim R

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Can't be any worse than "Trap Shooting Secrets".

5. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Do any of you by chance have a used copy to sell? Seems like the book is worth looking into.

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Available through Amazon for $4.01 and probably worth every nickle.

He also repd. Bud Decot when my grandson needed glasses several years ago.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The first 9 chapters tell you how wonderful your life will be when you read Chapter 10. The author evidently had an interview with Dan Bonillas and learned something about focusing in "The Target Breaking Area" but he must have missed the part about the importance of Soft Focus during the Set Up routine. IMHO

8. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Big Heap, thanks for the link--I ordered the book after reading posters' feedback. I think that if I get one good tip out of the book, I'll be ahead.

9. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Zardozforty, that's quite the recommendation!

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Another book that should be on your list to read is "The Inner Game of Tennis"
    I know....doesn't sound like it applies to trap but believe me once you read it you'll be amazed how similar the mind set is. Scores and confidence went up immediately.
    It'll help you get over the "how the hell did I miss that target voice in your head" Not sure what it'll do for the other voices...LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.