1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardness Top Gun, Estate, Gun Club Hulls (Steel)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by valmet, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do these hulls cause undue wear on the receiver face/chamber of our modern trapguns ? even if the metal in the shotshell is softer?? also, would they cause any undue wear on a reloading press??? metalurgy facts please. thanks in advance, dennis

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Been smearing a thin film of grease on the breech face around the firing pins. 1976 MX8 and very little wear seen there.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend grease on the breech face because it will attract and hold abrasive particles that will act like a low speed grinding compound. I clean my breech face with CLP to remove carbon and then just wipe it lightly to remove the excess leaving a film of "L" on the breech.

I have a 1982 Citori that has been fed a steady diet of steel hull bases since new and shows absolutely no wear.

MK

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Did you see the age of my gun? Over 200,000 rounds and no appreciable wear. Just make sure to wipe it off before putting it back in the case.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Only 200K?

It's a general caution, Barry. The fact is that grease traps and accumulates grit. Put it around the firing pin bore and some of it is going to get into the actions of some guns and take abrasive particles with it. Leave it there long enough, don't clean it out and it will wear metal instead of lubricate it. If you've avoided that, good for you. Not everybody will, especially if they're not given to regularly cleaning their guns' actions.

Besides, grease is engineered to protect against shear/sliding loads, not the vertical loads created when a hull base slams into a receiver face. Vertical impact forces create the distinctive hull base impact patterns in receiver faces. Grease a piece of sheet metal and then hit it with a ball peen hammer. You still get the dent... and maybe some grease on your shirt.

MK

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

MK. I read, I listen, I learn. Thanks fo rthe thoughtful response to valmets "Metallurgical" query. As if this type of thing is on the radar of the shell manufactures.

But I see few steel bezel, steel hull bases that are actually perfectly flush. And when that bullet goes "boom" the seating of the primer bezel will have a greater impact than the base. I hear you when yo say you have a Browning that refuses to give way, but I can tell you that my observation of Perazzi receiver faces tells a different story.

I shoot brass STS and use REM STS primers. Ok, I cannot prove it either, but I at least feel like I'm trying to preserve the life of my reciever.

Jack

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I saw a simular posting on this as a Rem 3200 shooter said that he had to have Laib's do work on his breach face because he used these steel based shells. He said that he believed he may not have had to have the work done if he used brass based shells. I don't know how strong the 3200's breach faces are compared to other guns?? I also know that the resizeing collects are worked much harder and wear parts out at a faster rate trying to reload these shells as well. That is why I wonder why some people will reload these shells. I will not waste my time on any shell that is not a Rem. STS or a Win AA. But there are many of shooters who think they are save money. The choice is yours. Have fun and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.