1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardness of primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Chedites are the softest and PMCs are the hardest. HMB

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

BufferBob
    I did some rather informal testing of the primer cups of fired primers I had on hand a while back. I used a spring loaded center punch and put the cup on a soft aluminum plate. I then measured the dimple for depth. The Fiocchi cups were the hardest and the RIO cups were the softest. So soft in fact that the centerpunch penetrated the cup on 3 of 10 RIO samples. Remington and Windchester were the next softest and CCI and Federal were just a little harder.

I admit that this is far from scientific and it was never intended to be. It was just something I did when I was bored.

--- Chip King ---

3. tomjhunt

tomjhunt TS Member

I am having Laib's redo my 3200 which has the firing pin holes hammered from all of the hard primers. They (Tom Fox I believe)said that sometime ago they changed the primers from brass to metal and that is what is causing the problem in the older guns. Nobeltec? I believe was one of the top three that he said not to use...I forget the other two, but I bet they would be happy to share that with you. After Laib's redoes the breech face, it will stand up to the harder primers. Mine was at a point where the firing pins were getting stuck in the out position.

4. Erik W

Erik W Member

No scientific basis for opinion (just personal experience), but I think Nobel Sport primers are on the hard side.

5. tomjhunt

tomjhunt TS Member

This is what Pat Laib sent me back when I asked for the ones that they had mentioned over the phone:

The best primers that are still brass and copper are Remington STS Win AA uses a steel and brass primer which are ok. Every thing else is very hard especially Rem gun clubs - Chedite primers RIOs Federal are all steel now. Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.