1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard To Get - Reloading Components

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sigraph, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Is there still a shortage on primers? Also, I remember when you couldn't buy rifle primers because of a scare Mrs. Clinton started when she mentioned banning them. Everybody went out and bought all they could find.

What else if any is hard to get right now?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I did not experience a problem with shotgun primers. I ordered and got 5,000 Winchester primers and repeated that in November.

Pat Ireland

3. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Most pistol and some rifle primers are still hard to come by...Starting to get a little better...Odie

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Things are getting back to normal availability. I buy most everything from Recobs online but did notice at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday that they have a lot of supplies now

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Where I buy there are limits on some primers I use (Winchester 3000) and some pistol ammo has box limits.

I like the Winchester Primers but may pick up 1000-2000 Fiocchi's and keep some around incase Wins dry up again. I've reloaded 300-400 and shot them, I like they reload.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Around SE PA STS209 and W209 primers seem to be in short supply. My supplier told me two months ago that W209 would be scarce until sometime in February next year. I bought another 5,000 just to be safe.

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Can't remember now if it was Cabelas or Gamiel that had Nobels for cheap. Midsouth had Federals for like 31 bucks (1000) a couple weeks back. Any brand is good in my book for practice. But I'd stick with a better brand when involved in shoots. I'm also using reclaimed shot (Black label) that is excellent compared to any other I've used. It's sorted back to size #7 1/2 or #8's which I like to use. Jim

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Not everyone that buys in volume is a hoarder!

Many of us shoot lots of shells every week...and ...buying in volume saves money!

Just simple economics.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- Actually what is buying in volume? Where I buy primers, they are only sold in sleeves of 5,000.

Pat Ireland

10. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Don't have the slightest idea whether of not it's true, but I heard that
    the Military was using 209 Primers in some Mortar rounds now. Sounds like
    an old-wives tale to me, but haven't been able to track down the truth or fiction of that statement. Take it for what it is, just a rumor, unless someone can debunk it. Feel free to do so, just to put my mind at ease. If they are, that would explain some of the shortages. Along, of course, with the idea of lots of shooters "stockpiling" which I know they are.

AdamsRibs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.