1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Harlan Cambell Broke 989X1000 at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fly, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fly

fly Active Member

if they score at the grand like they did at the Wisconsin state shoot, I'm surprised that he didn't have a 700 x 700. I'm new to Registered Trap, but not to Registered Sporting or Skeet, and what went on during the doubles was shocking.

2. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Try 989X1000. And he really sucked in the Prelim HOA, 990X1000...where he took 3rd.

3. racer

racer TS Member

Fly-please elaborate on your initial statement. Dan

4. fly

fly Active Member

broken target = X, and there was a lot of stoppages of the shooting to discuss what appeared to be for score. i was with shooters who shot registered trap for 30+ years, and they were in awe as well.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm still impressed with Mike Westjohn's 897x900 singles run.

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Fly, I must be a simple man. I have no idea what you are trying to say, please rephase your words. What does "stoppages of the shooting to discuss what appeared to be for score" mean ?? What went on in the doubles, according to you, pray tell.

Are you accusing someone of cheating ? If so use your real name to add credibility.

Tom Strunk

7. fly

fly Active Member

My name is Phil Plesetz if you need that to make this more or less credible. You really needed to be there, but maybe some other spectators will chime in. I can honestly say I don't know what happened during that event, but to us it looked like a 95, but the score posted was 98. as they say in the NFL, "you make the call"

8. Tom Strunk

OK Phil, now I see what you are trying to say.

No I wasn't there this year, my wife passed away a few weeks back, or I would have been. I have been there twice in the past four years so I understand where you had to be in relation to the 16 yard line where doubles are shot. I recollect the distance from the walkway or bench to the 16 yard line to be approximately 50 yards.

Don't you think that from that distance you might have missed a small piece? The squad mates and scorer would be 50 yards closer than you, for a much better look. It's a shame you came on this site to imply that one of the most respected men in trapshooting was cheating. I wish you would have thought about this before you made your comments. To late now.

Tom Strunk

9. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Harland Cambell would not knowingly take a target he did not break. I do not particularly care for the man but I know he would not accept a target he did not break let alone three.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There's a fine line between cheating and actually believing you couldn't have missed the target and the score keeper saw a piece not visible to the shooter. To say "top dogs" always refuse to accept missed targets as broken is a fallacy!!

11. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

Fly, For a guy that can't see them from the 16 yardline to shoot a good score....you must have really good eyes from back at the spectator area!!! you should shoot from back there you may be able to hit them.

12. Tom Strunk

Oleolliedawg -

I have no idea who you are refering to, but that has never been the case from my 33 years of experience.

I have shot with Dan Bonillas a dozen times and he at one time would not let me or my son call a target dead that we both saw a piece off of the target. I have taken targets away from myself when nothing was said by the puller. I just stop the squad when it becomes my turn to shoot and ask if anyone saw a piece, if not, it's lost.

I have shot with most of the big guns at one time or another and have never, and I mean NEVER, seen any of the top shooters accept a target that there was any question on.

Tom Strunk

13. oleolliedawg

Tom, I beg to differ. Reminds me of the time in the early 90's in MD. Seems like a squad of the very best shooters the ATA had to offer weren't doing very well. My former All-American son and I watched that squad miss quite a few targets. Surprisingly, the ATA President at the time, and squad leader, personally carried the scoresheet into the office and voila-the scoring suddenly improved significantly on the official scoreboard. I rest my case!!

Note, checking back in my records the individual in question was likely the VP at the time!!

14. oleolliedawg

Oops, maybe I shouldn't rest my case so soon. Many of us remember one of the ATA All-Americans in the 70's who aquired the name "Charlie Chip". His 6'6" presence intimidated many a young girl puller when he turned around after missing, glared and yelled "I broke a chip out of that one". I was never taught to speak ill of the dead, therefore I will not mention his last name!!

15. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

But you sure don't mind stirring the pot a little. Why didn't you say something to the guy when this was going on instead of bringing it up forty years later.
    Travis Crist

16. oleolliedawg

I got news for you Travis. I had plenty of company who left him know about his antics. Between events we were busy fighting over some good money pool games. You had to actually put the balls into the pockets and much harder to cheat!!

17. RICKYT

RICKYT TS Member

Pete I really wish you had actually seen for yourself what was going on before you make an accusation like that. I am the Wisconsin Delegate and I was there. By the way, it was Harlan that saw me close by and asked if I would watch the targets and help get the scoring correct. He asked because of the problems the squad before was having. It does not seem likely that he would have done that if his intentions were other than honorable. There was never a question about any of Harlans targets.
    Rick Tesker
    Wisconsin ATA Delegate

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I wish this kind of thing was not allowed on ts.com. It doesn't do anyone any good and puts the owner at risk of a libel suit. It has happened on other discussion groups check yourself.

19. Tom Strunk

I've alway believed this was a game of honor and integrity. I will not associate with anyone that isn't the same. We have to police our own to weed out the few bad apples out there. Although I believe they are very few.

Tom Strunk

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Harlan last year at the Grand who would have moved up as next eligible shooter from the handicap that was won by the youngster who
    who was expelled; and would have been a participant in the $100,000 shootoff? He refused because he didn't feel it was fair since he didn't win the
    handicap.

That seems like honor and integrity to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.