1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HARD RIGHTS ON FIVE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goose2, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I need some help from my friends on T.S.com. I have been shooting great and all of a sudden I am missing quite a few hard rights from post 5. I have had people watch me and they say all looks good but I miss. All comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, the gooser.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If you figure it out, let me know. I've had some nice long runs end on those darn things. Very frustrating.

-Gary

3. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

keep your head down-stay with the gun and follow thru!! now if i can follow that advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If "people" tell you it looks good but you still miss, you had better find other "people". Where do you hold your gun before calling for the bird on 5?

5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

You may be pushing the gun off your face on hard rights. Keep that cheek tight on the stock.

EE

6. KS user

KS user TS Member

Right on EE.Had that same problem myself.I actually lengthened my gracoil a bit,seemed to help problem.

7. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

There is a chance you might be stopping your swing and shooting behind the bird.

BB

8. eperry

eperry Member

Probably checking the bead at the last moment, especially if all looks good.

9. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Try adjusting your foot position a little bit to the RIGHT. This will allow a freer swing. Maybe your back has tightened up a little recently and is hampering a fluid swing. Since there's no 'hard lefts' on Five, you won't give up much if anything for left birds. Just my .02cts worth...

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you are short shooting your angles, by that I mean behind them, your stock is too long. I am 6'0" tall and my sleeve length is 35"inches and I shoot a 14 to 14 1/8th inch LOP.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A while back I struggled with hard angle targets from both 1 and 5. It took me a while to realize that I was rushing the swing. I was so concerned about getting to the target that I wasn't exercizing good form and basically swinging the gun and pulling the trigger.

I started slowing down and not rushing the target and everything was just fine. Man, I was really starting to second guess myself for a while.

I also started paying real close attention to my foot placement as I was getting a little sloppy.

Bad shooting habits are really easy to start and the dickens to get rib of.

ss

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

As always, thanks for the suggestions. I will try and put it all in my head and get it corrected and hopefully I will come back with better news.

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Goose, If your gun shoots high make sure your shooting under and not over the top of it. I had a hard time with trap guns staying under the angles until I got used to it. Bill

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

What EE said! That and stopping the gun are the usual culprits.

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Since we lost the 3 hole in favor of the 2 hole there are no hard rights from post 5. Adjust your thinking, keep your head down and your gun moving. Post-2

16. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Well,I am a lefty so I relish hard rights, keep you head down and follow through! Both eyes can follow them. Keep the gun moving and shoot on the front edge. that is all the advice I can offer if any.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Learn to shoot skeet. Once you start hitting high 4, a right on 5 is a much easier target.

HM

18. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I'm a left hand shooter. Was having trouble on 1 until I moved my foot position so that a line from one toe to the other would point at the trap house. Or said another way, I had my back to the other shooters.

The reason this foot position helps on 1 for left handed shooters and helps on 5 for right handed shooters is that it is more difficult for a left handded shooter to swing left and a right handed shooter to swing right. For right handed shooters the arm holding the forearm can swing more to the left than it can swing to the right. The opposite is true for left handed shooters. Try it.

Charlie

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I started having the same problem at the Dixie Grand. I believe, I am not seeing the target leave the house. This makes me start chasing the target and coming out of my gun. At the first opportunity, I plan to go to my local club, open one trap just for me and shoot 100 or so from post five

One thing you could try at home. Stand with your normal foot position and swing right and left. Then, move only the toe of your right foot (heel must stay in place)about one inch to the right and swing again. The swing difference will surprise you.

Pat Ireland

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the posts here but what I would do is go to the club and open up the house. Turn the machine so its throwing rights. Turn it on and start shooting from station 5. Keep shooting infront of the target and behind the target till you know where your shooting. Once you find that out keep shooting till you work out the kinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.