1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard rights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HoosierHawk95, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I am having a great deal of trouble with hard rights from post five. Can any of you veterans out there recommend a good drill or exercise that I can use to help me with my problem? Thanks for any help you can offer.

David

2. TC

TC TS Member

Lock the trap for right angles only. Start on station 2, if you can hit two in a row move to station 3. If you can hit three in a row on 3 move to station 4. If you can hit four in a row, move to station 5. Finish out your remaining shells and if you are still having trouble, do it again.
    This is assuming you don't have some other problems with fit, POI, etc. Tony

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Just set the machine to only throw rights and shoot them until you are confident with them.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Let the machine oscillate and shoot two to three boxes of practice each week from post five by yourself. If I am on post five and I know the machine is going to throw only right hand birds, I can hit them. I think the best practice is when the angle is unknown.

On post five, for right handed shooters, if you put just a little extra pressure on the big toe of your left foot, you will swing to the right a little easier.

Pat Ireland

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You need to find out what's wrong with your technique rather than simply stand and shoot at right angles until you figure out how to compensate for what you're doing wrong.

Right handed shooters tend to lift their heads and/or push the gun away from their cheek during the swing so that they end up looking across the barrel slightly and shooting behind the target even though they think they are using huge leads. To check for this, fire at a hard right during practice and then immediately freeze in position and evaluate your sight picture relative to the gun barrel.

Randy Martin suggested I swing by pulling my right shoulder back a bit rather than trying to do the whole swing with my left shoulder. It forces the swing to occur from the waist rather than from the feet and knees.

MK

6. nagantino

nagantino TS Member

I Trapshoot most weekends, all year round. I cannot think of any of the clubs that I attend that would lock the trap while a member practices hard rights or any fixed single birds. So I agree with Pat Ireland......go to stand 5 and shoot the birds as they come. Hold the gun just right of the house, prepare yourself for the worst bird. If its the right hander, move the gun smoothly and follow thro as you pull the trigger. Once you master it, and you will, congratulate yourself every time you see the bird break.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

What is your stance on station 5? I find that having my elft hip face the right corner of the trap house works great. I'm a RH shooter, and it cuts down on gun movement to the target and keeps my cheek on the stock.

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Get your skeet gun out and shoot a couple of rounds of (dare I say) skeet, shooting only high house left to right targets from skeet stations 3 & 4 to help you get the idea of leading the target. Take the visual of these leads back to trap from station 5. Best Regards, Ed

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Turn your body to favor the hard right bird as Bruce suggests. Also lower your hold so the bird exits above your barrel. You can also move your barrel 1'-2' off the house if your not seeing the bird exit the house well (at least try it).

Seeing the bird well is 95% of the correct fix.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn to read the trap machine so you can shoot straight aways from post five. HMB

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Boy, that's making you a better shot.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

HMB, you're a lot of help. That's my toughest target!! The right screamer is the easy one. (LOL)

13. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

try moving your left knee toward the bird on those hard rights, it will help you to pivot your body instead of arm shooting.....when you arm shoot the gun moves away from your head.

it dosen't have to be a big move just use your regular stance and move that left knee toward the direction the bird is going.

tony

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"try moving your left knee toward the bird on those hard rights, it will help you to pivot your body instead of arm shooting...."</i></blockquote>

This is what Harlan Campbell teaches... "Press forward and move your knee to the target." Easy for him.

Every time I tried it I darn near dislocated my knee. I like pulling back with my right shoulder better.

MK

15. ABH

ABH Member

David,

Set the trap to throw only hard rights.Go to station 5 and take your normal stance.Now,with your right foot planted,move your left foot to the right about 10"to 12".Aim your gun 3'to4'to the right of the top right of the trap house.Your left shoulder should be pointed to the right side of the house.Keep your barrel below the top of the house when calling for the target.You must see the bird as soon as it comes out.Track the bird,pass it and squeeze.KEEP YOUR HEAD ON THE STOCK! WOOD TO WOOD.Do not rush the shot.If you are shooting a .030" choke or more,you have plenty of time to make the shot.Shoot a box of shells or whatever until you are crushing the targets.Now set the thrower back to standard mode and shoot another round or two.You may vary your stance a little as you figure out what works best for you,but hopefully this will put you on the road to success.

ART H.

ART H.

16. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

___Personally I have trouble holding off the right corner shooting hard rights. I tend to poke at the bird. I do better holding 1 ft. inside the left corner. I think this promotes a better swing thru the target for a hard right. Try both ways and see what works best for you.....SMOKIT

17. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Thank you to all who have posted with ideas or strategies to help with the hard rights. I will be going to the range this weekend and will practice some of the tips you all have suggested.

18. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

As was suggested, common reasons for missing hard rights from station 5 are the stance that is used (I recommend standing so a line drawn across your toes is parallel with a line drawn down station 5) and doing what you can to avoid pulling your comb away from your cheek during swings. Rotate at the waist and hips and do not push the gun with your forward arm.

If it is applicable, mount your gun with the top of the recoil pad on your collarbone. It will help you shoot with a more upright head/neck posture and lower the tendency to raise your cheek off the comb during swings.

Rollin

19. 410Ed

410Ed TS Member

Try shooting some skeet! That will improve your swing on hard rights and lefts trmendously! Think of skeet shooting as adjunct learning for trapshooting!
    410ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.