1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardware and recoil system ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Your opinion of putting hardware and recoil systems on VERY HIGH grade wood.Some say it cheapens the look---SJB---

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I shoot to break targets, not to enjoy how nice my gun looks.

I've known plenty of people who refuse to add adjustable combs, cut a stock that's too long, install a recoil pad on a gun that's beating them to death, ect b/c they are so worried about the aesthetics of their gun. They are not in the winner's circle.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

What skeet man said...if the gun doesn't, what good is it ?? if your willing to accept mediocrity to worry about aesthetics no biggie...theres nothing wrong with mods to a pretty gun as long as its quality work

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ditto x2 what skeet man said. It's a tool in my eyes. I like my tools to work and fit properly.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

What is said above is very true,but did you ever sell a gun and there are many ??s----Like How is the blue---What is the shape of the wood,any dings or scratches---Is recoil pad orig---ETC----Seems like there are many that are looking at the beauty---JMO---SJB

6. skeet_man

Doesn't matter to me, I've long since paid for my gun in winnings that having it fit properly afforded me.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I never worry about resale when setting up a Trap gun or any other gun to my liking. When it comes time to sell its sold as-is. Never had problem getting what I wanted. Of course I don't deal in high end beauties like some you have SJB.

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I know what you guys above are saying but that's not what I asked---
    Does mods like hardware and recoil systems cheapen the look of high grade wood and the character of highend guns?---I get it----My Ford will take you the same place you'r Mercedes will---but there are many that buy Mercedes---SJB

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it does. I am in no way telling anyone not to do it. I have posted my thoughts on this before. I understand that some need these devices to shoot. I understand you want a gun to fit. Cutting the comb I understand, but to cut the length to the point of making it basically unusable, if someone does not want a mechanical recoil reducer to me does not make sense. Personally, I would get a lesser grade wood for the stock, and cut the length. Then sell the uncut high grade wood. As long as you are putting a bunch of metal on the stock, and taking an 1-1/8" off of the expensive high grade wood, it really does not matter what the wood looks like anymore, IMO. As what was stated before when I brought this up, it is your money and gun. Do what makes you happy. Just makes more sense to cut a piece of fence post wood, IMO. Kind of like putting a bunch of stickers over a stock, and forearm with a $2000 piece of wood, after you made it fit, and shoot able, as far as recoil.

Hey, I am all for good wood, I just can't see paying for it, then cutting it down and trowing it away.

10. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

As above. Don't screw up good wood. By all means have the gun fit but use standard grade wood.
    Don't take a $3k piece of wood add $3k making it fit You an think its now worth $7k:)

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

This is an example of how to mess up a nice piece of wood---Would have been better off using the piece from a fence post---JMO---
    [​IMG]

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

George, the potential buyers of any shotgun are limited. Those asking if the recoil pad is original question may do so as a bargaining chip, so to speak. Those looking for a "Shooter" could care less if adjustable add-ons were already added. Those looking for collector guns at junk prices are easy to spot. Waste a lot of a sellers time too! Re-sellers make their money when they buy low and sell for a profit, lots of haggling from those guys using all the used car sell/trade tactics.

Hap

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Im a short arm/ neck guy..so I have to modify most guns wood with the exception of the Browning Plus guns ...but when I do..I get the nicest job done I can ..plus try to take the route that leaves the wood as close to original as possible...like having a .75pad installed instead of 1" so as to lessen the amount of wood lopped of by .25"...that makes a huge difference in value to the next owner sometimes should selling be necessary

14. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I recently came to realize that if you have a gun in your possession that you can't hit s&$% with there are two options, sell it or modify it. I am 57 years old and if I can't hit with it, I don't want my heirs enjoying the proceeds of it's sale. Hey, life is short. Besides, who did you buy the gun for, you or your heirs. A good friend of mine is the county's Register of Wills. He told me that the smartest man would spend his last 5 dollars 5 minutes before he died. He made it, it's his to enjoy. So did you buy it as an investment or to shoot. That would be my question.

15. skeet_man

If the shooter is happy with their gun, why should it matter to anyone else?

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Mike---I buy for both----Just asking about mods on highend wood----Thanks---SJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.