1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardwood Flooring

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Robb, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

The wife says carpet has to go and wants hardwood floor. I want to use the good stuff. I am told that Bellawood is some of the best. Any tips or opinions?

2. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Laying it yourself??
    From the point of view of adding value to the house, hardwood, not laminate is the way to go. Any of the prefinished hardwoods do well. I put down "Bruce" prefinished about 20 years ago and it has held up quite well

3. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Very good for high traffic areas. Also wood is very bright, noise wise, and high maintenance.

Dave

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Bently998 pegged it, solid hardwood can be re-finished, i.e. resanded & refinished--laminates not usually, veneer is too thin. Just be sure to keep it (spread out) where you're going to lay it for a couple weeks before you nail it down to get it "climate-tized" (sp). Ross Puls

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Robb, use a good vapor barrior and install the floating floor so it can be changed out when it needs to be refinished. I would recommend a engineered type of wood flooring. As long as it is one of the top brand names it should not matter. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

6. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

I'm a contractor and have laid a lot of wood flooring. Solid wood is the best but can only be laid on 2nd floor or raised foundations. Laminates can be laid (glued down) on sealed concrete slabs. Pre finished is excellent these days, look for the ones with the best warranty of the finish itself. Solid can be refinished if damaged or worn out, but the new modern finishes are so durable, I doubt that you will ever need to refinish it unless you damage it some way. For new, unfinished wood flooring, I recommend Bona brand, "Traffic" floor finish. I used it on a staircase in my house when I built it 10 years ago, and it isn't showing any wear at all. Water based, catalyzed finish, it hasn't even begun to show wear.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Buy at least the 5/8" thick stuff (Bruce), otherwise, any water problems and you'll end up with a corderoy road to walk on. Good luck.

8. lboh

lboh Member

Are you putting it on any steps? If so, find what vendor has the single 11" pieces for steps first. I am having a hell of a time finding pre-finished brazilian cherry in NC for the steps that match the rest that was laid a couple years ago.

9. Robb

Robb Member

What we looked at was Bella 3/4" prefinished. I think it said 100 yr warranty but not really sure what that means yet. No steps involved. The underlayment is important due to sound. Finished basement is below.

Do you pull the baseboard or lay to it? I can't see hpo to take it all off without either breaking it or the wall somewhere. Not sure whether to do utility room in wood. We're up over 1200 sq. ft. now.

Thanks for the replys as this much money would buy a nice trapgun. I gotta get it right.

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

A floating floor needs a gap at the edge and ends. Either take off the baseboards and put them back or lay to the existing baseboards and add a quarter round to hide the gap. I have been told to float the quarter round or baseboard above the new floor but don't know if that is necessary. Surfcitydude might be able to tell us for sure.

11. Robb

Robb Member

We'll probably just lay to it then trim it out. I know it will get broke if we take off that much. I hear you about the gap because it will move some. I'd never thought about conditioning the wood before putting down until saleman told me. But I get different ideas on how long. It's 35 degrees outside and that's good for here.

12. Robb

Robb Member

The wife says carpet has to go and wants hardwood floor. I want to use the good stuff. I am told that Bellawood is some of the best. Any tips or opinions?

13. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Laying it yourself??
    From the point of view of adding value to the house, hardwood, not laminate is the way to go. Any of the prefinished hardwoods do well. I put down "Bruce" prefinished about 20 years ago and it has held up quite well

14. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Very good for high traffic areas. Also wood is very bright, noise wise, and high maintenance.

Dave

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Bently998 pegged it, solid hardwood can be re-finished, i.e. resanded & refinished--laminates not usually, veneer is too thin. Just be sure to keep it (spread out) where you're going to lay it for a couple weeks before you nail it down to get it "climate-tized" (sp). Ross Puls

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Robb, use a good vapor barrior and install the floating floor so it can be changed out when it needs to be refinished. I would recommend a engineered type of wood flooring. As long as it is one of the top brand names it should not matter. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

17. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

I'm a contractor and have laid a lot of wood flooring. Solid wood is the best but can only be laid on 2nd floor or raised foundations. Laminates can be laid (glued down) on sealed concrete slabs. Pre finished is excellent these days, look for the ones with the best warranty of the finish itself. Solid can be refinished if damaged or worn out, but the new modern finishes are so durable, I doubt that you will ever need to refinish it unless you damage it some way. For new, unfinished wood flooring, I recommend Bona brand, "Traffic" floor finish. I used it on a staircase in my house when I built it 10 years ago, and it isn't showing any wear at all. Water based, catalyzed finish, it hasn't even begun to show wear.

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Buy at least the 5/8" thick stuff (Bruce), otherwise, any water problems and you'll end up with a corderoy road to walk on. Good luck.

19. lboh

lboh Member

Are you putting it on any steps? If so, find what vendor has the single 11" pieces for steps first. I am having a hell of a time finding pre-finished brazilian cherry in NC for the steps that match the rest that was laid a couple years ago.

20. Robb

Robb Member

What we looked at was Bella 3/4" prefinished. I think it said 100 yr warranty but not really sure what that means yet. No steps involved. The underlayment is important due to sound. Finished basement is below.

Do you pull the baseboard or lay to it? I can't see hpo to take it all off without either breaking it or the wall somewhere. Not sure whether to do utility room in wood. We're up over 1200 sq. ft. now.

Thanks for the replys as this much money would buy a nice trapgun. I gotta get it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.