1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Harley Davidson Leaving Milwaukee??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GoldEx, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Talk of the company relocating to another state in the next two months. Would love to see them move to Arizona after the crap that got started by Milwaukee boycotting AZ because of their immigration law.

One can only hope.

Jeff

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'd personally like to see them move production to China. They seem to make all the Genuine Harley-Davidson accessories there already.

ss

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It would be a shame if they moved from Milwaukee. A lot of history will leave with the company if that happens.

Is it a union labor cost issue?

No shorty, we don't want them to move to China.

4. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Labor cost and inflexible union contracts is what I heard?? Ditto to setterman on the china thing.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Well they aren't the only rec vehicle manufacturer leaving the U.S.

Polaris is moving it's operations from Osceola, Wisconsin to Mexico. Si habla Espanol? That's spanish for "my f##king Polaris atv is for sale."

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

NEW YORK -- "Harley-Davidson Inc. is considering sites in four states for a possible relocation of its main motorcycle plant in Pennsylvania, a company spokesman said Friday. Company and union officials toured locations in Murfreesboro, Tenn., Shelbyville, Ind., Shelbyville, Ky., and Kansas City, Mo., over the last week as the company assesses a possible move, Bob Klein said. No other locations are being considered, he added.
    Milwaukee-based Harley-Davidson announced in May it was exploring a relocation of its motorcycle assembly facility in York, Pa., which employs 2,300 people. Though the company's preferred path is to stay in York, Klein said, the factory is inefficient and has too much capacity. A decision is expected later this year.

Pennsylvania officials are fighting to keep the plant in York. Earlier this month, Gov. Ed Rendell said the state was developing an economic package that includes job training and infrastructure, low-interest loans and $15 million for plant upgrades to induce Harley to stay.

The plant opened in 1973, but some of the buildings date to World War II. In addition, the large number of job classifications in the union contract makes it difficult to shift workers into different duties, the company has said. Klein said if the company does decide to relocate the plant, the new facility would likely have a "smaller work force and a smaller footprint."

The York facility is Harley's largest motorcycle factory and makes its Touring and Softail models, as well as some custom models. Workers there approved a new contract in 2007 after a two-week strike.

A relocation to Kansas City could be a convenient move for Harley. The city already has a Harley plant, which makes the Sportster, V-Rod and Dyna motorcycles and opened in 1998. It also has a vacant property next to the facility.

The possible move is part of a broad cost-cutting plan that Harley, the top maker of heavyweight motorcycles, launched in January. The company has been battling shrinking profits and a downturn in sales of its iconic bikes. Last month, the company reported a 91 percent plunge in its second-quarter profit and announced plans to cut another 1,000 employees."

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Which of the Polaris products are made in Osceola? I was at the Roseau, MN plant a few years back and they made a lot of ATV's there.

ss

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Sadly, Harley is just another company that didn't progress. They keep making that crappy 45 degree engine which performs very poorly for its displacement and shakes so badly that seeing through your mirrors at idle is difficult. Their engines are still not stressed members, and they have to isolate the motor so severely to keep the shake from inflicting too much damage on the rider.

Only recently, did they go to fuel injection, for Pete's sake.

I don't know how Harley is going to compete when its ridership keeps greying, and the defense of the stagnant engineering is met with "if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

Whatever, buddy. An EFI multi-cam inline 4 will continue to be more appealing to real riders.

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

"Polaris Moving Wisconsin Operation To Mexico

Manufacturing.Net - May 21, 2010

OSCEOLA, Wis. (AP) -- Polaris Industries Inc. says it will shut down its parts plant in the western Wisconsin city of Osceola.
    The Medina, Minn.-based maker of snowmobiles, ATVs and Victory motorcycles says it's moving many of the operations to a new facility in the Monterrey-Saltillo area of Mexico.
    Polaris will continue to make snowmobiles in Roseau (ROH'-zoh), Minn., and motorcycles in Spirit Lake, Iowa. Some operations will be moved to Roseau and Spirit Lake.
    Polaris also says it's negotiating to sell some of its parts manufacturing processes and equipment in Osceola to suppliers who'd continue making components there.
    Spokeswoman Marlys Knutson says the plant currently employs 515 people, who will be allowed to apply for jobs at the other Polaris facilities or with companies that continue producing parts in Osceola. "

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I am so relieved to learn the smokey357 one isn't a Harley fan.

