1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardest station- easiest station?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CharlesR1100, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Assuming a 16 yard, right handed shooter, I rank the 5 stations from hardest to easiest as : 5, 1, 4, 2 finally 3. I view the two corner stations ( 5 and 1 ) as the hardest because of the extreme angles possible. 4 is the hardest intermediate station because the gun is swinging off the shooter's face on hard right, but into the face on hard left on station 2. 3 is the easiest because it is the only one left. No surprises so far. But...

But is there any data to support this theory?

It should be easliy verified or debunked with hard data. More so with D, C and B class shooters at the 16 yard line. The Grand score sheets should tell the tale. The Sparta facility is about as neutral a site as we have to rule out variables and background static.

If my theory is correct, there will be a corresponding lost bird ratio for each station. Is any such data available? Anywhere?

2. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

The hardest station is the one you are standing on. The easiest station is the one the guy you are trying to beat is standing on.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

To some (guilty) the 1 and 5 stations are a concern and they focus and work hard at them with success while in the center, they get to thinking about taxes, kids, dogs, lunch, the bozo laughing loudly behind them, et cetera and it's the (should be) easy birds they miss. There is no easy station....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Data, objective data, numbers. Is it out there?

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Probably, but it is hard copy, that's is, if it hasn't been burned. Maybe they microfiche the score sheets at the Grand?

6. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

If you BELIEVE there is a hardest station then for you it will be.........which will make it more likely for you to miss on that station. Personally, I think they all present equal challenges.

hubcap

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

CharlesR1100, your theory may have some validity at one shoot and be totally off at the next. I've never heard of any data that says one post is tougher than another. Some of the top shooters have said they have a particular target that gives them problems at times, usually stations 2,3 or 4.

I find a few misques in your reasonings for why targets are missed at various stations too. Less gifted shooters will miss at any point on the trap and should improve with mental and physical workouts (shooting more) if the proper basics are learned and followed. The trap game is is closer to being a 95% mental game with the remainder paying attention to seeing/reading the targets angle properly. If targets are set to ATA suggestions for proper angles, all targets from station one will require some lead depending on the degree of said angle. The same thing is true for station five. So, those two stations have a 100% probability of being an angle bird of various degrees. Stations two and four have a higher degree of possibly getting a true straight away target with the greater percentages favoring some angle. Station three is a crapshoot, a 50/50 percentage of getting either left or right angles even though a lesser degree.

"Assuming a 16 yard, right handed shooter, I rank the 5 stations from hardest to easiest as : 5, 1, 4, 2 finally 3. I view the two corner stations ( 5 and 1 ) as the hardest because of the extreme angles possible. 4 is the hardest intermediate station because the gun is swinging off the shooter's face on hard right, but into the face on hard left on station 2. 3 is the easiest because it is the only one left. No surprises so far. But..."

" 4 is the hardest intermediate station because the gun is swinging off the shooter's face on hard right, but into the face on hard left on station 2."

This isn't a station mistake, it's the shooters mistake by pushing or pulling the gun into or away from his face. Basics say, the shooter and gun become one from the waist up while keeping the cheek in contact with the comb. Thats said, a shotgun can be a very forgiving tool. You can see shooters violating all those basics and breaking great scores. If those same shooters are shooting consistantly, they are shooting a ton of targets to maintain. It's easier when following the basics in my humble opinion though. Hap

8. Deanoo

Deanoo TS Member

I believe you shouldn't put yourself in a position to have a favorite post or a post you have trouble with, you will think of that on the trap line.. if your having problems with post 1 and then 5 , you should figure out why . something is probly outta place -fix it and all the posts should feel the same , thats how it was for me....Dean

9. JRW

JRW Member

I have to say none of them are easy. I find as soon as I think all is ok LOST. Jerry

10. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i also believe that stations 1 and 5 are the hardest because of the extreme angles, but you gotta just keep your eye one the bird and do what you always doand you will break em don't let them intimidate you the more they do the more you overthink it and miss.

11. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

All good points, but for whatever the reason, data will show that there are more misses on one station than the rest, and fewer misses on one station likewise.

My sample is best shown in the D, C and B Class shooters for exactly the reasons given by others above. But even expert/superior shooters (A, AA and AAA) will produce a station with more misses than the others when the scores come in. But probably not for the same reasons.

I am trying to remove the subjective (personal fear) element by looking at the objective data of a large shoot, like the Grand, with thousands of shooters.

My guess is that there will be more misses on stations 5 and 1 (for any number of reasons) and the least number of misses on 3. Inverse of the bell curve when counting lost birds. But where is any data on the topic? This really is very basic.

Frankly, this data should be known by every instructor. And shooter. And the data is available. Just look at the score sheets. I suspect there will be a clear pattern. 5, 1, 4, 2 then 3.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The hardest station is the one your on when you've already broken 95 straight. When you've broken 195 in a row, the next station is located somewhere between hell and highwater.

13. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I can't say that any one station is harder than another. What I have experienced is when I miss one my next miss will often come on that same station. However, the next hundred it may be a different station altogether.

I think if you were to analyze the data, you'd find that misses are spread out pretty evenly across all stations for all the reasons stated above.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Any that throws a straight-a-way. Two, three, or four.

15. bas

bas Member

I have found them ALL to be hard....at one time or another. If I'm having trouble with a particular target...it is because of my execution - not the difficulty of the target.

16. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

There was a time when I loved to start on post 4. I always believed that once I turned the corner and went to Post 2, the last 10 birds were in the bag becasue obviously they are "easy". This was singles, I was shooting well that weekend, I wanted to win, I was straight on 195 targets, and I stood on Post 3 and dropped two straightaway birds. But back then, I thought I was really coming along as a shooter and was holding a high gun and probably shot off the end of the barrel without actually tracking the targets. I also think it was a year before I would start on post 4 again.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It's the one your mind says to fear the most. As Setterman said when you are straight and down to the final targets and your gut says don't screw it up now. More 99's or 98's are shot at this point than any other. JMHO

Don

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If i get through what ever station I start on with 5dead. The hardest station has been done. the rest is beating the next hardest station. The 6" station between my ears.

19. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

Post 3 is the one most easily missed. The tendency is to hold for the straight away and to shoot too quickly. Unlike a passing shot, ehere the length of the shot string comes into play, you have only the WIDTH of the pattern with which to hit the target.

Hitting a straight away quickly can create a very satisfying cloud of dust, but missing because you shot too quickly lowers a score in a hurry, too.

I always hold so that I have to move the gun for most targets presented on any post. I know a guy who missed sixty targets in a 100-target race because he released the trigger without moving the gun!

20. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

We are not trying to beat the other guy, we are trying not to beat ourselves, lets be realistic.

I am a right handed shooter and have the most trouble on stations 2 and 3, I dont have problems with the other three, I need to lower my gun more on station 2 and tend to become overconfident on no. 3 thus I miss.

Berettaman7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.