1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hard rights on station 5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KENENT1, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

having a tough time shooting rights off station 5 on handicap......shooting leagues and going straight for every station at 26 yds. except 5, I just can not see them, this has mainly been happening since we started shooting after dark.

I am a two eyed shooter, anyone have any advice????

tony

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

What is your hold point? i too had that problem but now I hold waaay out right of the house, maybe 5 or 6 feet ? I hold as far right as I can and still make the other shots. On some days, it is a little easier than others and I blame that on my eyes.

3. romie

romie Active Member

YOu tell me how to get to the 26 yard line and stay straight to station 5 and I'll somehow figure out your problem.
    Monty

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

you could have something there, I have been moving my hold points more to the center of the house lately, it seems like I'm getting over the top of the bird and not being able to come back down.

the last two weeks I have been 20 straight, then get to station 5 and drop 3 birds.....really sucks!!

tony

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Monty..........I could tell ya, but it would ruin all the fun your gonna have getting there!!! lol

tony

6. al391

al391 TS Member

My opinion, I'm a lefty, I always square to the line on station 5. I used to hold on the front right corner........not anymore (older eyes). I've moved my hold point 4 feet to the right. The new hold point allows me to see the target angle longer, I also hold like a one eyed shooter, low on the angle approx. even with the house. I use constant lead, it worked for me, try it. I might add, this method will take "time" to develop a level of comfort, don't give up to quickly. No straightaway has ever escaped a modern shotgun or the current loads we use, "you" must take a little longer to shoot the straightaways on 5. This worked for me....that's all I can say, try it.

Jack

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tony stated that his problem is he does not see the right hand birds well. If you do not see the bird out of the house, you will have problems. If the problem is after the lights are turned on, it could be a light adjustment problem. Watch other birds. Are the right hand birds darker than the others. Perhaps one of the lights needs adjusting. Also, holding a lower gun will help some see the birds sooner.

If you change your foot/body position to compensate for right hand birds from five, the trap machine will see that and it will only throw you left hand birds. Your strained body position will make it difficult to move left. I am convinced that trap machines have eyes and they enjoy tricking us.

Pat Ireland

8. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I try to start at station 5. If I make it thru that mess of birds It makes me feel good.

Lefts always had me beat but then I started busting them... Figured out the lead.

Then I deal with station 1. After that it is smooth sailing.

Get the two hard stations out of the way, then break them frikin birds.

Maybe some colored shooting glasses will help you pick up them birds.

I do not look at anything else but the trap house between shots. It helps me to be focused when waiting for that target.

When it gets dusk out your eyes are gradually focusing in. It takes like thirty minutes till anyone gets full vision.

That is why there are more car accidents in dusk and dawn transitions.

9. psfive

psfive Member

Shoot left handed. Problem solved. Now do we have a problem with the hard lefts on station 1?

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

You probably don't want to here this but the only way you should be dealing with this is bringing your hold point back to the house so you can see the target leave it. Holding 5 feet right of the house will just screw you in the long run.

you are missing the target because you are picking your head off the stock because you can't see it and it gets away from you. You pick up your head to find the target and the gun stops and you shoot behind it.

Plus... you now have to swing the gun way back to the left for your other targets. Overcompensating for one angle will cause you to lose targets you already take care of.

Bringing the gun way out to the right may work when you are practicing on hitting those hard rights but when it counts you got no swing and you are doing nothing more than spot shooting.

Believe me... hold back to the house so you see it and keep your head on the gun, swing through the target and break it. You got plenty of time to get it.

11. Shootist333

Shootist333 TS Member

tony the lights on trap 1 at izack aren't adjusted proper there is a dark spot on the right ron and I had same problem gary

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tony, You can try what I use as a two eyed shooter. I'm right handed so at 5 I stand with my left hip pointed towards the right corner of the trap house. My point of aim is started far right of the house then I coil back to the right corner of the hosue when calling for the bird. It works for me!

13. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

Kenent1

I had the same problem last year and found that I was holding too high and not on the same flight path the target was on. I now hold on the top right corner of the house and it seems to have helped me on both ends. Now if I could just break those straight aways I'd have it made. Good luck.

Bob Collins

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

BucPride got it right. Holding far off the right corner is not the answer......SMOKIT

15. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Hold on the right corner a foot or so to the left of the traphouse edge for station #5. You shoud be like at 4/5 to the left side of it looking from the center

When you see the bird move your gun to it, keep swinging and shoot that bird.

Do not move your barell untill you see the bird

I still think that it the light diminishing transition that is messing you up.

Kenny Uhlbeck

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Like warpspeed, I hold outside the right front corner of the house, maybe 5' but with handicap, I hold a lower, muzzle down to as low as the front lip of the house. I have no problems with seeing the birds with those two thoughts. I have very little problems with hard rights being able to "trust my instincts" and just see bird, attack bird, and shoot it being quite successful. If I could only solve the lefties on the other end life would be a lot sweeter......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shoot so me skeet. After you learn High 4, a station 5 hard right trap target will be child's play. (My experience exactly.)

HM

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

On the corner,off the corner, high, low etc etc!

Regardless of where you start the gun, do not allow the gun to interfere with seeing the target leave the trap clearly! Getting a good look as it pops out is far more important than where you start the gun! Kay O. shows shooters they can even start the gun on the opposite corner and still have plenty of time to crush the target! Keeping the gun outa your eyes way is what it's all about!

Hap

19. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I normally shoot holding the gun pretty high. I noticed I was having trouble with the hard rights, And, the hits I'd get seemed to be on the back edge.

So, after reading the advice here, I went up today and tried a coupe of things. The one that seemed to work for me was holding on the front edge of the house, about 18" or so to the left. I could see the target when it came out, hit the rights or the straightaways. Didn't miss any from Post 5.

It worked for both single and handicaps, so I will keep on using that hold point and see if it keeps working for me.

Bob

20. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

thanks for all the imput, have a lot of things to try tonight, if this wind dies down!!

I'm thinking I need to hold lower to get a better look at the bird.

thanks!!

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.