1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard rights from post 5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hotrod67, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

I need some pointers on hard right targets from post 5. I am a right hand shooter and do well on hard left targets from post 1 but for what ever reason from post 5 hard rights I swing the gun OK but my head does not follow. I'll pull my face off the stock 4 out of 10 times I know what I need to do but just can't seem to get there. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.DS

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Check your foot position, and if needed, use DUCT TAPE. LOL

Merry Christmas, all!

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

try putting your right foot a back a little more,basic left foot at 10 o-clock,and your right at 4 on position 5. As you start off on position 1,you are setting your self up for the lefts.as you move down the line start turning your body a litte more to the right.when you get to position 5 you should be able to swing to the right easily, and shoot the lefts as a straght away. It helped me.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

learn to "crack your knee". Front knee as you go ater a hard right.

chetman7 thanked this.
  5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The above post are correct. Turn more to the right. My back is to the shooter on post four, and my gun hold is for a straight-away on five. All I have to do is turn right, no left movement at all.

Wayne

6. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Hotrod67, since i am an old guy and a "little" heavy the way the other posters told you is the way i stand on post 5. With my back to the shooter on post 4 BUT, i hold to the RIGHT of the front corner of the traphouse about a FOOT and DOWN half way the height of the traphouse. I have found that keeps me from shooting OVER the Hard right targets. Helped me is all i am saying. Joe joe90t

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Keep your elbow up.

8. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Move feet so that you face farther right and it negates the angle. As a right handed shooter it is easier to swing left as needed. Also hold on the right corner of the house or perhaps just off it if needed.

9. PRODIGY

PRODIGY TS Member

Follow through!

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

sterlingworth says it right along with wayneo and MNguns. Just a tick to the right on each station then a couple ticks on station 5.

Good shooting
    WesleyB

11. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

You are probably raising your head up because you did not see it leave the house. Try holding a lower gun and maybe a little more off the corner of the house. You are probably not picking it up because it is "sneaking" by you under your gun. At least that is what they do to me if I miss them. And focus in the correct area for the station.

CM

You won't miss the left ones if you are focusing on the right area......

12. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

THE PROBLEM WITH HOLDING ON THE CORNER OR RIGHT OF THE CORNER IS THAT YO MAY MISS THE LEFT ANGLE BIRDS...SMOKIT

13. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

You have a lot to think about from the above, but the thing that I have found is left hand shooters miss left hand targets the most and right hand shooters miss right hand targets the most because you tend to pushing the gun away from your face on hard rights if your right handed and pushing it away from your face on left hand targets if your left handed.

Keep that head tight on the stock and as mentioned above watch your foot position. Swing from the waist and don't push the gun away from your face.

14. warren

warren Member

When I have trouble with either hard angle it's usually because when I search for the target at those angles I start crossfiring. Have someone watch you and see just what is happening. Just my thoughts.

warren

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Do as wayne says and just be sure you are in front of the target before you pull the trigger. I hold level with the height of the front of the house.

You know it will either be a straight away or it will be a right angle. If it is a straight away, be sure to raise your gun as necessary to break the target. Same advice for near straight aways when on post 3.

You can be in front of it consirerbly....and still break the target...but you can not be behind it at all. Ray

16. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

What old cowboy said, the elbow up will make you pivot upper body instead of arms swinging at that hard right which will pull your head off gun. jim w

17. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I stand almost square to the trap house, and point the toes of my left foot approximately where I want to break the bird,or a little to the right of there, and my right foot out about where I want to break the right bird. This works for my shooting style, your style may be different.

Elbow up, to make a good pocket for your gun, and also to raise it a little so you have less of a tendency to lift your head. Also, the elbow being held up loosens your back muscles, allowing for an easier swing. Try mounting your gun with your elbows low, and swing from side to side. Remember how far you can swing, then try the same swing with your elbows elevated. You should find you can swing further in each direction, with less pulling in your back muscles.

If you have a REAL hard time with hard rights, try adjusting your stance a little to the right, bit by bit, until you find a comfortable swing. Remember, as a right handed shooter, you are pushing the gun right, and pulling it left. It is easier to pull a weight than to push it, so you cheat your body position a bit, making it easier to accomplish the pushing, or swing to the right, motion. Just remember not to go too far right, because you will still have left hand birds to shoot.

18. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

If you lock the machine down to throw all hard rights you will figure it out a lot faster. Bob

19. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

I'll say the same thing as several others, just a little different: the one thing I make sure I'm doing on post 5 is to imagine a line that I'm standing on is absolutely parallel with the walkway for post 5. That will have you standing with your back to the guy on post 4, and that's what you want. Makes the hard rights a little easier to see and hit, while you keep your face on the stock. Good luck.

Jerry

20. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

All good advice and suggestion above.
    Do a practice regime of 5 from One, 5 from Three, 10 from Five, 5 from One and 5 More from Five.
    Obviously you must be on the trap field alone or with someone who also cares about getting better.
    Try to add this regime for at least one box of ammo (more is better) at least twice per week (more is better).

Also take an "I can do this" mental attitude. Very important.
    Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.