1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Harlan Campbell is a class act

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by colobiggun, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Rumor is circulating that Harlan was offered to replace the suspended contestant in the $100k shootoff since he was the runner-up in that event, and he turned it down, allowing Tim Reed to be in it. If this is true, I am even a bigger Harlan Campbell fan than I used to be, knowing Harlan would turn down a chance at that much money to keep his stellar reputation intact and not wanting to be accused of coming in the back door. My hat is off to you Harlan!! You show there is more to being a champion than just the money and fame!!

Jay Beaman

2. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Ditto. J.Woolsey

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I once parked next to him at a shoot!!!!........Uncle Sam, Pa.

4. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I would vote for Harlan for ATA President!

TNCoach

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I parked next to him behind the dealer buildings one evening (2006) and returned to my car to leave after a shootoff. Harlan was in the shootoff and putting his gun etc. in the truck. As I started to back up he stopped what he was doing and stepped back to be sure no traffic was coming behind me.

Not many folks would even think about doing that..

FRedmon

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

If true, it's too bad. The sad part is that there are some out there that probably would say things behind his back if he ended up qualifying this way and then won; but that is more a statement that some trapshooters are very narrow-minded.

That is a lot of cash to take a pass on, when in reality he is more deserving than anyone else remaining from that qualifying event.

I would really hope that he doesn't turn this down.

7. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

A true gentleman and sportsman and a real hero! I have always admired Harlan for his values. I have no doubt that he knew all along that giving up this spot was not the end of that $100k but rather the motivation to shoot his way in the challenge as he would want it to be that way.

J.F.

8. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Harlan was among the first to congratulate me for completing my Grand Slam at the WI. State shoot on July 18th 2008, 10:45 AM. I will never forget that....

Dick Gries

9. butcher

butcher Member

Wow!Something positive on this thread. That's great, lets hope it catches on.

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Use to shoot prelim days w/ Harlan, back in the days of Vandalia. W/o a doubt a class act. Doesn't surprise me that he didn't want to back in. Don't bet against him shooting his way in. Savin' it for the big one on Sat.

11. Tbonz411

Tbonz411 TS Member

I agree Harlan is top shelf! I've attended several of his clinic and he is as everyone has described.

12. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I would vote for Harlan for US President!

bluedsteel

13. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

With the countless clinics and a lifetime dedicated to this sport and its participants, this might very well go down as the greatest lesson taught. I hope everyone can take the time and point out the significance of this selfless act. With so many of todays athletes worried about "me first" and "show me the money" attitudes, it is a refreshing reminder of how life was meant to be lived and shared. Thank you Harlan and the Martins'!! Hopefully this Grand will be remembered not for what was won or lost, but for what was GIVEN!!!

Jay and Janessa Beaman

14. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

colobiggun...........nicely stated. Rob G.

15. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

The man has principal, what a refreshing thing to witness. What a selfless and gracefull act. This is the stuff legends are made of. What a fine example for young and old alike.

I for one hope he makes the shoot off. If not, I'm guessing he will.

I have a short, and personal list of great men that I've met or have known, Harlan goes on the list.

16. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

hey Harlan the Eagle still flys high in "Beer Camp", you are the first class champ. BK

17. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

Bought his video recently and its has some very helpful tips.

18. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

The man is a true Gentleman and has a set a values rarely seen these days. He is without a doubt a real Champion in so many ways other than his amazing shooting ability.

Terry Jordan.

19. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I am sure Harlan is a gentleman, but I thought it was a bad move on his part not to play by the rules. He should have been in the shoot off because of stupid mistakes by others of which he had no control of. He earned his position and should have competed.

And, what does it say about the guy that took his place?.....Is he a bad guy now? Is he not a gentleman?....Should have all the guys in line rejected the offer?.... Not hardly!

Harlan knew the rules and earned his position. He should have been one of the final shoot off contestants.

Mark Rounds

20. BAP

BAP TS Member

Harlan, Truly is a class act. He wanted them to draw a second person from the general pool but that apparently didn't happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.