1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta687EELL, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've heard comments about hard and soft primers in the past and never paid much attention since I never had a problem. A friend of mine was commenting that he wondered if hard primers would wear a firing pin. I expect that is true, if the primer metal is harder or as hard as the firing pin.

The question is ... does anyone know what primer brands are soft? Thanks, Bill Malcolm

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll EVER find a primer cup as hard as a firing pin but you will find that hard metals used in primer cups don't stretch as well as soft metal primer cups and they tend to get punctured by firing pins more easily.

Most of the "chipped" firing pins I've looked at have instead been "burned" by primer gases escaping through a small hole made in the primer cup.

I have had 0 problems in any gun I own with Winchester, Remington, Federal and CCI. I have regularly punched holes in Cheddites, Fiocchi and Rio and holed Nobel Sports with some guns and not others.

I can usually tell if a primer will pierce or not by shooting just a couple and looking at the spent primer in the hull: if the primer shows a clean small dimple in the center while the metal around the dimple is undisturbed, the cup metal is soft and the primer will probably not pierce. If the dimple large and pushed to one side while the metal around the dimple is also dished out to the edge of the primer cup, the cup metal is harder and doesn't stretch easily so I know I'll punch holes in some of them. (My observations, not claiming a universal rule.)

Keller

3. Raystownbob

Raystownbob Active Member

I'm not sure about shotshell primers but Federal pistol primers are softer than CCI. I previously used CCI primers in my S&W revolvers and when I went to lower power springs and did trigger jobs on them got quite a few misfires, especially shooting single action. Changed to the Federals and that was the end of the problem.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Fiocchi primers will not fire reliably in my 90T, no other problems with any brand of primer.

My 1100s fire Fiocchi without problems.

I believe it's 50-50, gun and primer.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.