1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Harlen Campbell worth it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Huntin'Fool, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

I have the opportunity to attend a Harlen Cambell clinic, is it worth it to attend? I am a decent shooter but no novice.

Thoughts would be appreciated and anyone that has attended would be great to hear feedback from them as well

Thank you in advance.

2. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Harlen's clinics are very good and informative, lots of classroom time. Harlen takes time to work with each student to insure gun fit and works with you at the pattern board. With that being said, he is in favor of level gun and eyes so if you're a one eyed shooter (tape on glasses) you won't get much information.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The clinic would be very well suited to you, skill wise

4. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Harlan's class is two full eight hour days. Only five or six students in each class. He, obviously, is very knowledgeable, is easily understood and make his points in a clear, concise manner.I took his class two years ago and will be taking it again this fall. You won't be wasting your money if you can put into use what he teaches.

Pat

5. THALL

THALL Member

Yes! Tim Hall

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

How does tape on your glasses make you a one eyed shooter? All this time i've been using a dot two be a two eyed shooter.

7. windyflat

windyflat Member

Yes... I'd be going again this year if it didn't clash with our league shootoff at my home club..

Gonna try a clinic with Kay before the colonial classic.

I learned a ton from Harlan..

Tom Tucker

8. monroesc

monroesc Member

Yes. I have taken it twice and I am a one eyed shooter. Gun fit was so important and Harlan is very knowledgeable about that. The first time was a bit overwhelming but the second time things really made sense. I would highly recommend!!

Sara Dean

9. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

I'm a one eyed shooter

10. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I took his clinic in late summer two years ago. Since then, i have won more events and been more consistent. While it's not only about winning, his techniques are excellent things to consider, and I incorporated many.

Two other fellas from my club attended the same session. One argued incessantly with Harlan -- you know the type (shooting 30+ years, knows everything, all K gun better than all, curmudgeon, etc.); the other took meticulous notes and asked tons of questions -- but when he tried the techniques out, he said they did not work for him and that he preferred them his way! To sum it up, one guys scores stayed the same, the others got worse.

I'll attend his refresher the next time Harlan comes around. Best $300 I spent on trapshooting.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Let's examine the question from a different perspective:

If you were a golfer looking to improve your game, would you wonder if a day or two of personal 1-on-1 coaching by Jack Nicklaus was worth the price of a decent driver?

If you were a baseball player looking to improve your game, would you wonder if a day or two of personal 1-on-1 coaching by Albert Pujols was worth the price of a good aluminum baseball bat?

Name one other sport on planet earth where you can pay a few hundred dollars and get 16 hours of live teaching, and lots of personal 1-on-1 attention, from the person who is arguably the current top competitor in that sport. That's exactly what you're getting from Harlan Campbell Jr. or Leo Harrison III -- all for the cost of a few flats of shells. And you're wondering if it's worth it.

Think about it.

-Gary

12. gasman43

gasman43 Member

I took Harlan's class last year at Otter Creek. I invited Harlan to our trap club, Flathead Valley Clay Target Club in Kalispell, MT. In November, 14 traps hooters took his 2 day course. Everyone expressed satisfaction and no one was unhappy with the course, but disappointed when they couldn't get in. If you practice what he teaches and don't go back to your old habits, your scores will increase. Harlan will be returning to our club on June 26 for a one day class on just doubles, and will also provide two 2 day classes on June 27 & 28 and June 29 & 30 for singles, handicap and doubles. Cost for the one day class is $185.00 and $350.00 for the 2 day classes. As of today we have 3 openings in each class. If interested either email me or call (406) 863-9866
    Tafford Oltz

13. KOKA

KOKA TS Member

VERY VERY well worth it I participated in a clinic at The Ben Avery Shooting Facility in Febuary I will be taking another one its your choice to shoot better he can definitly give you the knowledge to do that. be prepared to take notes and go with a positive attitude.

14. Shawn

Shawn Member

There are instructors that will try to teach you to shoot their style.

There are instructors that will help you improve your existing style.

Before you choose an instructor decide if you want to learn a new style or improve what you are doing.

Shawn

15. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Harlan is a class act and his knowledge and patience along with his ability to convey his expertise makes him a very good choice as an instructor.One thing that really impressed me is that even though he probably has won as many or more titles then most,he doesn't brag on it and even once told me that the only difference between me (and others like me) was that he was more "polished".Unlike another instructor (I wont mention his name) that did nothing but dote on himself and his shooting record.If your a one eyed shooter though I would strongly recommend Nora Ross's clinic.That little girl works her butt off and offers a whirlwind of information.I took both Harlans and Nora's class and walked away with a wealth of information from both.

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have not taken a class from Harlen but would like to. I've taken classes from Leo and Nora, both were excellent but for a one eyed shooter you just can't beat Nora, she's give a great class and is a fantastic teacher.

17. clydep

clydep Member

H'Fool; Unless you are AAA,27,AAA carrying a 95%+ average in handicap you can benefit from ANY of the clinics offered today. JMO..Clydep

18. himejim

himejim Member

I took a class from Frank Hoppe, Ricky Marshall, Phil Kiner, Nora Ross and Harlan. As you can tell I am open to get feedback and I look at each as an opportunity to get just one idea (stance, fit, eye hold, etc.).

That said, I liked attending all of them. However, if you asked me to put in order the value I received I would put the value of Harlan's last. He really seems to want to change you to what works for him. I tried and was unable to adapt my style to align with his approach. So, if his style works for you, then great. If not, it can frustrate you and maybe hurt you game for some time.

All of the others seemed to want to help you enhance your style rather than learn a new style. So it depends on what you are looking for......

19. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I have helped Harlan put together classes for over 10 years now and have never had someone go away and say their money was not well spent. He is a teacher first and a shooter second. GUN FIT STRESSED, breaking the target when you are ready is also stressed anb by that he will have your POI where it needs to be to break the target where you break it. I have filled 2 of his classes this spring and have people calling to see if I can get a third going.

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I have taken Nora's class in the past, and want to take it again.
    But, I can find no schedule for her, and no contact information.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.