Guy B.

11. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Sadly, I see that you are, Guy. The Harley mentality has not well served the company, and if Trap keeps the same attitudes, it, too, will keep declining.

12. Setterman

Guy, I think that has been obvious.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That 45 degree engine in 750 has proven damn near unbeatable on the halfmile and mile dirt tracks across the country.

Just lately we see other brands getting back into the game. Honda had a winner but decided to go road racing years ago. Suzuki, Ducati, and Aprilia V twins are being used.

When Ricky Graham had his record setting year, he did it with a Honda with special crank that Johnny Goad wheedled out of Honda Racing. There were 3 such cranks buried in the back corners of the warehouse. These cranks were built to give the uneven firing impulses just like the XR's, long proven to give superior traction in dirt track corners. I suspect Bubba and Ted Boody along with Terry Poovey used them.

I am not a Harley lover but Willie G. did worlds of good for motorcycles in general with the revitalization of H-D. The owners for the most part would never switch despite all of the expert opinions related above. I do, however know many Gold Wing and other brand riders who went to H-D and are staying.

I am sure the vagaries of various configuration of V twin engines can be found on the net somewhere.

My personal favorite (never had one) were The Vincents.

HM

HM

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What HM says is true. I've always heard that the engine mimics the gallop of a horse being that both piston rods are on the same journal. Maybe BS, but some people swear by it.

By todays standards, it's a weird and outdated design...but the evolution motor has proven to be solid and reliable. They sure sound cool!

15. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

A Wing is one of the finest pieces of motorcycle engineering ever made or conceived. They outperform and hold their resale value better than Harleys, plus, they're made in Ohio, the home of Trap. If new technology is discovered, Honda implements it.

I have never seen anyone get off a Wing and onto a Harley, and I've only once seen a Wing on a Harley floor. It was a Mid 90's specimen. The Wings, Bimmers and FJR's compete with each other, as the riding experience of a Harley cannot compare to being on even a Mid 80's K100.

Harley needs to make some big changes to get out of this hole.

I liked a few Buells, and I like the new KR1200, but I don't know why Harley gets such low performance out of such huge displacement.

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Some will never get it. My banner says it all--at least to we who appreciate.

Guy

[​IMG]

17. Setterman

No Harley dealer in his right mind would put a traded Goldwing in his showroom.
    I know of 3 members in our club that were Honda/Suzuki riders that now ride Harleys.

Owned one for 37 years. #14 is a Street Glide. They are a recreational vehicle. In these economic times, I would expect sales to plummit. Look at Corvettes. Their resale numbers suck too.

357, have you ever owned a Harley?

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

It's all economics..states are offering low interest loans and tax breaks for companies to relocate into their area. We had a furniture manufacturer get a ten year tax releif to relocate into NW Penna. The ten years are up and they are moving to another give-away state. Who has the most to give?

Big Jack

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Milwaukee has become a city of strip malls and hospitals. For those of us who lived here in the 50's and 60's it is sad to see what has happened.
    Steve Balistreri

20. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Hey halfmile...how about that Ducati winning the mile race at Arizona? I love the H-D flattrackers, but I'm happy to see some other brands back in the game.

Smoking...comparing H-D's to FJR's,Connies,K model BMW's,Gold Wings etc is comparing apples to oranges. I'm not an H-D road bike fan (a Wee-Strom hauls my fat butt around nicely, thank you), but try having a final drive repaired on that Bimmer...they break...a lot. On the earlier Gold Wings, alternator failures resulted in an engine teardown. Engine heat is a problem with FJR's...and on and on.

I agree that the H-D demographic is aging, and I hate the way the Motor Company kicked Buell to the curb; but for their purpose, the H-D cruisers aren't a bad motorcycle. I just don't look good dressed up like a pirate riding around revving my engine so every body can hear my awesome pipes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

andy tresser

andy tresser ducati