1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard time for hunter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wahoo, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Jury at Covington, Virginia just gave a total of 10 years of hard time to a hunter that killed another hunter. The shooter "...heard a noise in the bushes..." and shot a fellow hunter in the shoulder/chest area, killing him. News reports never give all of the details but it was interesting that the guy who got killed was not wearing any blaze-orange clothing which is required by Virginia law when hunting deer. While sympathy is due to the families of both men, it is reassuring to see that juries and judges in Virginia are at last enforcing game laws as they should have been enforced all along.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

And justice is served here how?

Real criminal don't get treated this bad nation wide.

The act was stupid, but if this is the whole story, its a Accident pure and simple.

A more JUST punishment would have been to make this person spend the next couple of years going to every Hunter Ed class state wide telling his sad story and why it was tragic and idiotic.

Also the jury should be made to go to classes teaching the difference between "criminal" activity and human caused accidents.

Just my opinion.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This was not an accident. It was reckless endangerment and criminally negligent homicide.

If it were my son that was killed by one of these jackasses I would want them to be locked up for MORE than ten years.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

One judge in my area who has retired would be hard on hunters and game violaters. One guy shot a deer out of season had to pay $1500.00 for replacement lost game Lic for 1 year and spent time in jail. That judge was a hunter.

The judge who replaced him would find you guilty of something guardless if you proved you were not in the wrong. You came to his court you paid to get out. If you were a game violaters he would do nothing to you. The Game Warden dept had to go through channels to get him to do his job. For example, a guy was in his yard working. A black bear came in his yard and started to eat from his bird feeder. He put his tools down and went inside. He closed the door a went to his gun closet and got a rifle. Went back outside and shot the bear. He then dragged it to a stream down a hill from his yard and capped it out. He then put the hide in the freezer. When his wife came home he told her what had happened. She said if you don't call the Gamewarden I will. He did and got a ticket. They went to court and the judge let him off with NOTHING. The reason, he said he was protecting himself from the dangerous bear.

It all depends on the judge. He could be a hunter, he could be a non hunter, he could be anti gun pr pro gun. Its all up to the person and what he or she believes in who sits behind the bench on what happens to someone.

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'll tell you an unjust story.A friend of mine in W.Va. was asleep in his double wide trailer,when he was awakened by a hugh crashing noise.He went to his bedroom door,and peeked out only to find a BIG black bear in his kitchen making breakfast. He grabbed his '06,and killed the bear.He called the DNR,and told them what had happened.The DNR came out to investigate the scene.My buddy was given a 5000.00 fine,and had to appear before a judge.This man could no more afford that ticket because of his monitary situation(he is poor,and can barely make ends meet).This has been some years ago,but to this day he will tell you if he has trouble agian with any bear "he will shoot 'em,fire up the backhoe,and bury 'em",enough said.He ain't ever calling the Law again.Period!
    True story.

D.P.Reynolds

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

That is bad. Bad GW and ba judge. S.S.S Shot, Shovel, Shut up.

My question is what would have happened if a person was there and not a bear. Would he have been charged then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.