1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardness of pistol ball ammo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tonyd642, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyd642

tonyd642 TS Member

I have access to tons of fired pistol ball slugs and was wondering if it would work well to make shot. Is it hard enough and would it be too difficult to clean?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shot? Like what caliber? 9mm is roughly 00 buck. Some ball ammo (FMJ) has some pretty tough curpo-nickel jackets. A few have steel jackets with a softer metal like copper or brass plated on them for lubrication.<br>
    <br>
    Frankly, I wouldn't do it.<br>
    <br>
    At best, you might melt the lead cores out, if these bullets have a lead base.

3. tonyd642

tonyd642 TS Member

They are all .45 cal. I intended to melt them down and make 8 shot. I just don't know how well it will work. I have access to tons and tons of this stuff and just wondered if would work as well as wheel weights.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tony, Most of the ball ammo you describe has soft lead cores in a gilding metal jacket. You can try it, But it will be soft shot. Most sporting ammo has fairly soft cores, 3% antimony or less. Most are 1 1/5%. Bullet makers tend to control expansion with jacket wall thickness.

PS: I made bullets at Sierra for several years.

Jim

5. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i use it mix'd 50/50 with wheel weights seems to run better than strait wheel weights,does add a extra step when casting my ingots but it does allow for one moore cleaning,that is the main thing to be concern'd with,ran 500 lbs that way so far and im going to stay with it,helps to stretch the wheel weights.mark jones

6. tonyd642

tonyd642 TS Member

For years the ammo shot at this range was not jacketed. We just had a guy make up reloads with solid lead slugs. In the past year we started using jacketed slugs but there should be about 50 years worth of slugs in the berm. Does anyone know if the un-jacketed slugs are harder?

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Some are and some are not. Dig them out and see how they work.

Jim

8. tonyd642

tonyd642 TS Member

Thanks Skip. I think I will start collecting all I can and see what I can do with it. It may turn out to be a pain, but with access to so much of it I would like to make it work.

Thanks all for the advice.
    Tony D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.