1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hardness of plumbing lead??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by robertb, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertb

robertb TS Member

I was recently offered #250 lbs of old plumbing lead(piping ,drains etc)I'd like to use it for making shot,but pure lead does not work well for shot making.
    how hard is plumbing lead compared to tire weights?

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Soft, You need to add antimony.

3. robertb

robertb TS Member

I've read that truing to alloy lead with other metals...tin,antimony etc is
    difficult if not impossible

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Plumbing lead is dead soft, but, formulaes exist allowing you to mix with harder alloys and achieve a suitable result. Adding tin will give you the flowing characteristics you need, but, it will still be soft..

6. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Melt your soft lead and clean thoroughly, then add to wheel weight lead at a ratio of about 25 lbs per 100 lbs of ww lead.

I have used this in the past, and it flowed through the machine well, and broke targets well, also.

You can also use soft, or pure lead, to dilute some that might be contaminated with other materials that will not flow through the drippers. (tin, zink, etc) I've done this, too

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I use Super Hard Alloy (30%-Antimony,-70%-Lead). I recently made 100 lbs of Stick on wheel weights that are soft lead. I use a 1 pound Super Hard Alloy (30%-Antimony,-70%-Lead) to 10 lbs stick on wheel weights. Shot turns out well. 10Tenner

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Bvr Tail has it right. 75/25 wheel weights to soft lead. it will flow with no problem.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

10tenner, your percentage of antimony is way too high and is working against you. Good hard magnum shot will only have 6-8 percent antimony and anymore then that is hurting weight. Antimony is almost half the weight of lead which translates to less pellet energy. Check the weight of your shot drop using your 30% formula vs. magnum shot and you will see the difference.

antimony= .242 lb. per cu. inch.

lead= .410 lb. per cu. inch.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Toolmaker,

10Tenner's ratio is UNDER the 6% level...

Take one pound of 30% antimony = 0.3 pounds antimony, alloyed into 11 pounds of total weight gives a 2.7% number for the antimony.

Just saying...

11. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"Toolmaker,

10Tenner's ratio is UNDER the 6% level...

Take one pound of 30% antimony = 0.3 pounds antimony, alloyed into 11 pounds of total weight gives a 2.7% number for the antimony.

Just saying... "

You are right!!

I tried playing around with adding soft stick on wheel weights to clip on wheel weights. I could not add much and then slow drippers, larger shot, and not round shot. 10tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.