1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Harley Value ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by amboy49, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Ok, so to make this pertain to trapshooting, let's say I want to get a Harley to ride to trapshoots in order to save gas !

So, as if I needed another hobby since skeet/trap/sporting clays isn't enough along with collector cars and out of state hunting trips -

I'm looking at a 1998 Harley Davidson Fat Boy. 13,500 miles. Pretty much all stock but with quite a few added chrome parts. Stock bike with removable windshield.

Anyone have an idea what this bike may be worth or where I can go to get a value ?

Thanks in advance.

2. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

look on ebay. you might get an idea there.all the extra chrome is nice{i probably have 3 grand in extra chrome on my 04 heritage} but my 04 heritage is just that,an 04 heritage. chrome looks nice but don,t expect to get your money out of it if you sell or trade the bike. dwain

3. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

CycleTrader.com may also have a similar model listed for sale to use as a comparison. 1998 was the last year for the Evolution engines so you'd be getting a bike with a discontinued motor. From 1999 on Harley used the Twin Cam motors. John

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Buy a Gold Wing. You will be screwed by yuppie BS if you think a Harley is a good investment.

The Bottom is falling out of the Harley market as we speak, and the economic times seem to say it's over.

Your question re value: Less than you would want in the next couple years.

I would buy a single cylinder good size bike if I was looking for economy.

HM

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Go to craigs list for your area. It will give you quite a bit of info on what bikes are going for in your area. There are a lot of bikes for sale now and good deals are out there. Be patient and know what you want.

6. Juno

Juno TS Member

1998 HARLEY-DAVIDSON Road/Street FLSTF FAT BOY ANNIVERSARY

October 14, 2008
    Motorcycle/ATVs
    Model: FLSTF FAT BOY ANNIVERSARY
    Piston Displacement (CCs): 1340
    Stroke: 4
    Cylinders: 2

Speeds: 5
    Dry Weight: 631

print this page
    email a friend

e-mail a FriendClose X

Friend's e-mail: (eg. user@domain.com)
    Your e-mail: (eg. user@domain.com)
    Your Name:

Subject:
    Comments:
    I would like a copy of this message emailed to me.

NADA Guides Privacy Policy
    Email addresses are used for this request only and are not saved or used by NADAguides.com for any other purposes
    Privacy Policy

Finance Quote

Apply for a loan now

Insurance Quote
    Free Insurance Quote

Know your Credit History
    Free Credit Report & Score

PRICING

Low Retail Average Retail
    Base Price
    $7,745 $9,010
    Options
    Fairing-Windshield Only $50 $53
    TOTAL PRICE $7,795 $9,063

Suggested List: $15,495

Notes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree with the theory that Harley is going down the tube in value. Everything is going down right now. I have owned Gold Wings ( and many other Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki) bikes over the years. 5 years ago I switched to a Harley. Best thing I ever did. I would nor go back. The Gold Wing has a poor retention of resale value as well as all the Jap bikes. They are no different than buying a new car and losing 25 -30% immediately. I am not trashing the jap bikes as they are well designed and very reliable but just not as much fun. I used to ride the Gold Wing on long trips and was bored after 500 miles. I now enjoy 5,000 - 10,000 mile jaunts and have never tired on the Harley. I feel the value of the bike in question at this time in our lives is around $10,000 if it is clean, well equipped with chrome and well maintained. Maintanance is the key to resale. A lot of chrome and aftermarket extras may not add a lot of value but sit two beside each other and one with and one without and see which one sells quickly. Dont lett anyone talk you out of a Harley until you ride one. I will admit though that a Jap bike for commuting to work may be the better choice but not for hobby or fun. Sorry Halfmile but I think you are on crack today

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i forgot to mention this also.i live in iowa. it will be getting cold & snowy here before long. with the economy the way it is & the holidays coming up, you might be able to find what you are looking for very reasonable in "cold & snowy country."everywhere i travel to,there are campers, cars motorcycles etc etc for sale in every other yard or on every corner. my friend runs the 18th largest harley dealership in terms of sales in the country. in the last 30 days ,it has went from walking into a harley dealership with nothing down & driving out the harley of your choice to 20% down & very good credit rating to be considered for buying. dwain

