1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard time letting go of Christmas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Tomorrow is the first business day of the New Year. Anybody else out there sad? Back to the grind, now what is there to look forward too? I already miss Christmas.

This for me was the most looked to Christmas, and it fulfilled it’s promise. Like everything worthwhile it had both the good and bad, the yin-yang, and the bittersweet moments.

Judging by my weight gain it was the most merriest Christmas. I got a chance to renew old friendships with friends from all of the country whom made the pilgrimage back home to the Hoosier state. Also had a chance to repair some frayed nerves with old friends. It seemed like I had lunch with a different someone every day, and enjoyed every damn one of em.

The bitter part is knowing this is probably the last Christmas for a couple members of the extended family. One entered hospice care just a couple of days ago, another was diagnosed with terminal cancer around Thanksgiving. Had a good visit with both. New Years eve I said goodbye to another family member whom is moving to the other side of the country to take a job. Glad he got a job, but wish it was closer. And all of us here on ts.com lost a friend a few days before Christmas.

It really is the most wonderful part of the year. For a couple week period most everybody seems nicer, happier, less worried about things. Now what? Time to leave fantasy land and back to reality.

If nobody objects, I’m going to stay in fantasy land a few more hours. I’m going to fix me a tall mixed drink and listen to Karen Carpenter sing any Christmas carol, then Bing sing “White Christmas”, and then listen to Mannheim Steamroller play their version of “Silent Night”. Then I’ll go upstairs and unplug the tree and just pray and hope Christmas 2011 turns out to be full of as much hope and joy this one brought me. Hope we are all around to see it.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Personally, I'm glad it's over. I really don't like this time of year what so ever. I don't like anything about it. The crowds, the rude people hustling and bustling, having to deal with relatives and inlaws that I really don't like, the impossibility to go to a post office or any other business-related-business to do business.

Sorry to be a scrooge, but you can have it.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, but you live in Detroit, that could be why every season is rotten, you think? LOL

4. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I agree with Tron 100%

The week before Christmas was horrible. I also run a business, and am in post offices and banks a few times a day. The lines were terrible with the Grandmas wanting NEW bills to give to the grandkids, etc.

I am looking forward to getting back to normal.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's nice spending time with family over the holidays but yeah the thought of going right back to working long hours the first week of January can be a little depressing. I usually start by putting a few good things on the new calendar to look forward to, and setting a few challenging personal goals to start working toward. By the second week of January I'm back in the flow of things and looking forward to Spring. It helps to remember the blessings God has given us. Always look forward.

-Gary

6. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Bisi, I am with you 100%. I love Christmas and it can never last long enough for me. Even though our relatives all live quite a distance from us, my wife and daughter and I always have a nice holiday. I always remember the past Christmas seasons with fond memories. I have alot of family members left, but the ones that we used to get together with when I was young are mostly all passed on. It is all those memories that make my attitude towards Christmas what it is today. All our family members that got together back then didn't really have much, but those are the fondest memories of Christmas that I have. Every year was special. Over the years, they just got smaller and smaller, until all the old folks were gone and the young ones were just too busy to make the trip any more. I try to teach our daughter the true meaning of Christmas. I can tell that you also embrace the true meaning of Christmas and I am glad that yours was great. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you. Neil Swenson

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks Neil.

Happy New Year.

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I am with you Bisi, I like Christmas and the whole time period from about a week prior to Thanksgiving thru New Years. Now it is nothing but cold, there is only about a months worth of football on... I really can't stand January and February.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Under normal circumstances Christmas is a happy time for me. This year was much different. I lost a son to cancer this past year and my Christmas thoughts were all with him and how much he enjoyed the holidays.

10. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Thanks for the posting Bisi. This year was better than normal for the family getting together and it seemed like old times. We have two grandchildren who are four and they had a good time this Christmas with grandma and I. LeeAnn made me a Santa Clause suit and I had it on and looked in the windows a couple days before Christmas to check if those babies were being Naughty or Nice. Then walked around the house and through the backyard and turned and waved to them and kept going out the back and to a neighbors house. They were so excited that they saw Santa checking up on them. We had a good snow cover and the moonlight was just perfect that evening. Gabe and Lily were so excited they called their moms and told them about seeing Santa. That was a big deal just because no one can get Gabe to talk on the phone ever. That night he was a mag-pie.

LeeAnn lost her boss to cancer just before the new year. She had fought colon cancer for five years and two years ago had been told by her doctors that she "should get her affairs in order" as she had just weeks to live. We saw an article about a cancer cure and told her about it and she started using it and got two more years. Today is her funeral. LeeAnn is just sick about this classy lady's death. Maybe this year will bring better things to come. Hope all you folks have a better year than last and all those birds break while they are still in the air. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.