1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvard Study On Guns and Crime

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rich's Mom, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich's Mom

Rich's Mom TS Member

http://tinyurl.com/yobqcz

Check this out...

2. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

OK, I'll bite,

Here's the bottom line, at least on the subject of suicide rates and gun ownership, from the 2nd full paragraph on page 43 of the document:

"There is simply no relationship evident between the extent of suicide and the extent of gun ownership. People do not commit suicide because they have guns available. In the absence of firearms, people who are inclined to commit suicide kill themselves some other way."

3. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

Not completely hooked on the 1st bite,

On the subject of gun possession's impact on overall violence, the bottom line comes from page 37, 2nd paragraph of the document:

"In sum, the data for the decades since the end of World War II also fails to bear out the more guns equal more death mantra. The per capita accumulated stock of guns has increased, yet there has been no correspondingly consistent increase in
    either total violence or gun violence. The evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that gun possession levels have little impact on violence rates."

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

MIA thank you. I for one just want the cliff notes.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

This ought to be required reading in all college sociology clases.

I encourage you all to read this. It is extremely good reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.