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Spending 10 to 12,000 for a motorcycle to save GAS is dumb. Harley don't get any better gas mileage the a small car. Buy the Motorcycle because you want it not for a gas saving. I had many motorcycle in my time. I race a few and had custom one's. Not one was for gas saving. I have 3 now and don't ride one to work. I use then for me. To have fun with. That what they are for.
    Get the Harley take a ride meet new friends. See the back country roads, feel the wide open freedom of the motorcycle. Not a gas saver.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

cuban',

You're a bit wrong ont he value of an 11 year old evo powered hd. In my neck of the woods $10K is where the Ultra Glides are selling for with an evo engine.

The buying public is well educated on the fact that the evo engine was a big step forward for hd, but with only 50hp on tap a midsized scooter will out perform one.

amboy49,

From an investment stand point, I'd stay away from an evo powered hd. The value will consistantly drop harder than the bikes with the newer twin cam engine. The other plus about the newer engine is the fact of smoothness. An evo engine is anything but smooth!

If you like the bike and can buy it for a very good price, then buy it. It's a buyers market right now. Every motorcycle dealer in the country side is setting on a lot of inventory right now. They are dealing like crazy just to get rid of it so the floor plan doesn't eat them alive.

ec90t

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My 2002 Heritage with 103" kit, cam pistons still gets 39 - 40 miles per. My stock Ultra gets 45 per

12. DB3006

DB3006 Member

All he wanted to know is what it is worth. $8,500 is about the max.

DB3006

13. DJM

DJM Member

I'd have to check your math to believe you will save any money by purchasing a motorcycle. If owning a motorbike would allow one to get rid of the car there may be a chance. But with rain & cold weather very few bikers eliminate the need for a car/truck.

14. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

$6500 is what you should offer. There are a ton of them to choose from. Times are changing, and people are willing to take a lot less. Look around. In the long run, the money you spend on a bike today would not be recouped in gas savings. Might be better to buy a brand new gas hog truck or SUV at a substancial savings and live comfortably.

15. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i've had several motorcyles and would have one now if there were no automobiles in my town. if you ride in the city long enough you will be zapped by a car. (they are out to get you)

16. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Once a Harley gets 10 years old (or older), then the value of the bike is all about condition and finding the right buyer. It has very low mileage for a 1998 model. I don't know if the tires have been replaced, the battery, etc, etc, etc. Of course, the economy has a lot to do with it right now too.

If the bike is real clean and you want it, then I'd offer him about $6,500 to $7,000 for it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Easystreet

17. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Okay, you caught me. The pretense of buying a bike to effect better gas mileage and a cost savings was just as defined by one of the replys, a "ruse." I couldn't begin to carry all my shooting stuff on a bike - I can hardly get all the stuff in the mini-van i recently purchased to drive to local and distant shoots.

I recently sold a classic car and now have some money burning a hole in my pocket. There's a local '98 Fatboy for sale with 13,500 miles on it - two owner. Supposedly has a lot of Harley chrome and the pics show the bike looks good. The bike was on eBay and had one bid for $9K - which later turned out that the bidder didn't close the transaction. Perhaps buyers remorse and he backed out.

Good points all re: value/condition/market, etc. It would be my guess that the market will continue to get "softer" for this non-essential item.

I think I will bide my time and see what the market for type this luxury item does -

Again, thanks all for the replies - a lot of good information. Always great to know that I can learn from others with more experience than me.

Noel

18. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

It is amasing how many Harley experts there are on here. I wonder how many of them ever seen a Harley or owned one? All the BS is just that , BS. Oil leaks , down the tubes , loosing value? Get a life and let the guys that know what they are talking about give constructive advise. Leave your asian comments to yourself

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

amboy49,

The best time to buy a non-essential is right after Christmas. People start unloading things cheap so they can pay for all their holiday purchases.

ec90t

20. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Trpshtr2001,

I've owned 6 Harleys and a couple foreign made bikes too. I think that qualifies me to give an opinion.

Easystreet